In order for any farm animal to fully develop, to be healthy and to have high productivity, it is necessary to provide good nutrition. Chalk fodder is of great value primarily due to the calcium that it contains. This is a valuable macro, necessary for the development of animals, birds, and for their reproduction. This article describes the benefits of chalk for various farm animals, birds, the consequences of its lack, as well as the rules of supplementation in the diet.
Chalk feed for animals
For any growing animal or bird, calcium is of paramount importance. It affects the proper development of bones, is involved in the formation of cartilage and the normal functioning of various body systems, immunity. But, in addition, for certain animals and birds, it is also important for other reasons.
Calcium is important for chickens and any poultry because it is involved in the development of egg shells.
- Calcium is important for chickens and any poultry because it is involved in the development of egg shells. If the birds do not have chalk in their diet, calcium is not enough, the eggs may begin to appear at all without a shell or with a soft shell. In addition, fodder chalk in the diet improves the quality of feathers.
- For cattle and other farm animals, calcium is important during lactation. A cow that does not receive enough of it will not produce good milk. But it is necessary not only for sale, but also for feeding the young!
- When breeding animals for meat, fodder chalk, it is important to feed them according to a strict standardization, because it has a positive effect on the taste and quality of meat!
- For sheep, goats, rabbits, calcium plays a special role in the development of coat.
In addition, calcium plays an important role in the reproductive system of birds and animals. If calcium is not enough in the diet, the female will not be able to endure healthy offspring, even with quality care. So, in the period of carrying young stock, the norms for the introduction of fodder chalk for females are observed with particular rigor!
Symptoms of calcium deficiencyRead also these articles.
- Currant Pests
- Variety Pears Just Maria
- Flowering shrubs
- The best early grapes
A cow that does not get enough chalk will not produce good milk
As mentioned above, for animals and birds it is important to get enough calcium in the form of feed chalk. If fodder chalk is not given to animals, calcium deficiency occurs in the body, and this, in turn, leads to many negative consequences.
- For normal functioning, the body "takes" calcium from bone tissue. This leads to the development of rickets, stunted growth, curvature of the spine, ribs and tubular bones.
- The bones become fragile, frequent fractures are possible, especially since it is dangerous for cattle (females during pregnancy) and other animals with high body mass.
- For chickens and other types of agricultural animals that have already reached adulthood, calcium deficiency is manifested in metabolic depletion, depletion, although the animal begins to eat more.
- Productivity drops sharply, and those products that still get from birds, animals, have very low quality.
As you can see, there are a lot of reasons for giving agricultural live fodder chalk. But we must not forget that the excess product is also harmful. If there is a lot of calcium in the body, appetite will start to lose, productivity will fall. So everything should be normal.
The composition of the feed chalk
The composition of the feed chalk
Calcium animals and birds get with fodder chalk. In fact, it is a simple natural chalk. Sometimes it contains additives, but it may just be clean. It is commercially available in solid form (piece), granules and in powder form. It is convenient for animals to give exactly powder by mixing into grains or mash, because they will not eat lumpy chalk. Birds are less picky in this and can peck on granules and even lump chalk, but for convenience it is usually crushed a little.
By itself, the fodder chalk is odorless, it is tasteless, as a rule, if it does not contain additives. It does not dissolve in water.
The composition of the feed chalk:
- calcium — about 38%;
- silicon - 5%;
- potassium - 0.5%;
- sodium - 0.3%
- phosphorus - 0.18%.
In a small amount there are also other useful substances.
Varieties of feed chalkWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Variety melon Gulyabi
- Holstein breed of cows
- The best early grapes
- Sow farrowing machine
Approximate norms of chalk in the diet of animals (grams per head per day)
Feed chalk is of two kinds.
- Raw ground - recommended for addition to feed mixtures for cattle and other animals, birds. It is represented by a mixture of small lumps.
- Dry ground fodder chalk most often goes for granulation. It can also be used as an additive in feed, for example for birds or pigs.
GOST 17498-72 subdivides feed chalk into several varieties, denoting their special marking. In order to understand what kind of chalk is commercially available, what it is intended for, whether it is suitable for feeding animals or additive to feed, you need to figure out what the letters in the name mean.
- MK - chalk feed;
- MM - ground chalk;
- PI - liming of the soil;
- ЖП - animals and birds;
- PC - the production of animal feed;
- С - separated;
- SG - separated hydrophobized;
- O - enriched;
- XO is chemically precipitated.
Norms of feed chalk in the diet
In purchased feeds, and even in high-quality feed, calcium is not enough for animals and birds. For this reason, it is necessary to introduce feed chalk in the diet of agricultural liveliness, in which calcium is contained up to 38%. Feed chalk is added to the diet for chickens, other birds, animals daily, in certain quantities.Interesting! Pond fish also needs calcium. From the daily allowance of feed, fodder chalk should be at least 1%!
|Chickens, laying hens (per 1 head)|
|Age (weeks)||1-17||17-25||25-50||Over 50|
|Feed rate, g||3||5||8||9-10|
|Daily consumption rate of chalk on the head, g|
|Quail||2.5-3 (up to 6 weeks)||6-7|
|Ducks||3-3,5 (up to 6 months)||6,5-7,5|
|Geese||3-3,5 (up to 6 months)||4,5-5|
|Turkeys||4-4.5 (up to 4 months)||6-7|
|Guinea Fowl||2.5-3 (up to 4 months)||6-7|
|Daily norms of feed chalk on the head, g|
|Cows||15-50 (up to a year)|
50-100 (up to 1.5 years)
|Horses||10-30 (up to 2 years)||40-75|
|Sheep, goats||3-7 (up to a year)||10-15|
|Pigs||10-40 (up to 6 months)||50-70|
Feed chalk for animals such as pigs, cattle, is often given along with grain or mash. It is simply added in the right quantity and interfered in the general trough. Animals will also eat chalk as they feed. For poultry, the feeding method may be different. Most often, chalk is poured into a separate trough with a shell and gravel. As required, the birds will peck at it.
Agricultural animals are fed exclusively with purified, fodder chalk. A natural analogue can contain a lot of stones, impurities, dirt, which can severely harm the health of birds and animals. Feed chalk is available in wholesale and retail. It can be purchased in stores, on the Internet, the main thing is to be able to feed it to animals and abide by the norm.