The Decembrist flower, also referred to as Schlumberger, Zigokaktus, or Christmas Cactus, is the most popular home plant. It is not difficult to care for him, and if everything is done correctly, on the eve of Christmas the Decembrist will begin to bloom. But it also happens that the plant does not give flowers. Why does the Decembrist not bloom and what to do in this case Answers to these questions can be found in this article.
When the Decembrist blooms
In comfortable conditions for the plant, the zigocactus can produce the first flowers in the last week of November and ends up giving buds only in January. In some cases, the plant may then bloom again, but this does not happen often. To the Decembrist regularly blossomed on time, it is necessary to provide him with optimal conditions.
Photo flower Dekabrista
- The pot for Decembrist should be low, but wide.
- The Decembrist needs a permanent place to grow; one cannot often transfer it from place to place.
- Watering is done in such a way that the potted earth is wet, but not dry!
- The plant is protected from too low or vice versa, high temperatures. The ideal temperature for flowering is + 18 ... +25 degrees Celsius.
- In the summer, it is important to provide the culture with complete care (feeding, protection from drafts, sun, fresh air).
- Transplantation is carried out in a timely manner, about once a year, because over time the land in the pot is depleted.
- The flower should not get direct sunlight, otherwise burns will occur.
- In the pot must have drainage.
Why does not the Decembrist bloom at home?Read also these articles.
- Garlic Rokambol
- Rabbits of breed White Giant
- Description and characteristics of the Kholmogory breed geese
- Recipes adjika of plums
If for many years the Decembrist regularly blossomed on time, and then just stopped, you need to quickly find out what the reason. If you let the matter take its course, the culture can stop giving flowers at all. So, why does not the Decembrist flower bloom at home?
Photo of basal decaest decay
- Bad pot.
- Lack of nitrogen, potassium or phosphorus.
- Too much or too little moisture.
- Non-observance of the period of rest and recovery, as a result of which the plant simply does not have time to rest normally and therefore does not give flowers.
- Excess or lack of lighting.
- Diseases, pests.
- Dry air
Influence of the seasons
In order for the plant to give buds on time, it is important to provide him with the right care throughout the year, and not just during the flowering period. In this case, the culture will be able to accumulate strength during the rest and give beautiful buds during Christmas.
The activity of the plant and its flowering always occur at the end of autumn and winter. At this time, the plant needs regular spraying - it needs high humidity and heat. The ground should always be wet or dry. At the same time, the pot is never moved at this time, they do not contribute any additional feeding.
Watering should be done on time, as soon as the earth begins to dry.
Around February, the zygocactus drops the last flowers and stops giving buds. If the dried inflorescences themselves do not fall off, they must be removed independently. From now until April, it is worth moving the flower to a cooler place so that it regains its strength. Watering is carried out no more than once a week!Important! A young Decembrist is transplanted once a year, and an adult culture can be transplanted once every 5 years.
April is the first dressing of the flower. It is made once, at about the beginning of the month. It is best to take minerals, such as the drug "Agricola aqua." Per liter of water take 2.5 ml of fertilizer and used for watering. The Decembrist is placed in partial shade and it is continued to be sprayed from time to time with separated water at room temperature. Around May, transplantation and re-feeding is done (if the new soil is not fertilized).
In June, the Decembrist is rearranged to where there is a lot of fresh air. You can just often ventilate the room where it is located or take it out to the balcony, street. At the same time, the culture should not stand in the sun, it should be protected from rain, draft and direct sunlight. Watering is carried out only when necessary when the earth dries. Top-dressing is done 2 times a month with the same fertilizer, but only the rate is increased 2 times (5 ml / 1 l of water). Such conditions of care must be observed until September.
At the beginning of autumn the Decembrist is transferred back to the room, to the former place where he blossomed. Until November, the temperature is maintained within +14 degrees, feeding is stopped, watering is reduced - 1 time in 2 weeks.
In November, flowering begins again, and the temperature rises to + 18 ... +25 degrees
In November, flowering begins again, and the temperature rises to + 18 ... +25 degrees. Watering is resumed, spraying is carried out.
What to do to the Decembrist bloomedWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Breed of chickens Orpington
- Diseases and control of apple trees
- The best varieties of tomatoes for open ground
- Strawberry Queen Elizabeth
If flowering is delayed or the plant stubbornly does not want to give buds, you can use clever tricks to provoke the appearance of flowers. If everything is done on time, you will not have to wonder why the Decembrist does not bloom.
- If a flower did not give buds for a long time, it should be transplanted (only this should be done not in November, but in May). In the spring and summer, make feeding (mainly potassium and phosphorus). This will revive the plant, give him the power to bloom. For feeding, you can take both minerals and ash solution (2 tbsp. L / 1 l of water), sugar solution (2 tbsp. L / 1 l of water).
- When in a room with a flower if it is cool, the temperature will gradually increase to + 16 ... +25 degrees Celsius.
- Spraying Decembrist from disease, pests often stimulate its growth and the appearance of buds.
If the flower did not give buds for a long time, it needs to be transplanted.
- In order for the Decembrist to bloom in time, from about October they begin to dim it. For 12 hours a day, the culture is covered with a box or the curtains are tightly closed so that even artificial light does not fall on it.
Mistakes in growing Decembrist
If you follow the rules of plant care, there are no problems with growing and the Decembrist will bloom in time.
- Watering is done on time, as soon as the earth begins to dry out. Water plentifully, but so that in a pot the puddle was not formed. The Decembrist, though related to cacti, does not tolerate drought. It can survive with water shortages, but it does not bloom for a year. So you need to take this into account! At the same time, due to heavy watering, it will simply start to lose foliage.
- Many growers believe that the Decembrist grows best in a large, deep pot, but this is not true. It has a small surface type root system. A deep pot can only hurt. For this plant choose a low capacity, but wide.
Intense light The Decembrist needs no more than 4 hours a day - better at sunrise or sunset
- If during flowering the plant gives too many flowers (more than 4 pieces on one branch), all extra need to be removed, otherwise the Decembrist will not have enough strength to bloom, and he will drop the petals.
- Depending on the season, a certain temperature is set. Normal temperature for flowering is +25 degrees maximum, but if it rises or falls below +15 degrees, the plant will not bloom properly.
- The Decembrist does not need much light. Intense light he needs no more than 4 hours a day - better at sunrise or sunset. But then the leaves should get a minimum of light.
- Sharp changes in temperature, humidity, and the appearance of drafts provoke the release of buds.
After abundant flowering, the plant needs to be restored, a long period of rest. From February to September they provide meticulous care. In this case, the next year, you can count on re-flowering Decembrist.