Chickens Bentamki unite a large subcategory of feathered birds that are grown for a variety of purposes. In this case, the species may not be at all like each other, because Bentam is considered to be egg, meat, decorative, dwarf hens. The most common types and characteristics of the breed of hens Bentamok described in this article.
Description of the breed of chicken Bentamka
Benthams for external qualities can vary greatly, but they also have common features. Mainly they are united by the bentam gene responsible for dwarfism. The weight of individuals of this type is usually low. Females grow about 500 g, and males - 1 kg. Birds have a small, dense body with abundant plumage.
Photos of Altai Bentamka chickensImportant! Bentams can be grown in cold climatic zones, but in this case it is necessary to warm the coop for them, to carry out heating.
The Bentamak chickens live in groups, while the roosters always take care of the females, and the females, in turn, hatch and nestle the chicks.
Efficiency of hens BentamokRead also these articles.
- Sheep diseases
- Dutch radish varieties
- Fertilizers for flowers
- California rabbits
Depending on the variety, the productive qualities of the Bantamok may differ slightly. But in principle, they are all similar in this regard.
- Meat productivity is low, because dwarf chickens weigh a little. At the same time the taste of the meat is decent. It is soft, juicy, suitable for diet food. It tastes like a game.
Photo of Dutch Dutch Bentham breed
- Puberty occurs in 5-7 months. Females from this time begin to give eggs weighing 40-50 g on average. Eggs Bentams give steadily.
- Egg production on average - 100 eggs / year, in some breeds, such as Altai - 140 eggs / year. Eggs are delicious, nutritious, low in cholesterol.
- Females of most species of Bantamock have a strong maternal instinct.
- The survival rate of young stock reaches 90%.
- You can grow this bird in chicken coops with other types of chickens.
Types of Bentham Chickens
There are many varieties of hens Bentamok. They differ primarily in external features and character.
- Altai Bantamka - decorative birds, known for their resistance to frost and quick adaptation to any conditions. Chickens are small, stocky. The chest, abdomen - sloping, back slightly rounded. The breed is active, friendly, but roosters can be aggressive.
Photos of the breed of chicken Beijing Bantam
- Dutch Bantams have black plumage and white, magnificent tuft on the head. He stands out greatly. Eyes are brilliant, round. The legs and beak are dark. The main problem of the species is that the crest is quickly smeared.
- Beijing Bentams look more than other individuals, but these are also dwarf chickens, they simply have abundant plumage, and the tail has a spherical shape. Legs are small, covered with feathers. Pen color can be speckled, black, white.
- Shabo - Bentams from Japan. They are short-footed, moving a little. The body is rounded, the wings reach to the ground. Roosters differ in that they have a large head with a massive, scarlet comb and a tall, long tail.
Photo of breed of chicken Bentamka Shabo
- Calico Bentham - the most beautiful Japanese type of decorative type. Their plumage is thick, beautiful, usually tricolor (black and white brushstrokes on a brown background). The head is small, the wings are well developed, reach the ground. Feet without feathers, medium height.
- Benthamka Seabright - decorative hens for exhibitions. The plumage can be silver or gold with canvas. It is an active, very fast bird, albeit a small one. Character calm. The head is medium sized, comb pink. Females do not like to hatch eggs.
Breed conditionsWe recommend reading our other articles.
- The best wine grapes
- Hydroponic systems
- Recipes for crispy salted cucumbers
- The best varieties of dill
Chickens breed Bentamka differ from simple breeds in terms of content. It is more simple, not laborious.
Conditions of keeping hens of Bentham
- Keep the bird need to chicken coops, outdoor. The chicken coop is built in such a size that all individuals have enough space. An average of 5 chickens should be per square meter.
- Drafts, dampness in the room are excluded, but a ventilation system must be established. It is also important to make the lighting so that in winter you can increase the light day.
- If the coop is insulated so that the zamoi has a temperature of about +18 degrees inside, these dwarf chickens will rush even during the cold season.
- The litter is made from straw or sawdust. You need to change it once every 3 months and just turn it once a week.
- 1-2 pelvis with sand and ashes are installed in the hen house so that the birds bathe in them, cleaning their feathers.
