Planting seedlings allows you to save time on the development of plants and, accordingly, to obtain an earlier harvest. But in order for future crops to be tall, fruitful, the seedlings must be strong and healthy. About when to plant tomatoes for seedlings in 2019 according to the lunar calendar in different regions, and how to grow it will be discussed later in the article.
When to sow tomatoes for seedlings?
The time when planting tomatoes on seedlings is very important, because the whole future harvest may depend on it. So, if the sowing is done too early, the tomatoes will stretch out until the transplant to a permanent place and are likely to die. In the case of late sowing, the plants will not have time to develop before transplantation, which can lead to the development of diseases, weakness of the bush, and low yield.
Gardeners usually determine the timing of sowing seeds for seedlings on the lunar calendar, but in addition, you need to focus on the ripening period of the tomato.
- Super early tomatoes are always grown for sale or fresh consumption. They grow very fast. Therefore, planting them very early is meaningless. Usually, planting time falls on the last days of April or even the beginning of May.
- Early varieties sown from late March.
- Mid-season species should be sown from about the last days of February until mid-March.
- Late varieties need the earliest planting on seedlings - from February.
When to sow tomatoes for seedlings on the lunar calendar in 2019?Read also these articles.
- Breed of chickens Hisex Brown
- Autoclave Bulat
- What to feed the chickens
- Chicken soup
This is one of the main disputes with summer residents, this is a question - when to sow tomatoes for seedlings on the lunar calendar? Some gardeners begin to sow seeds for seedlings already in late February - early March. Others are waiting for the end of March. And how is it right?
It all depends on where the tomato seedlings will grow after planting. If in the greenhouse - the seeds need to be sown in mid-March. If in the open ground - by the end of March or even the beginning of April 2019. Orientation can be on the time of disembarkation: by the time the planting of seedlings in open ground, it should be 50 - 60 days.
Favorable days for sowing seeds of tomatoes in seedlings according to the lunar calendar in 2019:
February: 1, 6, 8, 12, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28
March: 1, 8, 9, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
April: 11, 12, 17, 18, 20, 21, 27, 28, 29
Unfavorable days for sowing seeds of tomatoes in seedlings according to the lunar calendar in 2019:
February: 5, 7, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 27
March: 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 16, 21, 22, 31
April: 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 13, 15, 16, 19, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
When to plant tomatoes for seedlings in the suburbs?
Depending on the area in which the gardener's plot is located, the time periods when planting tomatoes for seedlings vary. The reason is that each region has its own climatic features.Interesting! Folk omen says that when planting tomato seedlings need to focus on poplar fluff. As soon as he flew, you can safely plant sprouts in a permanent place.
In the suburbs, seeds begin to sow from about the beginning to the end of March. This is the optimal period so that by the time of transplanting to a permanent place, the shoots will grow, but not stretch. As a rule, transplanting tomatoes in the garden or in the greenhouse in this region is carried out not earlier than the end of May. The reason is in late frost and high humidity.
Tomato seedling in the Leningrad regionWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Rabbit Disease
- Przewalski's horse
- Milking machine for cows
- How to plant radishes in the greenhouse and open ground
In the Leningrad region is very changeable climate, therefore, refers to the planting of seedlings and, accordingly, the sowing of seeds for seedlings, you need with all responsibility. The seedling must ripen for about 60 days to fully develop. If you are guided by this, then the sowing of seeds should fall around the middle or the end of March in order to plant the tomatoes in a permanent place in the middle of May.
Gardeners note that since the middle of May in the Leningrad region is already quite warm, late frosts are already passing, so by this time it is possible to coincide with planting seedlings in a greenhouse or open ground.
When to plant tomatoes for seedlings in the Urals and Siberia?
If we talk about Siberia and the Urals, then in these regions you need to be very careful when choosing the terms for sowing seedlings. Early varieties in this case must be sown from the end of February 2019. Mid-season tomatoes can be sown from the beginning of March. As for the later ones, in these cold regions it is not recommended to grow them in principle. But if you really want to grow a late variety, then the seedlings need to be done from the beginning of February.Important! Because of the threat of return frost, planting sprouts in open ground or an unheated greenhouse in Siberia and the Urals ahead of time is impractical. This can cause the freezing of all shoots.
When to plant tomatoes for seedlings for greenhouses?
Tomatoes for greenhouses
Sowing time depends on where the future tomatoes will be grown. So, in a greenhouse, more favorable conditions, so you can plant there is not very developed and even weak shoots. In greenhouse conditions, they quickly get stronger.Important! For crops that will be grown in greenhouses, it is worth taking greenhouse soil. Then the seedlings will be easier to adapt to new conditions after the final transplant.
