Angora rabbit is an amazing furry creature. This type of rabbits differs in long, soft wool, from which the yarn is made, and then knitted products. If properly care for these creatures, they will delight with cheerfulness and soft, delicate fur coat. This article describes the species, the main breeds of the Angora rabbits and the characteristics of their content.
The history of Angora rabbits
The first mentions of rabbits with a long, fluffy coat belong to 1723. These animals appeared originally in France, where they were called "silk rabbits". Then they were transported to different countries and thus they spread almost throughout the world. This animal fell in love with people after the international exhibition in Bordeaux, where they were first introduced. Then the Angora rabbit became a brand of the cottage industry.
Photo of angora rabbit french breedImportant! Fluff, wool of the Angora rabbit can be sold. Of these, yarn is then made, which is used to make a wide variety of products.
It was the French who first considered the possibility of using the fur of these rabbits. From their wool, they began to sew luxury products. Later, Napoleon Bonaparte invested heavily in the development of wool production on the fur of the Angora rabbits. Until 1960, France was a global producer of down and wool of this breed. But today it is China that is the leader in this industry. In China, up to 90% of down of Angora rabbits from the total world volume is produced.
Description of the speciesRead also these articles.
- Hens of Brahma breed - maintenance and care
- Apricot Variety Black Prince
- Chicken Drinkers
- Red-cheeked apricot
Breed description of the Angora rabbit, perhaps, should start with the fact that this is the most fluffy species in the world. It is fluff and wool - the main distinctive quality of the Angora rabbits and the reason why they are valued. Fur in different breeds may differ in softness, number of guard hair, thickness and other indicators. Color is most commonly found white, but there are breeds with beige, blue, black and other fur colors.
Photo of German Angora rabbitInteresting! The most rare color of the Angora rabbit is chocolate.
The weight of these animals, depending on the breed may be in the range of 2.5-6 kg. The body is short, in the shape of a cylinder. Head with a flattened spout or elongated. The ears are small, can stand or hang - depending on the breed. Claws have a sharp tip, allowing them to cling to the bark of trees, the roots of shrubs. Eye color is blue or red. Approximate life expectancy - 4 years, but with proper care, life will be 7 years.
The character of all Angora rabbits is quite peaceful, but shy. If it is wrong to care for them, forget about combing, cutting or providing the wrong diet, animals can become restless. These are extremely curious creatures who love to travel around the apartment, house. Discover something new. They can climb into some cabinets, remote corners, so that all dangerous places in the house should be something to close, so that the animal was not injured during the next "race".
Breeds of the Angora rabbit
Photo Angora rabbit English breed
There are several breeds of Angora rabbits, each of which has unique distinguishing features.
- French breed can have a monophonic or two-color fur coat. The mass of fluffies reaches 4.5 kg. Wool grows evenly, throughout the body, the guard hairs are thick. Up to 500 g of wool can be cut from an individual. Fibers are suitable for light spinning. In breeding this breed is simple.
- German breed can reach 5 kg. The color of the fur of the Angora rabbit is exclusively white, but by crossing with other species, today they get rabbits and other colors. With a rabbit, cut up to 1.5 kg of wool. In the year you can shave up to 5 times. Wool is suitable for large-scale industry.
Ida Rabbit Atlas breed - a record holder for the length of wool that reaches 10 inches (25.4 cm)
- English breed - it is a decorative rabbit of small sizes, up to 3 kg. Wool grows up to 16 cm in length. It is present throughout the body of the animal, including the ears, paws and face, because of what they look like fluffy colored balls.
- Sateen Breed, she's Satin, was obtained after crossing the short-haired and French rabbits. Individual weight up to 4 kg. The wool of the Angora rabbit Satinovoy breed brilliant, gentle, whence the name went, the number of guard hairs is less than in the case of other breeds. Color from white to black. During the year you can shave up to 0.5 kg of wool.
- Giant rabbit outwardly similar to the German. This is a breed with a thick white fur, it differs except the color of the eyes (blue and red). The individual grows to 5.5 kg. About 1.3 kg of wool can be cut per year.
