In the natural environment of gloriosa grows in tropical forests of Asia and Africa. Initially, this culture was attributed to the lily family, and now to the melantia family. It has several varieties. The name of this plant received from the Latin Gloria, which means "glory". The culture has a spectacular look and is popular with many lovers of tropical flowers.
What is Gloriosa
Leaves elongate-lanceolate mounted on branches 3 pieces or opposite
Gloriosa is a herbaceous, perennial culture. Tuberous root. Stems curly, covered with a large number of leaves. They are very fragile, so you need to work with them carefully during the garter. Leaves elongate-lanceolate mounted on branches 3 pieces or opposite. Peduncles emerge from the leaf sinuses at the top of the pagons. They bloom beautiful flowers.Interesting! Gloriosa is known for its beauty and elementary care. Even tying it up is not necessary, but in this case, it is better to grow the plant in pots so that it streams down and does not curl up.
Peduncles emerge from the leaf sinuses at the top of the pagons
Flowering occurs in the summer. The flower usually blooms and bends, and the perianth rises. It looks very impressive. Initially, flowers are usually yellow, but over time they change color to red. Flowers bloom one by one. In one season, about 7 inflorescences bloom on the plant.
Types of GloriosaRead also these articles.
- What can and should not be given to turkeys
- Breeding quails as a business
- Garlic Rokambol
- Carrot variety Shantane
There are several main varieties of gloriosa, which are used as indoor plants.
Photo Rothschild Gloriosa (Gloriosa rothschildiana)
- Gloriosa Rothschild (Gloriosa rothschildiana) are distinguished by the fact that at first its stems are straight but begin to curl with age. Leaflets oblong, with a sharp tip, up to 8 cm in length. Flowers appear from the sinuses. Pedicels up to 10 cm. Wavy petals, bent. The color is dark red, and below there are purple dots. Flowering occurs in summer.
Photo Gloriosa magnificent (Gloriosa superba)
- Gloriosa gorgeous (Gloriosa superba) - this is the most popular variety for home breeding. It looks beautiful, decorative. Loves to grow on clay soil in natural conditions. It grows up to 2 meters. The leaves are elongated, pointed, grow alternately, reach a length of 10 cm. Axillary flowers, with wrinkled petals up to 8 cm. The color of the petals in the lower inner part is yellow, the top is bright scarlet, and the outside is pinkish. Flowering occurs throughout July.
Photo Gloriosa simple (Gloriosa simplex)
- Gloriosa is simple (Gloriosa simplex) - grows up to 150 cm. Leaflets up to 8 cm in, glossy, slightly wavy. Buds with curved petals up to 5 cm. The color of the flower is green-yellow with an orange tint. It blooms in summer, pretty plentiful.
Reproduction and planting
The reproduction of the plant of Gloriosa takes place either by seed, either by tubers. Reproduction tubers most simple option. Young tubers are separated from the parent plant. They fall off without problems after they mature. For planting young tubers need a pot with a diameter of 13-14 cm. The soil mixture is made of 1 part sod, 0.5 parts sand and 2 parts of humus and leaf soil.
Young tuber sprout up and sprinkle 2-3 cm, not more! Now the pot is determined in a room with a temperature of + 20 ° C on average. It is also recommended that the pot stand on something warm, so that the earth and tuber warms up. As soon as a sprout appears, you can start watering the plant (you don’t need to). Stems as they grow tied to a support. Over the year, the plant can stretch a lot, and the tuber will increase, so the next year a larger pot is selected.
The flower usually blooms and bends, and the perianth risesImportant! The tubers of Gloriosa are poisonous, therefore it is necessary to put a flower away from animals and children.
Seed propagation is rarely used, because the plant will grow slowly. To get the seeds, it is necessary to pollinate the buds independently; for this, the flower stigma is transferred to the pollen from the flower. Only freshly harvested seeds are suitable for sowing. Sow the seeds in a low capacity. The soil is made of equal parts of peat, turf and sand. The seeds are deepened by an average of 0.5 cm. In order for the seeds to germinate, it is necessary that they are at + 20 ... +24 ° С. The first flowering in the case when the cultivation is carried out by seeds, is observed only for 3 year.
