The honey extractor is the device used at an apiary. In small farms, where honey is not received very much, beekeepers can do without honey extractor, but if the apiary is large, honey is harvested a year a lot, then without such a device the work will be complicated. From this article, you can learn what a honey extractor is, familiarize yourself with its varieties and how to make such a mechanism with your own hands.
What is Medogonka
Honey extractor is an apparatus used to extract honey from honeycombs. The device is a centrifuge consisting of a stationary tank, inside which the rotor with cassettes rotates. Frames with honeycombs are inserted in these cassettes.Interesting! During the rotation of the cassettes to extract honey, the honeycombs remain intact and can be reused!
To get honey in this machine, you must first take the sealed honeycomb honey and print them with a special knife, fork. Then honeycomb honey put in cassette honey extractor and begin to rotate. Under the action of centrifugal force, honey flows out of the honeycomb and flows down the walls of the honey extractor down the tank. At the bottom of the tank there is a hole for draining honey. If you open it, the honey will begin to flow out and it can be poured into cans or bottles.
Honey extractor is an apparatus used to extract honey from honeycombs.
Types of honey extractors on the location of the cassettesRead also these articles.
- Raspberry care in summer
- Top dressing of strawberry boric acid
- How to plant carrots with seeds
- Chickens Ayam Tsemani
According to the type of arrangement of cassettes, honey extractors are of two types.
- Radial honey extractor is an apparatus in which the cassettes are installed along the radius of the drum. For use, the frames are inserted into cassettes. It is desirable to completely fill the drum, under the top. After that, the tank is closed and the process of unwinding begins. The rotation lasts up to 15 minutes, after which the tank is opened and a clean frame with honeycombs is taken out.
- In the chordial honey extractor, the cassettes are arranged along the chords of the circumference of the honey extractor, so that much less frames fit into the drum. Hardial honey extractor may be reverse, non-reverse, reverse. In the case of a reversing mechanism, the cassettes are rotated by hand, in the case of a non-reversible mechanism, the frames must be constantly removed and put upside down. In the reversing machine, the frames are rotated automatically.
Differences in the drive motor
Medogonka differ by type of drive.
- The manual honey extractor is driven by a special handle that rotates the drum. Such a device is cheaper than electric, but it requires physical effort. In addition, it is difficult to control the rotation speed, pumping time, and therefore it is possible to damage the cells.
- Electric or motor honey extractor powered by electricity. It is equipped with an electric motor, but it can be powered both from a battery and from a solar battery, in case it is installed where electricity is not supplied. Such a device works quickly, controls the number, speed and therefore the cells are not damaged. Of the shortcomings noted the high cost of purchases and dependence on energy.
Photos of granovsky's honey extractor
Number of framesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- California quail
- Breed Barbezie
- Marble pear variety
- The best varieties of potatoes with a description and photo
Honey extractors come in different sizes. Depending on how many frames fit into the device, it may be small or overall.
- Devices of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th frame, and also 5 and 6 frame are that option which is suitable for a small apiary. The device has a small size, mobile, convenient to maintain, mainly chordial type.
- Devices with 8-16 frames are suitable for large apiaries where you have to collect honey more often and in large volumes. They can be of different types, size, type of service.
- There are also professional honey extractors in which you can install from 20 frames with honeycombs and more. These are used only in large-scale production of honey. They are large, usually stationary and cost a lot, but the quality of work at a height.
During the selection of the honey extractor, it is important to decide in advance on its type, method of work, as well as how many frames at a time it will be necessary to fit into it. After that, pick up a quality machine is no longer difficult.
Photo of medogonka Medunitsa
Famous models of honey extractors
Honey separators produce a variety of species. But there are only three of the most popular brands, which buyers most often prefer.
This device can work in manual mode or on electricity and has special cassettes designed for the framework of the Dadan hive. The body and parts are made of stainless steel. The cassettes are placed on the rotor in such a way that they are easily turned under the action of a spring. The rotor rotates with bearings.
Granovskogo honey extractor is available in several forms, depending on the number of frames. There are 2-frame devices, 3-frame for small apiaries and large for 8-10 frames. In terms of size, they are small, they do not weigh much, they work quickly and efficiently pump out honey.
