Rabbits Poltava silver is an interesting and very productive breed. With proper breeding, it is possible to obtain meat and high-quality fur from individuals. On private small farms, small and large farms, this breed is in great demand. In breeding and maintenance of this species does not cause problems, animals are able to withstand significant frosts, but they need to eat properly.
The origin of rabbits Poltava silver
The breed was obtained in the Poltava region, as evidenced by its name. Breeders brought her when crossing the French Silver rabbits with Poltava. The result was an individual with a uniform gray color. The breed was officially registered in 1952, but at the end of the 20th century, the number of individuals sharply declined due to constant crossbreeding with other species. Today, for the most part, amateur farmers are engaged in the restoration and breeding of the breed.
Rabbit Exterior Poltava SilverInteresting! Rabbits Poltava silver have a very beautiful appearance. They are bright, playful and affectionate, so they can be bred as a pet, and not just to get meat or skins.
People also call this breed Soviet Silver or Silver Poltava. In the days of the former USSR, Poltava Silver gained great popularity among farmers. To this day, the breed is in great demand in private farms.
Description breed rabbitsRead also these articles.
- Carpathian bee breed
- Variety of garlic Gribovsky
- Plum grade Honey White
- How to prune apricot in spring
Rabbits of Poltava silver breed are rather large. The weight of rabbits can reach up to 7 kg, but more often about 5-6 kg. The body has the correct form, strong bones. The musculature is well developed. The back is straight, the chest is well developed. The legs are medium sized, the claws are brown. The head is small, elongated. The ears are straight, identical in size. The eyes are usually brown.
The weight of rabbits can reach up to 7 kg, but more often about 5-6 kg
The skin consists of gray wool (usually light gray) and blue down. The muzzle and paws may be dark gray, closer to black. The result is a bright color that is difficult to confuse with other breeds. The fur is very soft, gentle.
Characteristics of the breed Poltava silver
The breed has high quality characteristics, for which it is valued throughout Eastern Europe.
- Breed is adapted for cultivation in different climatic zones.
- Animals evolve quickly. Peak growth accounts for 3-6 months.
- Slaughter meat yield - 61%.
Meat is often called marble, which indicates high quality and low fat percentage.
- Meat is often called marble, which indicates high quality and low percentage of fat. It is appreciated all over the world for its pleasant taste and juiciness.
- Females are fertile. At a time can give up to 8 rabbits.
- Breed wool is quite expensive. The skin or simply combed, trimmed fur can be profitably sold. However, only good, well-groomed fur is suitable for sale!
Maintenance and careWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Flower Asiatic Lily
- Diplomatic Flower (Mandeville)
- Red Scarlet Potatoes
- Canned Beans
In the content of rabbits Poltava silver is a picky breed. Individuals are able to live both in warm and in cold regions. Moreover, the cold climate has a positive effect on the fur, but these animals withstand the heat with difficulty.Important! Poltava silver breed can be bred in large rabbit or in cages.
The rabbitry is built in such sizes that all individuals have enough space in it
- The rabbitry is built in such a size that there is enough space for all individuals. It is advisable to warm it so that in winter there is a positive temperature inside. Fur grows thick in cold animals, but at sub-zero temperatures individuals may start to hurt. So it should always be warm inside the room.
- Draft excluded completely! In the room where they contain the rabbits, there must be both artificial and natural light.
- When kept in cells, the latter are cleaned every day. If the rabbits are kept in a rabbit without cages, then the room itself is removed every 1-2 days, as far as pollution is concerned.
- If the claws are strongly grown, you need to cut them. To do this, use special scissors for animals.
- From time to time it is necessary to show the rabbits to the vet. He will be able to assess the condition of the animals and identify any ailments in time. In addition, it is important to do timely vaccinations, prevention of parasites, in order to avoid serious diseases or problems in the development of animals.
- About once a week you need to inspect the rabbits for mechanical damage. This also applies to those individuals that are contained in the cells and those that are on the free range.
Feeding the rabbits Poltava silver
They feed on these rabbits clearly in time, otherwise productivity decreases
In order for rabbits of Poltava silver to develop normally, they need to be properly fed and fed. They feed on these rabbits clearly in time, otherwise productivity decreases. Feeding for feed can be almost anything. But the most thick beautiful fur and tasty meat is obtained when feeding animals with animal feed, greens and premixes.
In the summer, you can let them out for grazing to find green grass, and in the winter hay is given instead. Premixes can be replaced by vegetables, fruits, but strictly following the dosage, so that animals do not start stomach problems. If the rabbits are not given compound feed, it is necessary to replace it with grain feeds and fresh mash.
Water should always be in drinkers. Severe thirst negatively affects the health of rabbits Poltava silver and this is important to consider! And in the winter, so that the animals do not get sick because of the cold water in the troughs, it must be pre-set at room temperature.
In order to get productive offspring, the krols of Poltava silver are reduced among themselves several times a year. It is desirable that the male and female had different shades of fur. Farmers note that if rabbits look the same, their offspring are either less productive or have no parental qualities at all.
At one time, the female gives about 8 rabbitsInteresting! In the litter, females can have both light and dark rabbits, and only by 3 months after the first molt, their color becomes like that of their parents.
The first offspring of the female can endure as early as 4 months, but it is better to wait up to 5-6 months. At one time, the female gives about 8 rabbits. Females have a strong maternal instinct, the offspring is well cared for. Initially, rabbits are not like their parents, but after the first molt they acquire a similar fur coat. During the first shedding, rabbits can throw off the fur themselves, but often the breeders simply comb them out - this simplifies the process.
Reviews on the breed of rabbits Poltava silver
Breeders love Poltava silver for their high productivity and unpretentiousness.
- Maxim Rybitsky: "I have been breeding this breed for more than 3 years. Rabbits are very smart, obedient, and they are quiet. Fertility is high. Less than 9 rabbits are not given by the female. They don’t pick them in food, they eat everything, but they need to be fed in time. It is also important so that water is always in the water bowl, especially during heat waves. "
- Yevgeny Korotky: "Rabbits Poltava silver is very similar to the French Silver rabbits, but smaller. Care is not a problem, they rarely get sick, only you need to constantly care for the skin, otherwise it deteriorates quickly. This is especially true for animals that walk on the street or are kept in the rabbitry is free, not in cages. I take care of my hair simply - combing, bathing as it gets dirty, vitamin supplements in food. "
- Alexandra Kuzmenko: “A year ago, Poltava silver began to breed rabbits. In terms of breeding, this is a profitable breed that pays for the content. The meat is incredibly tender, juicy and almost free of fat! We sell both meat and skins. In general, a good profit is obtained, but of course it takes a lot of time to take care, and you have to pay a lot of attention to fur and feeding. "