Black apricot is a hybrid of apricot and cherry plum. Varieties of apricots of this type are not very many. They can differ in characteristics, features of cultivation. However, the fruits always have a rich black color with a burgundy or purple hue. Apricot The Black Prince is known worldwide. This article presents its characteristics and features of cultivation.
Description of Apricot Variety Black Prince
In apricot, the Black Prince is a powerful tree, but compact - of medium height. The crown is not thickened. Bark gray, with a dark green shade. There may be spines on skeletal branches, but not many. The leaves are small, oval-shaped, serrated edge. The leaf is located on a thin, short petiole. Flowering later, in comparison with many other stone fruits. Buds are pale pink or white.
Buds are pale pink or whiteImportant! Due to the late flowering, the buds do not freeze during the spring, return frosts.
Fruits weighing about 80 g, and looks very similar to peaches. The flesh is elastic, orange or burgundy. The rind is dense, pubescent, almost black, with a burgundy tinge after full maturation. The stone is medium in size, it does not move away very well from the pulp - it damages the integrity of apricot halves a little. The taste is sweet, sour, there may be a slight tartness.
The merits of apricot Black PrinceRead also these articles.
- Grade of Bazhen's grapes
- Five-Minute Blackcurrant Jam Recipes
- Chilli Cucumber
- Royal jelly
Fruits weighing about 80 g and looks very similar to peaches
The apricot variety Black Prince has many positive qualities. Breeders distinguish it as one of the best in characteristics from all black varieties of apricot.
- Apricots ripen quite early.
- Color completely unusual, black.
- The Black Prince tastes at the same time like apricot, plum and cherry plum.
- Productivity is high.
- This variety of apricot fruits every year, but abundant crops can be harvested only once every 2 years.
- Apricot The Black Prince has the commodity qualities of fruits, however, the transportability of the variety is average.
- The tree is resistant to a wide variety of diseases. Especially strong immunity to moniliozu, klyasterosporozy, cytosporosis.
- The pest invasions of this tree is also stable, it is quickly restored after the removal of insects.
- Winter hardiness is high, which in combination with early ripening, allows you to grow a variety not only in the southern regions, but also in the central, northern.
The flesh is elastic, orange or burgundy
Lack of variety
Apricot Tree Black Prince - samobblednoe. To achieve high yields, you need to plant 1-2 varieties of cherry plum or plum, apricots of the same flowering period. This will provide a full pollination and as a result - active fruit set.
It should also be borne in mind that after full ripening, the fruits become quite soft. If they are not collected literally on the same day when they have ripened, apricots begin to fall to the ground and break. There are usually no whole fruits left on the ground, because ripe apricot The Black Prince has a very tender, juicy and soft pulp, she can choke even in a bucket, and upon impact the peel easily breaks and the fruit deforms, starts saping and starts to rot quickly.
Apricot The Black Prince is harvested before he reaches his consumer ripeness
Because of this feature, the Black Prince collects apricot before it reaches its consumer ripeness. Fruits should be black or almost black, with a pronounced aroma, but at the same time - elastic! Only in this case, it is possible to harvest the crop normally, to transport it, and to wait at home until the apricots ripen.
Features of landing of the Black PrinceWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Budennovskaya horse breed
- Radish variety Sora
- Akhal-Teke horse
- Rabbits of meat breeds
Growing apricot Black Prince is not difficult, if you know how to do it. The place for landing is chosen solar, protected from a strong wind, draft. Often culture is planted near the southern walls of a house, a shed or other buildings. For normal development, culture requires an area of 5 square meters.
The land for cultivation is taken mixed (peat, clay, sand). Fertilizers (humus, potassium salt, superphosphate) for planting are also taken, but in small quantities. Seedlings are selected strong, not damaged, with a wet earthy ball. Groundwater must be located low, otherwise the root may rot.Important! Very good and quickly take root and develop this variety, if it is grafted onto another culture. In this case, you can begin to receive the harvest as early as 2 years after vaccination!
