Ficus - a favorite home plant. It looks very beautiful, fits into any interior and unpretentious in the care. And yet, during the cultivation of a crop, almost all flower growers sooner or later encounter foliage fall. There are many reasons for this phenomenon, but only by defining the problem in time can the plant be helped. Why leaves fall from ficus and what to do to prevent this from happening can be found in this article.
Why ficus benjamina sheds leaves
In the care of a ficus simple plant. He needs a minimum of conditions for growth, normal development. But the neglect of certain rules leads to the fall of the foliage. To understand what to do when falling leaves, you must first understand why this happens.
Neglect of care rules leads to falling foliage.
- The temperature in the room. Ficus is a tropical plant. Drafts, low temperatures are fatal for him. Best of all, the plant feels at + 20 ... + 23 ° C. At the same time, high temperatures can harm even more. If the mark on the thermometer rises above +28 ° C, the leaves will wilt and become faded, and then fall off.
- Humidity should be moderate or high. In winter, when the heating is turned on and in summer, during heat, the humidity of the air decreases and the ficus reacts instantly, dropping the leaves. In order to prevent this, spraying with clean water, medium temperature, is periodically conducted. In addition, you can wipe the ficus leaves with a damp cloth to clean them from dust and dirt. This is especially true of the rubber-bearing species, because the large leaves of this plant quickly become covered with dust.
The root system of ficus is extremely sensitive to cold
- The ficus Robusta reacts badly to illumination, but other species may not like it. For ficus dangerous as direct sunlight, and lack of light. If the ficus is dark, the leaf plates noticeably become shallow and fall off; if there is a lot of light, burns will appear and the plant will gradually shed the affected foliage. So that the lighting was in moderation, the pot is placed at a distance of 1-1.5 m from the window or a little further. Light should be diffused, not direct.
- Ficus sensitive to watering. It is very important to equip the drainage in a pot to drain excess moisture. If there is a lot of water in the pot, it will stagnate. As a result of this - the roots begin to rot, and the flower will lose all foliage, and then die. Watering is recommended only when the earth dries in a pot. It’s easy to check - you need to stick a thin wooden stick into the ground; if it isn’t wet, you can add water.
- Frequent spraying from pests and diseases provokes a weakening of the culture, and then it sheds even green leaves. It is the rubber-ficus that suffers most from this. So preventive spraying is done rarely, no more than once a year, and treatment from existing diseases is carried out strictly according to the instructions!
- If the ficus has not been fed for a long time, it will start dropping foliage simply because it will not have the strength to grow. So at the first signs it is worth remembering when the culture was fed the last time and, if necessary, to make high-quality mineral fertilizer according to the instructions.
Depleted soil can also cause leaves to drop.
- If you move the pot to another place or make a transplant, the ficus may begin to drop the leaves. The reason is that this kind of culture does not tolerate changes. To reduce the risks, transplantation should be carried out only in early March, when the plant is still in a resting phase. If the ficus is already large, you can simply replace the top layer of soil with it, this will simplify the task. After transplantation, the plant is left in complete rest for a month, and then fertilizing is introduced so that the ficus can gain strength.
It is also necessary to take into account the size of the pot for the plant. If Benjamin's ficus loves small containers, which hamper the development of the root system, the rubber-bearing species, on the contrary, prefers a free, wide pot. If we ignore these rules, the yellowed and even green leaves of the culture will gradually fall off.
Diseases and pestsRead also these articles.
- Rabbits of breed White Giant
- The better to process the potatoes before planting
- The best varieties of gooseberry
- Potato cultivar Impala
Why do yellow leaves fall and ficus? The presence of diseases, dangerous insects on the plant - a common cause of such symptoms. And diseases and insects can be disastrous for the plant, because they deplete the culture. But, blessing, they can be recognized and responded in time.
Photo root ficus rot
The first thing you need to inspect the plant for the presence of pests. Usually, the lower leaves show signs of insects, if they live on the plant at all. The ficus is examined from all sides and the lower part of the plate is also, as well as the upper layer of the earth. Most often, ficus are threatened by a spider mite (it is noticeable on the web), a shield (attached to the twigs and resembles rounded growths). Also, the culture is not indifferent to aphid - it lives on the lower side of the leaf, thin branches, from where it is easiest to suck the juice.
To rid the ficus of pests, the branches and leaves are washed with soapy water, then washed with clean water and sprayed with special insecticides (Aktara, Fitoverm, Vermitek, Aktellik). In case of damage by the shield, pests are collected manually before these procedures.
If the culture struck the disease, the leaves will not only fall off, but also change color, become covered with spots, stripes. Ficcuses are subject to such diseases as powdery mildew, rust, chill, gray, root rot, soot. Usually, the disease occurs when the tree is watered abundantly or infected land is used for planting (transplanting). At the first signs of illness, the ficus is immediately treated with fungicides ("Alirin", "Oxy", "Agat", "Albit") and regulate the humidity, the rate of irrigation.
Photo shchitovki on the leaves of ficus
Why do ficus leaves fall in winter
What to do if Benjamin's ficus leaves fall in winter? Falling leaves do not always indicate illness, insects, or improper care. About once a year, in the last days of autumn or winter, the ficus sheds leaves for natural reasons. When the cold comes, the plant begins to fall into a resting phase. The leaves turn yellow, and then fall, and then young, green leaves appear almost immediately.Interestingly! In the ficus Benjamin in winter, about 10-20% of foliage is lost.
It is important to take into account the age of ficus. Young is a plant up to 3 years. Then the culture begins the process of renewal. The leaves at the same time fall off and they are replaced by new ones. Depending on the type of ficus, the update takes place in different ways. Some ficuses first lose the lower leaves, then the upper, others - vice versa. There are also such varieties that in winter all the foliage is immediately dumped, at the same time you can see that the young leaves almost immediately grow to replace the old ones.
With proper care, the ficus will grow a lush tree
What to do so that the leaves do not fallWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Variety of tomato Petrusha gardener
- The best varieties of sweet pepper
- Ayrshire cows
- Duck breed temp
Simple preventive measures will prevent problems with the fall of the foliage.
- After the acquisition, the plant is desirable to establish in one place and not move. Even in summer it is not necessary to take the ficus to the balcony, because drafts can be disastrous.
- The room temperature and humidity should be maintained at a comfortable level for the plant.
- Watering is carried out in moderation when it is necessary for the soil to dry out. But to delay the watering is not recommended. If the earth began to move away from the walls of the pot, it means that you need to urgently water the ficus, because there is practically no water left in the tank and the roots will soon begin to dry.
- Once every 3 years, even a large plant needs to be replanted, changing the ground. If a new pot is taken, a good drainage system is made. To make it easier for the culture to transfer such stress, the procedure is carried out in early spring. And for large plants, you can simply change the top layer of the earth, this will be enough.
- Treatments for ailments and dangerous insects will save ficus. If once a year you do spraying with insecticides, fungicides just for prevention, the plant will grow in complete safety.
The ficus is a beautiful, ornamental plant, capable of sharply reacting to any changes by falling foliage. But with proper care, it will grow in a lush tree, delighting with rich green foliage, cleaning the air from harmful impurities and destroying negative energy.