Orchid is a very beautiful plant. In nature, it grows on stones and trees, and at home it is grown in a substrate of moss, shredded tree bark. Since the culture is quite delicate and the soil is needed for it is unusual, young gardeners often wonder how to water the orchid at home. This article describes the methodology and features of this procedure.
How to water the orchid
Before you decide on the frequency of watering, method, you need to familiarize yourself with the features of watering orchids.
- Watering orchids at home is carried out only after the substrate dries in a pot.
- Temperature, humidity, crop size, pot, lighting - these factors directly affect the amount and how often the plant is watered.
- Water for irrigation should ideally be rainwater. But if it is not possible to collect it, you can just take a soft, warm water. Tap water needs to be settled for 2 days before use. To speed up the process, you can pass it through the filter.
When watering, the water temperature should not be below +35 ° C
- If the water is hard, you can soften it with simple peat. It is put in a bag and immersed in water for 2-3 hours. After the time, you need to get a bag of peat and use the water for its intended purpose.
- Distilled water for irrigation is not suitable, because it does not contain nutrient salts, which are so necessary for the plant. Before use, such water must be mixed with settled.
- Water temperature should not be below +35 ° C.
- If the flower is on the sunny windowsill (south side), or is on a loggia, where the sun's rays can fall on it, then watering is carried out in the morning, in the evening. If the flower is darkened from the sun, then watering can be carried out at any time of the day.
- Water is poured into the pot gently so that it does not stand in the leaf axils, otherwise the process of decay will begin.
How to understand that it is time to water the orchidRead also these articles.
- Spring wheat
- Shire Horse
- Breeding quails as a business
- Raspberry variety "Reward"
Many growers are wondering how often to water the orchids? In principle, at a normal temperature, when it is neither cold nor hot, watering is carried out once a week. If the room is cool, then the irrigation interval is increased to 10 days. More frequent watering is needed during flowering and in hot summer.
To understand that the orchid needs water, you can use a toothpickImportant! If you improperly water the orchid at home, then it may stop blooming or even die. It is worth remembering one golden rule - it is better to skip the watering of an orchid than to water it too often, because the abundance of moisture is much worse for it than the lack of water.
To understand that the orchid needs water is very simple. To do this, gently insert a wooden toothpick into the substrate, and take it out after a few seconds. If it remains dry, then watering is necessary, but if the stick is wet, then the flower can not be watered. You need to use the wand to check the moisture of the substrate very carefully so as not to damage the orchid's roots!
Methods of watering orchids at home
How to water the orchid right? There are four methods to carry out this procedure.
- Top watering is carried out using a simple watering can. Water is poured into the pot along the inner edge of the pot. As soon as it reaches the pallet, the water stops pouring. It is possible not to pour out the liquid from the pallet that will accumulate there, it will be absorbed by the substrate if necessary.
- Immersion method The pot is placed in the basin with water for 15-20 minutes. The substrate during this time is saturated with water. Then take out the pot and put it in its original place. This method of irrigation will suit any orchid. It is often used to water the Phalaenopsis orchid. The method is very simple and does not require special knowledge and skills.
- It is usually watered in the pan to bloom orchids, or if they are already in bloom. To do this, water is poured into the pan (you can add fertilizer to it). A flower is placed in it, and the substrate will be absorbed as needed. The only drawback of this method is that you need to constantly wash the pallet, because it is quickly smeared.
A warm shower is a method for a plant akin to tropical rain.
- Warm shower. This method for a plant is akin to a tropical rain. It allows not only to nourish the roots of the plant, but also to clean the leaves from dust. The plant for this is carried into the bath, in a watering can with a shower head, warm, defended water is poured in and started to be poured onto the plant. After the procedure, the culture is left for 1-2 hours in the bathroom, so that the water from the leaves is glass, and the excess moisture from the pot will also be drained. After that, you can put the plant in place. In the summer, such irrigation is recommended to be done 2-3 times a month, and in the cold season - once a month.
Any of these methods can be used both in winter and in summer, the main thing is that the water meets the requirements of the plant.