How to care for gloriosa at homeWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How to milk a goat
- When to plant squash for seedlings
- Bunker feeders for chickens
- The best grades of thick-walled sweet pepper
Growing gloriosa is not very time consuming. But you need to understand that if you care for the culture wrong, it will not be able to bloom in a timely manner. So, what kind of care is needed for gloriosa?
Root of Gloriosa is tuberous
- Gloriosa cannot grow without bright, diffused light. If the pot with it is placed on the window, it is better to choose the western or eastern. In the middle of a room, on a table or a bedside table, it can be placed only if there are large windows in the room and a lot of light comes inside. When placed on the south window, you will need to darken the plant from time to time, and on the north window-sill, you will not get any light.
- Normal spring and autumn temperature is +20 ... + 25 ° С. Cold wind, drafts for the plant are dangerous.
- Humidity needs increased. To achieve this, a wide pan for the pot is taken, a pebble or expanded clay is poured into it, moistened with water, and a plant is placed there. As the moisture evaporates from the stones, the humidity of the air will increase. Do not hurt in the summer to do and spraying. They clean the leaves of dust, and increase moisture.
Planting gloriosa tubersImportant! During active growth gloriosa can reach a height of 2 meters. This is undesirable, so it is recommended to constantly send it up and down, gently bending the stems.
- Home care involves maintaining normal humidity in the pot. Watering in spring and summer is carried out frequently so that the earth does not dry out. Only irrigated water is taken for irrigation. In winter, watering is not carried out at all.
- Top dressing is necessary throughout the period of budding. Apply for gloriosa liquid minerals for indoor flowers.
- Gloriosa is a liana-like plant. If you do not provide him feed, it will curl down, and not pulled up. So in the pot with him, as a rule, set support. Liana can cling to the antennae on the thin parts of the support, so it is desirable that they should be, or the stems are simply tied up in several places.
- Winter is a dormant period for gloriosa. In the fall of the last, the wilted flowers need to be removed, then the watering stops. Part of the plant that is above the ground as a result of dying. Tubers from the soil are taken out, covered with dry sand and stored at + 8 ... + 10 ° С. There they lie until spring planting.
Photos of Gloriosa Seeds
Pests and diseases
Strange spots on the leaves, the absence of buds, the sluggishness of the plant - all this indicates the appearance of pests or diseases. Most often on this plant the scythe is settling. To get rid of it, a manual assembly method and insecticide treatment is used. Of the diseases you need to fear powdery mildew. But you can get rid of it quite easily by means of a quality fungicide.
In addition, problems sometimes arise if cultivation is carried out incorrectly.
- Yellowing leaves is observed if care at home is wrong, namely, insufficient watering or humidity is very low.
- Root rot - the cause of stagnant water. At the same time, the tuber rots, the leaves turn yellow, and the shoots become soft and drooping.
- Falling foliage occurs when the temperature changes dramatically. In this case, the leaves droop, then turn brown, and the stems almost do not grow.
- Lack of buds or stunted growth may occur if there is insufficient lighting or if the tuber is damaged.
Planting Gloriosa Seeds
A transplant is needed annually, in spring. The capacity for this plant is better to take a ceramic, stable, wide and low. The soil is made of 4 parts of humus, 2 parts of hardwood and 0.5 parts of peat and sand. At the bottom of the pot is always a drainage, for removal of excess water.
A tuber that has wintered in the sand gets and looks for damage. When planting it must be placed horizontally. Tuber needs to be covered with soil only by 2-3 cm. There is only one kidney on the gloriosa tuber; if it dies, the sprout will not appear. Land after planting moistened. Acceptable germination temperature of the culture is +15 ... + 20 ° С. As soon as the stems appear, you can rearrange the pot on the illuminated window sill where gloriosa will grow.