- The molting period begins at 13-15 months and lasts 12-16 weeks. At this time it is possible to reject some birds. If the chicken slowly changes the feather cover, evenly, then it will have low productivity, the benefits of such an individual except aesthetic. Shedding seasonal occurs depending on the climate. Spring falls on March-April, summer - on July (duration 3-4 weeks). Autumn molt longest - 1.5 months, begins in September.
The walk is made spacious with mesh fence.
- The walk is made spacious with a fence so that the hens of Bentham will not fly away from the pen. At the same time you need to know that some breeds, such as the Altai Benthamka, fly very well and even the high fence almost never holds them back. So that the bird does not fly away, you need to make a net roof in the pen, that is, you should have something like a huge cage.
- When a disease or suspicion appears, you need to separate the painful individual separately and call the veterinarian. He establishes the type of illness, examines all individuals and prescribes treatment. The faster to respond to the disease, the higher the chance to avoid an epidemic and a massive death!
Feeding Bentam's hens
Photo of breed chickens Calico Bentham
Bentams chickens eat much less than other breeds of chickens. They are economical, but in order to egg production and meat quality, the feather was high, you need to have enough vitamins and minerals in the feed. The basis of the feed - cereals (millet, millet, oats, corn, crushed). You also need to give sunflower cake, bran.
Vegetable mash made as often as possible, about once every 1-3 days. They are interfered with greens, vegetables (roots, zucchini, pumpkin), bone meal. A crushed shell, gravel, and sand are poured in a separate container. If necessary, the chickens will peck the mixture so that the food is better digested.
The water in the troughs changes once a day. If nipple drinkers, you can change the water more often. In spring, winter, autumn, when there are not many useful herbs and vegetables, you can add vitamins to the water. The same is necessary in case of occurrence of diseases, to maintain the immunity of birds.Interesting! To increase the nutritional value of food, you can add chalk, flour worm, bone meal and cottage cheese.
Photo of breed of chicken Bentamka Sibrayt
Dwarf chickens feed 3 times a day, but if during the day they walk on a walk and they have access to green grasses, worms and bugs, then they can be fed 2 times a day - in the morning and evening. Food is poured at about the same time so that birds get accustomed to a certain mode.
Benthams usually hatch eggs with great eagerness, therefore, they can be diluted both naturally and by means of an incubator. The period of hatching eggs is 21 days, which is slightly less than that of ordinary chickens. Under the female at a time you can put up to 12 eggs.
Chicks can take care of the chicks. Sometimes they are grown in brooders at a temperature of +34 degrees in the first few days. A week after the young are born, the temperature starts to drop, so that the chicks will get used to the normal air temperature.
Conditions of breeding hens Bentamka
Forage, cleanliness in a brooder or in a chicken coop, where the female takes care of the young, should be checked daily. Food should be enough for everyone. Cleaning is carried out 1-2 times a day. This will help avoid the risk of pests. In the early days, chickens will be fed mostly with boiled eggs, greens, and dairy products. Vegetables are introduced from about 2 weeks, and by 3 weeks, chickens should switch to dry mash, as well as adults.
Reviews of breed bentamka
Chickens Bentamki known for their beautiful appearance and unpretentiousness. The feedback on them is mostly positive.
- Victoria Kolesnichenko: “I have been breeding Bentamok for many years. The birds are decorative, so I allow free-running all over the site. They are not aggressive, although the rooster sometimes shows its temper. They reproduce rather quickly. I don’t use the incubator because the females gladly sit on the clutch. For young chickens look good, all I have to do is give food and keep it clean. So the bird is amazing - I advise everyone to. "
- Marina Kriulya: "Altay Bentamka was my dream. I bought a bird abroad to be purebred. Chickens are small, they are very interesting - they are curious, they are active. Adult birds have a beautiful color. Chickens like to walk, and roosters sometimes fight, but not often. The only one the problem is that the cocks do not fall silent from 4 to 7 in the morning. In the summer, this is a real problem because our hen house is not far from home. "
- Michael Grechko: “Betamkas are very different in behavior from ordinary chickens. They are much more interesting, they are curious to watch. We grow our handsome men in a chicken coop, but every day we let out in an open-air cage. Females willingly sit on eggs, take care of their offspring, and roosters always protect chickens! they don’t eat a lot of food, they don’t eat a lot. We usually stop grains, mash of fresh vegetables for them. In the fall, silage, root crops and some premixes are used to prevent avitaminosis. ”