Seedlings are selected strong, not damaged, with a wet earthy ball
It is possible to plant a tree in the spring when the earth warms up or in the fall, in the middle of September. Before planting, it is necessary to lower the roots for half an hour into the solution with a growth stimulator. The pit for planting is done at a depth of 80 cm. At the bottom of the drainage is poured, and then a mixture of sand and peat. You also need to install a peg for the garter.
Approximately 1.5 kg of wood ash is added to the planting mixture (fertilizer, garden soil). The earth mix is poured by a hill in a hole. A sapling is placed on it, the roots are spread out on all sides. After that, you need to start to fill the roots so that the root neck is located 3 cm above the ground level.
After the earth is filled up, a small ditch is made around the tree, 2 buckets of water are poured into it. The earth will sit down a little while. It remains only to fill the ground in the near-stem circle, compact it with the hands and tie the tree to the peg.
How to care for apricot
Due to the strong immunity and small size, it is not at all difficult for the Black Prince to care for a tree.
- Watering for this crop is very important. They are carried out regularly, abundantly, but from the middle of summer it is necessary to reduce the introduction of water. The fact is that with an abundance of moisture young pagons begin to form. They mature slowly and do not have time to get stronger by the winter, and therefore freeze. If watering is reduced, new pagons will be formed in small quantities, they will be able to mature properly and the winter will not be terrible for them.
Abundant watering contribute to the formation of young pagon
- In the spring and autumn preventive treatments are made from pests. Diseases can also be sprayed with some systemic fungicide to support culture immunity.
- Several times during the season, it is necessary to loosen the earth in a circle. All weeds are destroyed so that they do not take nutrients from the soil.
- Apricot dressing Black Prince is carried out with organic fertilizers, in small quantities. For the season it is enough to do 1-2 dressings, no more.
- Trimming is carried out once a year. It is necessary to remove sick, damaged branches, as well as those that grow incorrectly, prevent other pagons from developing, obscure the fruits from the sun, or simply are twisted inside the crown, and not outward, as it should be.
Harvesting and processing
Black prince varieties of apricot harvested as they mature
Black prince varieties of apricot are harvested as they mature. The first apricots can be picked at the end of July or at the beginning of August. Fruits come off usually without problems. If you need to transport the crop over considerable distances, collect only unripe fruit.Important! Ripe apricots Black Prince have a soft, juicy flesh. They quickly deteriorate after collection, so you need to use them for processing as quickly as possible.
The fruits of universal use. From this apricot you can cook jams, compotes, jams and other winter preparations. In addition, they are suitable for freezing, drying, and, of course, for fresh consumption.
Reviews of apricot variety Black Prince
Apricot The Black Prince is popular with many gardeners. It is easy to grow, productive and has almost no flaws.
- Rostislav Levdo: "The appearance of this apricot is simply incredible. The skin is black, the flesh is dark orange inside. The fruits are juicy, sweet, sometimes tart, but still very tasty! The size of the fruit is less than peach, but more simple apricots. Yields are regular, but by quantity different. In one year he collected 4 buckets of fruit from a tree, and only 1.5 buckets next season. "
- Olga Mazhaeva: The Black Prince has been growing apricot since 2015. It has a pleasant taste, something between apricot and plum. I like the juicy apricots to use for squeezing the juice. I also make jams from them, I take only unripe fruits for this, otherwise I can Jam, compotes are good. Frozen fruits do not change the taste, but the form is lost after thawing. So you can use the harvest using a variety of methods and this is especially pleasant in this variety. "
- Maria Zueva: "The black prince chose because of high immunity. My tree grows next to a peach, which is often sick, but the apricot is completely healthy, is not affected in any way. Sometimes wormy fruits sometimes come across, but no tree is immune from this if chemistry is not used I process my culture with biological fungicides and insecticides in spring and autumn. I am glad that the tree is resistant to frosts, I only put mulch under it for the winter, nothing more, and it tolerates cold, and in the spring it starts growing with the same strength. "