When planting tomatoes for seedlings depends on the greenhouse in which the plant will be grown.
- From the first day of sowing the seeds and before transferring them to an unheated greenhouse, 50-60 days should pass. This will be enough for the sprouts to grow strong and to bring out the coolness of the spring greenhouse. Earlier, on May 7, it is better not to plant tomatoes there at all, because before that the late frosts can pass and all the seedlings will freeze out.
- Tall varieties are planted in a greenhouse without heating 55-65 days after sowing the seeds.
- If the greenhouse is heated, then crops of any period can be planted in it, moreover, in such greenhouses, seedlings are often made to save space at home.
When to plant seedlings for open ground?
Growing tomatoes in the open field involves constant stress for the plant. Therefore, crops that will be planted in the open should be more carefully selected. In time of planting tomatoes on the seedlings, you can significantly accelerate the development of the plant and get a better harvest.It is important! Planting tomato seedlings in open ground stands after the threat of recurrent frosts.
In regions with a temperate climate, 50-60 day-old seedlings are planted in open ground. This time is in the middle and end of April or the beginning of May. In the southern areas you can postpone the landing by the end of March. That is, the sowing of seeds for open ground is carried out around the end of January or early February.
How to plant tomato seeds for seedlings?
Planting tomato seeds
When planting tomatoes on seedlings, it was described above, but how exactly to do it? Adhering to the rules of sowing seeds, you can grow resistant plants. First you need to decide on the seed material and purchase it. If seeds were purchased on the market (without branded packaging), then they may be contaminated with diseases. Such seeds can be disinfected by soaking in soda solution (half a glass of water per 0.5 kg of soda) for a day or in potassium permanganate (1 g / 100 ml) for 30 minutes. From purchased means the solution of Fitosporin works well. Store seeds can not be disinfected, as they usually undergo a similar treatment at the factory, with the release.
Land can be bought in the store, take the greenhouse or from the garden. But it is advisable to pour it before use with a weak solution of potassium permanganate or boiling water. After the soil has been treated, it is placed in a warm room for 12 days, so that beneficial bacteria can develop. Planting capacity is taken any, the main thing is that it was of sufficient size, medium depth, of safe material and had drainage holes.
For planting the container is filled with earth, then it is moistened and shallow grooves are made (1 cm). In them, at a distance of 5 cm sow the seeds. After this, the furrows are covered with soil. Since the soil is wet it is no longer watered. The container is covered with glass or plastic film and put in a warm place for the seedlings to appear.
How to care for tomato seedlings?
Approximately 7 days after sowing, seedlings should appear. Seedlings transferred to a cool, bright place and begin to care for the shoots.
- Before the first pair of leaves, you need to spray all the time, not watering. But after the appearance of the leaves, spraying is stopped and watered from the watering can about once a week. When 4-5 leaves appear, watering is done every 3-4 days.
- The temperature in the room should be moderate, not below +18 degrees, but better in the range of +20.
- Draft completely excluded, but it is desirable to ventilate the room.
- Light day for seedlings should last for 16 hours. If the weather does not allow this, then you need to organize the backlight.
- Sampling into separate cups is desirable, although it is often neglected. It is held for 2-3 days after the appearance of 1 full leaf.
- Fertilizers are usually applied if sprouts grow poorly. In this case, a light solution of mineral complex fertilizers or organic matter, such as banana peel, wood ash, weak compost infusion, is suitable.
- Hardening is necessary to increase the resistance of sprouts to temperature extremes. Spend it when the street will not be less than 15 degrees. Plants are taken out to the open air (balcony, courtyard, loggia) and hold there for 2-3 hours. In the following days, the amount of time increases all the time by 15-30 minutes and so on for 2 weeks.
Planting seedlings in open ground or in the greenhouse is carried out no earlier than 50 days after sowing the seeds. Although in a heated greenhouse you can plant seedlings at any time. The main thing during transplantation is to make sure that there are no belated frosts and that the weather is relatively warm and stable outside.
Knowing the exact time of planting a tomato for seedlings and how to do it correctly, you can achieve good sprouts and, accordingly, a high-quality, abundant harvest. Therefore, gardeners are trying to make seedlings themselves, and not to buy it from their hands, because this does not always give a positive result. And the saplings grown by their own hands will meet all the criteria that a gardener needs.