- Angora Dwarf Rabbit weighs up to 2.5 kg. Diluted as a decorative or for wool, meat, skins or fur. Wool length not exceeding 6 cm, soft, suitable for yarn.
Care and arrangement of the enclosureWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Description and characteristics of the incubator Cinderella
- Rodrigo potato variety
- Winter apple varieties
- Early melon varieties
Angora rabbit enclosure
It is necessary to keep the Angora rabbit in a closed cage. The size and material of which it is made, is selected individually, at will. Soft straw and sawdust are put on the bottom of the cage so that the rabbit can sit comfortably there. It also does not hurt to buy an aviary in which the rabbit can run and watch the household. Aviaries come in different sizes, like cages, there are stairs, obstacles, so that rabbits warm up during a walk.
For those who have never bred rabbits and did not contain ornamental rabbits, the Angor can be a real challenge. Caring for these animals is not the easiest, especially if you want to breed them or sell fur.
- The room where the rabbit cage is located is ventilated daily for 30 minutes or more. Angora rabbit does not like stale air. Humidity in the room must be low, otherwise pneumonia or other diseases may develop.
- The males of the Angora rabbits love to mark the territory. To avoid this, you can keep the rabbit locked up for a while. After puberty will pass, he will calm down. An alternative may be castration.
- The hairstyle is carried out once every 9-14 weeks. For this special scissors are used! If there is an opportunity, it is better to have a haircut by a specialist, yet the animal often turns over during the procedure, so if there is no practice, the procedure can be not only difficult, but also dangerous!
Angora rabbit giant breed
- Brushing is another important part of grooming, so that the animal's hair grows beautiful and healthy. It is combed once every 1-3 days with special hairbrushes and puhoderkami.
- The claws of the Angora rabbits grow very quickly, so it is important to monitor this issue and cut them off in time. For this procedure, use special nippers for animals that are sold in any pet store.
- It is very important to let the rabbits go for a walk. If there is no aviary, then you can just let them jump around the house. In the case when rabbits sit in cages all day, they may develop diseases, their appetite will worsen and muscles will atrophy with time!
- Cleaning in the cage is carried out 1-2 times a week. If desired, you can teach an eared pet to the tray (using a simple, cat tray and sand, as a filler), which will keep the animal clean.
- Angora rabbit needs timely vaccination. The first vaccination is given on the 45th day of life, the second - in 3 months. The vaccination is then repeated several times a year. Each following procedure is prescribed by a veterinarian.
Angora rabbit feeding
If you don’t feed the Angora rabbit in time, it can start to bite the wires
If the Angora rabbit does not feed in time, it can begin to bite the wires. So the feed should be given on time and at the same time quality! And what do rabbits eat in general?
In the warm season, crawns can be given greens (alfalfa, tansy, cane, sage, hogweed), but before being fed, they are put in a bit of rest. When the greens become sluggish, you can give it to the crawls. It does not hurt to add to the diet of beet tops, carrots.Important! Every day, rabbits along with food should receive the vitamins and minerals they need for normal development.
Hay is an important part of nutrition. It is given in any period of the year. In winter, to dilute the diet and to give the animals more vitamins, plant sprigs and bark are given. About them krol also grind their teeth. Vegetables, fruits - the basis of the diet. They can be given raw or cooked. It is also worth giving cereals daily (oats, rye, oilcake, mixed feed), crushed corn.
Photo of angora rabbit dwarf breed
As a useful additive in the cell should be chalk. Vitamin supplements can also be used, but this is not necessary. The water in the cage changes several times a day!
Angora rabbit differs late puberty. Only after a year of life can the female give offspring. But we must remember that if time does not bring the female to the male and for several years to keep her in isolation from the other rabbits, she will become barren!
A pregnant female is sensitive. It provides increased comfort, vitaminized diet, warmth and maximum reduction of sources of stress. Breeding Angora rabbits can be in apartment conditions, as a decorative look or on farms, industries, for wool, meat.
In one brood of the Angora rabbit there are up to 8 rabbits. By 4 months, they grow to 1.5 kg. After the young are born, the female takes care of them herself. Only in rare cases need the help of a breeder.