The rapid growth of young stock on the farm allows for increased productivity and greater profits. But feeding the young with mother's milk is not always beneficial and it is not even always possible. The substitute of whole milk allows not only to save the product obtained from cattle, but also to feed the young, if their mother for some reason does not have the opportunity to feed the offspring.
What is whole milk replacer
Whole milk replacer (milk replacer) is a special blend that is used to feed the young stock instead of the natural product. It ensures the normal development of the young, weight gain, development of the immune system and a reduction in mortality. Even the best substitute of whole milk is financially more profitable than a natural product, but in terms of composition and quality it is almost as good as it is. Therefore, its use is very beneficial.Interestingly! When feeding young stock with whole milk replacer, animals rarely experience digestive disorders.
In the production of milk replacer takes into account many nuances. It is extremely important that the final product be as close as possible to the natural, mother's milk, then it will bring exclusively benefit to the young offspring.
The composition of the whole milk replacer
The composition of the milk replacer may include:
- dry return, skimmed milk (up to 80%);
- whey (up to 7%) or soy flour (up to 15%);
- animal and vegetable fats (18-22%);
- premixes (0.5%).
Also in the composition are present:
- grain dert;
- sugar, glucose;
- fish or meat concentrate;
The more in the composition of dairy components, the higher the class of the mixture and, accordingly, its price.
Variety of Whole Milk SubstituteRead also these articles.
- Grape Variety Sensation
- How to sow carrots
- Business on growing greens
- Bougainvillea - varieties, care, breeding
Three types of whole milk replacer are available.
- Dry food - crumbly powdered milk, looks a little like flour or semolina. Such feed can be stored for very long. To obtain a working composition of one part of the mixture interfere with 8 parts of water. After thorough mixing, you can use the mixture as intended.
- Concentrated milk replacer is a kind of dry mix. This feed has a more concentrated composition and therefore less liquid is taken for dilution.
Liquid substitute is a ready-mixed liquid mixture that you do not need to interfere with before using
- Liquid substitute is a ready-made liquid mixture that you do not need to interfere with before use. It usually costs more than dry mixes, but is convenient to use. Before feeding animals, it only needs to be warmed up to +35 degrees. The main disadvantage of this type is the short shelf life. This mixture is fed during the day after purchase.
In addition, there are mixtures with different markings on sale. It is not always clear what is what, but in fact they differ only in the characteristics of the composition.
- ZTsM-1 is a mixture of skimmed milk and buttermilk.
- ZTsM-2 - contains skimmed milk, buttermilk and whey.
- ЗЦМ-О (enriched) - dairy and vegetable component. Contains skimmed milk, soybean, wheat flour, whey.
- ZTsM-F (fermented) - a mixture of skimmed milk and whey with the fermentation of the latter by special bacteria
- ZTsM-SK (dry sour milk) - skimmed milk with fermentation of a mixture of acidophilic bacteria.
Milk replacer for agricultural animals
A substitute of whole milk can be used to feed various types of livestock.
- For calves, a milk replacer is considered beneficial and practical to use. The youngsters quickly switch to a similar food, it eats well. Mixture for calves is sold, usually in bags of 10 and 15 kg. Usually, calves are fed just a dry or concentrated substitute. Both species dissolve in water without problems. In this feed there should be a lot of herbal supplements, because it is vital for calves during feeding.
For calves, a milk replacer is considered beneficial and practical to use.
- For the piglets, the milk replacer is used during the transition to solid feed. According to research, if at this time there is a milk replacer in the diet, it will be much easier for animals to adapt to a new diet. For piglets, 15% of the substitute is added to the feed until they reach a mass of 25 kg.
- For birds, milk replacer is useful as an additive to feed. It increases productivity, improves the quality of meat and eggs obtained from poultry, reduces the incidence. 5-10% of the substitute, of the total mass of food, is added to the feed and homemade mixers. Such an additive is suitable for feeding turkeys, ducks, geese and broiler chickens.
- For kiddies milk replacer is also very useful. This is a high-quality source of proteins, which is recommended for meat and dairy animals.
Advantages and disadvantages of the productWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Caramel raspberry variety
- The best pink grapes with a description and photo
- Growing green onions
Compared to using a natural product for feeding calves, a whole milk replacer has several advantages.
- The milk replacer is well absorbed and is introduced into the nutrition of animals immediately after the colostrum.
- The composition of the milk equivalent is always the same, while the composition of the natural product is affected by the diet, the presence of stress in the female and other factors.
- In mixtures, there are no pathogenic fungi, biological organisms that can harm animals. Thanks to this, the young are less likely to get sick, reducing the risk of death.
- On the financial side, the use of milk replacer is much more profitable than a natural product.
- The chemical composition is balanced. Animals on a milk replacer grow quickly, but they do not overeat too.
Milk replacer is well absorbed and introduced into the diet of animals immediately after colostrumInteresting! Dry milk replacer is easy to store. It does not need special conditions, as long as the place where it stands is dry.
In addition, it is convenient to use milk replacer. It is suitable for use not only on large productions, but also on small farms, in private households.
As for the drawbacks, it must be borne in mind that only high-quality milk replacer has all the above mentioned positive aspects. If you buy a low quality substitute, it can lead to a decrease in the productivity of young stock, slow growth, and immunity will be weakened.
How to breed a substitute of whole milk
Mixed milk replacer right before feeding the animals. You can not cook a mixture for future use, because it quickly deteriorates. When using a dry mixture diluted with water or serum. The exact proportions of the dilution are always indicated on the packaging of the milk replacer. But an average of 120 g of dry product is taken liter of liquid. If there is more water, the milk replacer will be poorly absorbed, and if it is less, the feed will start to get stuck in the rumen and provoke rotting.
Mixed milk replacer right before feeding the animals
General recommendations on how to dilute milk replacer are presented below.
- About 10 minutes after dilution of the milk mixture, it begins to lose useful properties, so it must be diluted immediately before feeding.
- Preparing the solution only in washed dishes, disinfected with boiling water.
- The mixture is well mixed so that it does not come across lumps.
- Dry powder is poured with water or whey with a temperature of + 50 ... +60 ° С, and then cooled to + 37 ... +38 ° С.
The diluted substitute is different in appearance from natural milk. Its color is not white, but more creamy, but due to the fact that it contains plant components. The dosage of the milk replacer depends on for what living creatures the composition is interfering and how old it is. So the rates may vary.
Recommendations for the use of milk replacer
Before watering the young stock milk replacer, you need to carefully study the instructions.
Inattentive study of the composition and instructions of the whole milk replacer leads to the fact that the mixture can harm the young. So you need to remember the basic rules.
- When choosing a mixture on the market or in a store, you need to check its composition. There should be a lot of dairy components, and not vegetable or vitamin.
- Acquire milk replacer is recommended from trusted manufacturers. It is necessary to take into account the purpose of milk replacer. There are species for different animals and certain ages.
- Not only the dosage of liquid and dry milk should be considered when mixing the product, but also the temperature of the liquid.
- After watering the living creatures of the milk replacer, unhindered access to clean water is ensured, because the feed can provoke thirst.
- Feed out the animal milk replacer by means of a simple container with a nipple. Before use, they must be disinfected and, after feeding, thoroughly washed.
- Feeding of milk replacer is carried out exclusively on schedule.
The substitute of whole milk is convenient for feeding agricultural animals. This analogue of a natural product is useful, financially beneficial, and animals quickly get used to it. It is used for various animal species, but in order for the mixture to be of exceptional benefit and not harm, it is necessary to properly breed it, so that before preparing the mixture and feeding the young, it is necessary to carefully study the instructions.