Tree hydrangea is a beautiful plant. Belongs to the family Hortensia. Originally from North America. It grows a large, spectacular shrub, whose height can reach up to 2 meters. In the world there are many varieties of this culture. This article will present the best varieties, and also describes the method of planting and caring for tree hydrangea.
Varieties of Hydrangea Trees
Varieties of tree hydrangea can vary in color, foliage saturation, height, and other indicators. Below are the varieties that are in great demand around the world.
Photo hydrangea Anabel
- Annabel - This is one of the most popular varieties of Hydrangea in floriculture. Its peculiarity is in massive, large inflorescences of white color, up to 25 cm wide. They keep on long peduncles, but since the buds themselves are quite heavy, they are able to droop to the ground. The bush grows quickly, in care is unpretentious. The maximum height is 1.5 meters, and the width of the bush grows to 3 meters, which is important to keep in mind when planting. Flowering lasts 3 summer months. If you want to plant a similar variety, but that the flowers do not droop, you can choose the hydrangea "Strong Annabel."
Photo hydrangea Pink Annabel
- "Invincibelle" or "Pink Annabel" - variation of the variety "Annabel". The flowers are pink, also large, with a diameter of 15-20 cm. The uniqueness of this species is that after the first flowering, you can prune, and then the bush will bloom again in 6 weeks! Bushes grow to 1.2-1.5 meters. The grade differs in winter hardiness and maintains frosts to -37 degrees.
- "Bella Anna" grows to 1.3 meters in height. The inflorescences are large, 25-35 cm in diameter. The flowers are bright pink, but as they grow they change the shade from dull to bright. Actinomorphic flowers. During flowering stalks tend to the ground. Leaves are ovate, light green, and yellow in autumn. The variety is not afraid of frost.
Photo hydrangea Bella Anna
- Grandiflora - Hydrangea treelike variety, grows a powerful bush. Flowering long, spectacular. Inflorescences during the flowering period can change color several times. Initially, they are pale green, then they turn a pure white color, and at the end become cream. The bush grows up to 2 meters high and up to 3 meters wide.
- "Sterilis" grows up to one and a half meters in width and up to 1.2 m in height. Winter hardiness is low. This variety is recommended to grow in warm regions. Flowers are green and white, with the development of becoming completely white. The inflorescences are not very large, located on the elastic shoots. The leaves are light green, heart-shaped, up to 15 cm long.
Planting Hydrangea Tree in the open groundRead also these articles.
- Breed pigs Karmaly
- What are the cells for quail and how to make it yourself
- Fittonia flower
- Raspberry hussar
In order for Hortensia tree to grow as it should be, it blossoms in time, it is necessary to properly plant the plant. Planting is carried out according to the same principles as in the case of other ornamental shrubs, but there are nuances that are important to follow.
Planting Hydrangea Tree in the open ground
- Planting tree hydrangea is not next to other tree crops, because such plants consume a lot of moisture and the bush can suffer from a lack of water.
- Culture grows well in partial shade, but in open sunny areas there may be burns on the buds.
- The temperature for normal development is +20 degrees in the warm season.
- The earth should be acidified, enriched with humus, minerals. In addition, the soil should be light, but compacted, with a significant part of the peat.
- In the pit for planting it is necessary to lay drainage, to drain off excess water.
The pit for planting is done at a depth of 30-40 cm. Drainage is laid at the bottom. Then he made a hill of fertile soil. A bush is placed on it so that the root collar is at ground level. It should not be covered with earth! Then the roots are straightened and covered with earth. After planting, the ground is compacted, and the bush is watered with plenty of water.
Photo hydrangea Grandiflora
Proper care of the tree Hydrangea will prolong flowering and improve the color of foliage of the bush.
- Watering is abundant. This culture reacts very badly to the lack of water, therefore it is important to follow this moment. Most water is consumed from May to September. At this time, watering is carried out 1-2 times a week.
- Top dressing is necessary once in 14 days during the spring and summer, and also the beginning of autumn. To do this, use mineral fertilizers for flowering shrubs. They can be purchased at a specialty store. Once a month, to strengthen the plant, you need to feed it with a solution of potassium permanganate. In addition, it is important to ensure that the acidity of the soil is not disturbed, in this case it is adjusted by introducing sulphate of iron.
- Flowering is long, it can last from 2 to 4 months, and sometimes even repeated, if you prune after the first flowering.
- The reproduction of tree hydrangea can be carried out by cutting, layering or dividing the bush.
Photo hydrangea Sterilis
- Hydrangea tree grows rapidly, so you need to cut it in time so that the bush does not grow much. It is pruned once a year or 2 times a year, in spring and autumn. However, young plants are not cut, because they do not tolerate the procedure. The first pruning is done from 3 years of age. First, the broken, large, damaged branches are removed, then the old and those that spoil the shape of the bush.
- The bush makes frost down to -15 degrees without problems, but it is still better to warm it for the winter. First you need to remove all the leaves that have not fallen off, then powder the base of the bush with mulch (sawdust will do). A base of the planks is made around the bush, twigs of the bush are attached to them and finally they are fixed with an insulating material.
Reviews of Hydrangea TreesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Andalusian horse
- Radish pests
- Cabbage variety Nadezhda
- Crop varieties of cucumbers
Hortensia is an amazing plant. He is known in different parts of the world. Gardeners, flower growers and landscape designers use tree hydrangea to decorate large and small areas, home gardens.
- Irina Marsh: “Hydrangea is a queen in my garden. My parents also planted 10 bushes of this amazing plant. They protect the walkway, so you can go for a walk literally walking between them. The bushes are big, round like hats, with rich green foliage, and blooms are generally an amazing sight. They are covered with large white inflorescences of incredible beauty. Despite considerable age, they bloom every year. "
- Marina Nazarova: “A few years ago I got carried away with such a plant as a hydrangea tree. I ordered several varieties of different colors on the Internet and planted it. After 4 years 5 very beautiful bushes grow in my garden. Three bushes bloom white, one blue, and the last is pink. It looks amazing when they all bloom together. They are not demanding to care. This is especially liked in this plant - the bushes grow neat by themselves! In general, the choice is satisfied! ".
- Catherine Gus: "Hortensia tree grows in a beautiful bush. I planted the Annabel variety many years ago. Now it is already a big bush. The leaves are lobed, large, very bright, the inflorescences are massive, but during flowering they do not fall to the ground, but just like in the bush, because of the density of the foliage. In the care the main thing is to water in time, if there is little water, the flowers will quickly wither and the foliage will become dull or even turn yellow, as was the case in my case. "