Spraying orchidsWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Description cucumber varieties Adam F1
- Strawberry mulching
- The best varieties of gooseberry
- Pig Premixes
Spraying for orchids is useful if it is not carried out often. During spraying, the spray is directed to the plant at a distance of 20-25 cm. For the procedure, separated or boiled, warm water is used. Of course, in boiled water there are practically no useful substances, which is important to consider.Important! Spraying can lead to burns on the leaves, if the plant is standing in the sun! And in the winter this procedure provokes the development of diseases.
Spraying is useful for orchids if it is not often done.
Spray is carried out only during the warm period of the year, about once a day or a little less. Make the procedure early in the morning. It is desirable that the spray sprayed water in small drops, rather than large ones. Most orchids tolerate this procedure well, but for the Miltonia species, spraying is never carried out, because the plant does not tolerate it.
How to water an orchid after purchase
After buying orchids do not usually water for a while. A pot with a flower is brought into the house, installed in a permanent place and you just need to let it adjust. At this time, watering is not carried out. For the period while the orchid adapts to the new conditions, the substrate will dry out well and the risk of overmoistening of the earth will disappear. After that, you can irrigate with clean water and conduct subsequent irrigations with a normal frequency - once a week.It is important! To prevent water from stagnating in the pot, it is necessary to make a good drainage layer of 4-5 cm in it.
How often to water the plant after transplantation
After transplanting orchid plentifully watered
Orchid transplantation is carried out after the acquisition of the culture or when the plant is awakened from hibernation. This plant does not like large pots, because the roots develop poorly in them. So you need to take the pot small, preferably transparent, so that you can follow the development of the root system.
How to water the orchid after transplanting? After the procedure, the orchid is watered abundantly so that the substrate absorbs water. Then you need to put the pot for 20 minutes in a bowl with warm water and put it in a dark place. When the specified time passes, the flower is taken out, put in a pan and determined to a permanent place.
The transplanted plant, which is so abundantly saturated with water, is not watered for the next 2 weeks. Water can only harm, because the culture needs to get used to a new pot, go through a period of adaptation. After 2 weeks, the plant will recover and grow, then it will begin to be watered according to the standard scheme.
How to water the orchids amber acid
Succinic acid is a biological growth stimulant.
Succinic acid is a biological growth stimulant. Watering succinic acid for orchids is recommended during the period of adaptation of the plant (after purchase, transplanting) or if it is painful, so that it can recover faster. Succinic acid is useful for stimulating plant growth, the formation of new roots, leaves. Moreover, this substance can save a dying plant, reanimate it.
So, how to make a solution at home? To do this, mix 1 tablet of the drug with a liter of warm water. But, since the tablet dissolves poorly, it is best to first crush it and then dissolve it in water.Important! During the rest period (in winter), there is no irrigation with succinic acid.
You can use the solution in different ways - wipe the leaves with it, spray the plant, water the culture from a watering can or immerse the roots in a pan with this composition.
When watering is reduced
Orchid Phalaenopsis for example, forced to bloom in winter by a sharp reduction in watering
Reduced watering is necessary for those types of orchids that need a period of rest (oncidium, dendrobium, cattley). For them, watering begins to reduce from October. Since December, this procedure is carried out no more than 1 time per month. But since March, watering is resumed with the same frequency.It is important! To understand that the plant is in a period of rest is not difficult. Actively growing orchid has green, water-saturated roots. If the plant goes into a dormant period, its aerial roots become white, covered with velamen.
To bloom orchids at home, watering is usually reduced. Orchid Phalaenopsis, for example, is forced to bloom in winter with a sharp reduction in irrigation (every 15 days). To do this, you also need to rearrange the flower in a dark place with a temperature of up to + 16 ° C. In this case, the flower begins to bloom and gives buds until the summer.
How to water a blooming orchid
To provoke flowering, watering is usually reduced. But as soon as the plant has released flower stalk, you need to start watering more often. So, how many times a week do you need to water a flowering plant? Usually this is done every 3-4 days, while the amount of water is reduced. You need to constantly check the substrate so that there is not very much water!
Blooming orchid at home is watered in the morning, so that within a day the water soaks into the roots or at least gets a normal temperature for the flower. Experts recommend at this time to conduct watering with a warm shower. It is believed that this stimulates the strength of the plant, and flowering is prolonged.