Astakhov's sweet cherry is ideal for cultivation in the central and northern regions of Russia and countries with similar climatic conditions. With its creation, breeders set out to get a winter-hardy variety with a sweet berry. As a result, this type of sweet cherry was obtained. This variety is popular for its quality characteristics. A detailed study of its description, methods of planting and care can be in this article.
The variety was obtained by the breeder M. V. Kanshina, who called a sweet cherry named for her husband - A. I. Astakhov
The variety was obtained by the breeder M. V. Kanshina, who called a sweet cherry named for her husband - A. I. Astakhov. Breeding work was completed in the 1970s in Bryansk. To create a new species used selected hybrid and cellular material. Other well-known Russian scientists also influenced the cultivation of the variety. Officially, the variety was registered only in 2011. By this time, it was already widespread in the northern and central parts of Russia.
The people call this sweet cherry differently - Astakhov, In memory of Astakhov or Lyubimits Astakhov. Cherries are ranked among the northern group of cultivated trees. It tolerates severe frosts, has a high yield. Sweet Cherry In memory of Astakhov is recommended for cultivation in the central regions of the country, in the southern part of the Urals. With proper care, it can develop in the conditions of Siberia.
Berries are oval, almost maroon
Description of Astakhov Cherry varietyRead also these articles.
- How and what to feed ducklings from birth
- Watermelon Grade AU Producer
- Apricot Shalah
- Breed Italian Geese
Sweet Cherry Astakhova has a medium term maturation of berries. Harvest can be collected from about the first days of July, sometimes the berries ripen from the middle of this month. The tree is medium height, growing up to 4 meters. The pagons are brown-gray in color, and after shedding foliage, in the fall they become silver-colored. The crown is spreading, not very thick, oval-shaped. The leaves are dull, green in color, in the shape of an ellipse with jagged edges. In size, they are average. Flowering occurs in May, the flowers are collected in a bouquet of twigs.
Berries of medium size, weighing 4-5 g each, record figures - 8 g. Berries are oval, almost burgundy in color. The peel is dense, smooth monophonic. The flesh is bright red, elastic with a high content of juice. Stone without problems moving away from the pulp. Taste is pleasant, harmonious, sugar, like in southern species.
The leaves are dull, green, in the shape of an ellipse with jagged edges
Characteristics of sweet cherry Favorite Astakhov
Astakhov's Cherry has good characteristics, thanks to which many gardeners speak positively about it.
- The variety is partially self-fertile, without pollinators, it gives a little crop, but if you plant pollinators near a crop, the yield will increase by 2-3 times. And if there is not much space in the garden, then the pollinator can be grafted onto the cherry pagon.
- The first fruiting is observed from 5 years after planting.
- The yield from the culture of about 10 kg of berries. Fruiting annual, without interruption.
Partially self-fruited variety
- Variety suitable for long-term transportation.
- Commercial quality berries, dense, fragrant.
- There is a strong immunity to moniliozu and klyasterosporiozu.
- Winter hardiness at a high level, frost at -30 degrees tolerates without problems.
Peculiarities of the sweet cherry planting in memory of AstakhovWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Melon collective farmer
- Bunker feeders for chickens
- Variety of pears Northerner
- How to keep Vietnamese piglets
It is recommended to plant a Astakhov variety tree in the southern part of the garden. It is desirable that the site was protected from strong winds. The land should be fertilized, loose, not sour.Important! It is best to plant a tree in the spring, when the earth will thaw, but the buds on the trees have not yet opened. In the fall, this variety is better not to plant.
Planting a tree of Astakhov variety is recommended in the southern part of the garden
A seedling for planting is taken no older than 3 years, without damage, with a developed root. Before planting, you need to inspect the young culture. Any damaged parts of the root need to be cut off, then it is soaked in water or a growth stimulator. All leaves must be removed, because they take away the power of the plant.
The pit for planting is done at a depth of 50 cm and a diameter of about 80 cm. A drainage is made at the bottom, then a hill of fertile land. A sapling is established on this hill, the roots should not be one lump, but spread out in all directions. Now you can sleep the roots so that the neck peeks over the soil by 4 cm. If the trunk of the tree is sluggish above, then it can be cut to a third, not more. It remains only to tie the seedling to the peg and pour 2 buckets of warm water.
In the care of sweet cherry Astakhov memory unpretentious. Behind her do not need a serious, painstaking, care, but some standards will have to comply.
- Watering is carried out about once every 7 days. Approximately 1-2 buckets of water are poured into the basal zone at a time, and in drought the norm rises 2-3 times
- Top dressing is carried out from 2 years after planting. Nitrogen minerals are added in spring, while potash minerals are added during opening, and phosphate minerals are added in autumn. In addition, once in 3 years, 10-20 kg of humus is introduced under the digging of the near-wall zone.
- Pruning is reduced to a minimum, because Cherry Astakhova’s Sweet Pet tolerates her poorly. Forming is done very carefully and as needed. Once every few years, it is necessary to cut dry pagons and curved ones. Mandatory scheduled inspection is carried out only in case of tree damage by diseases.
Preparing for frost is mulching the root zone
- To culture did not hurt before the swelling of the kidneys, Bordeaux fluid treatment is carried out. During the flowering period, the procedure is repeated by means of Zircon or Ecoberin. Of the pests for this variety is dangerous cherry fly. To prevent its invasion can be treated with insecticides during flowering.
- Preparing for frost is mulching the root zone. Peat or humus is used as mulch. Trees up to 4 years old are recommended to be wound over the winter with insulating material.
Cherry harvest and processing
Crop harvested as ripening
Crop harvested as ripening. Cherry Astakhov has a universal use. Harvesting is best in the morning, because at this time the berries are the most dense. For storage of fruits use the refrigerator. It is better not to keep them for more than 3 days, but to use them immediately for sale or for processing and eating. The variety is suitable for any type of processing - drying, canning, freezing, baking.
Reviews on Astakhov Cherry Variety
Cherries Astakhova varieties of high quality characteristics and unpretentiousness, so the reviews about it mostly positive.
- Maxim Zaitsev: “I have been cultivating the Cherry Memory Astakhov variety for 5 years. The tree has grown beautiful, they have even tried the berries! The cherry is tasty, very sweet, and the fact that there are not a lot of problems with leaving is important. it often starts up. Otherwise, there are no particular problems with this variety. "
- Vadim Kravchenko: “I planted this variety a few years ago to diversify the garden. I’m already growing Iput, I hope that this species will be no worse. I haven’t tried the berries yet, but according to reviews, I heard that they are not bad. food goes - we sell most of it. In the care, so far the tree has not been naughty, it irrigates, feeds well, responds well, and the fact that it normally endures frosts. "
- Igor Koshkin: "The Astakhov variety is one of the best for the colder regions. We have long winters, so we need a frost-resistant tree. This species was chosen because of the pleasant taste of the berries. The frost tree tolerates well, but since our temperature often drops below -35 degrees, then we additionally warm it and in winter we put more snow on the branches. "