Medunits is one of the most famous types of honey eaters. Its devices are characterized by high quality, reasonable price. The model range is considerable, there is chordial, radial. Models differ in the number of enclosed frames. For example, the model "Medunitsa 4e-220" 4-frame (frame type Dadan), "Medunitsa-8 Kombi Auto" - 8-frame. There is a model and 24 frames.
Photo of the Lyson honey extractor
This is a Polish machine for pumping honey. Value for money is optimal. Medogonka Lyson differs simplicity of service, convenience of work. Available in several models, which, above all, differ in the number of enclosing frames.
Most parts are made of stainless steel. The device can work from electricity or in manual mode, as convenient for the beekeeper.
How to make a honey extractor with your own hands
Honey extractor can be bought, but you can do it yourself. If you have all the necessary materials, the final unit will appreciate the reliability and quality.
Honey extractor consists of several basic parts.
- The tank in which the rotor and cassettes are located.
- The rotor is a mechanism that rotates the cassettes with frames.
- Cassettes - where frames with cells are inserted.
- Drive - the handle to rotate the rotor.
- Crane to exit honey.
In any type of honey extractor has all these components. As for the size, it all depends on personal needs. If a honey extractor is made for 2 frames, then it will be small, if for 8-10 or more frames, then this is already an overall design, here you need a huge tank and a rotor.
Drawing for the manufacture of honey extractor do it yourself
The cheapest version of the honey extractor is made of plastic or metal tank. In the latter case, the stainless tank is taken, because it is simple, painted, it will rust with time, and the paint will peel off. In the center of the barrel is fixed rotational element - the rotor. The easiest way is to buy it separately, because how to do it yourself for quite a long time, but for the craftsmen below there is a drawing for 2 frames, according to this sample you can make a rotor for the required number of frames.
Across the tank, a strap is attached on top to hold the rotating rotor. It is attached to opposite sides of the tank, and the upper part of the rotor is passed through it. From above install the drive. It must be attached to the rotor, otherwise the mechanism will not rotate. As a drive, you can take, for example, a bicycle pedal device with an attached handle or something similar.It is important! Most beekeepers make high-quality honey extractors from famous models, which they used to use before. Only by creating a device on their own, they improve it and make it from those materials that seem to them the most reliable.
Now cassettes are being made. For the framework of the cassette taken stainless steel mesh and metal rods. Wires scald mesh to not bend. Now 2 mesh blanks are fastened together. To do this, use special metal staples and rivets to them. Staples are attached as in the picture below, so that there is enough space between the mesh for the frame with the honeycomb. The staple needs one frame of 6 pieces - 2 pieces on 3 sides, and the upper part remains open.
Cassettes for medogonka do it yourself
The size of the grids, the distance between them depends on what framework is used in the apiary. So measure the frame first and then make the cassette. They should be 2-4 cm longer and 0.5-1 cm wider than the frame in order to be easy to put and reach. After making the cassettes, you need to put them in the rotor and twist the mechanism to test.
At the bottom of the tank is drilled a small hole for the drain valve. The crane is purchased at any hardware store, the diameter is 60 mm on average, but you can take any other. After the hole is made, a tap is installed in it.
So that the honey extractor does not stagger during operation, you can attach legs to the bottom of the tank or just put it on thick bars and fix it. That's all, honey extractor is ready and you can try it. If everything is done correctly, it should turn out approximately as in the picture below.
Reviews of honey extractor
Different types of honey extractors are used in apiaries to facilitate work. Opinions of beekeepers about popular brands can be read below.
- Maxim Surko: "Granovsky's honey extractor was purchased for a small apiary. We didn’t have many hives, so we took a 4-frame model. I’ll say right away that there are better options in comparison, but for us as beginner beekeepers it is the best option importantly, inexpensive. Like the fact that honey extractor is easy to maintain. It is easy to use and clean, it is not very heavy and you can carry it if necessary. "
- Valentina Balabanova: “A couple of years ago they bought Lyson honey extractor. Our apiary is not small, there is enough work, so we need quality honey extractor. Accompanying beekeepers recommended it. the option is much more expensive than Granovsky, so I’d not recommend it for beginner beekeepers, it is more suitable for regular work with a large number of frames. "
- Artem Pokrovets: “I’ve been working at the apiary not for the first year and used Granovsky honey extractor. When she outlived her, she bought a new one, but of a different type. it is not small, so I had to find a stationary place, and the tapes are harsh, but you can get a taste for it.