Nutritious and healthy corn is of different types. For feeding agricultural liveliness is used fodder corn (fodder). It is also used in the production of animal feed and for other purposes. From this article, you can learn how to distinguish feed corn from food, what kinds of fodder species exist and what are their features.
What is fodder corn
Corn hails from Central and South America. She prefers to grow in a humid, warm climate, but this is more about food varieties. Fodder or fodder corn is less demanding on weather conditions. It can endure drought, and for normal growth it needs a temperature within + 14 ... +27 degrees. Cool nights, temporary low temperatures, strong winds and even cloudy weather with frequent rainfall do not affect the development of plants. Feed corn is growing quite quickly and needs minimal care.
Photo of ripe cornmeal on the fieldInteresting! According to GOST R 53903-2010 - feed corn is divided into three classes. Corn class is determined after harvesting corn from the field, on the lines of technological drying and cleaning.
Fodder corn is used to feed farm animals. It is distinguished by nutrition, a large number of vitamins, and is happily eaten by animals and birds. In winter and summer, it is added to feed to increase its energy value. And since due to this component in the diet, animals and birds quickly gain weight, it is used for fattening. Sold in bulk and in bulk. It is much cheaper than food corn and is available for sale all year round.
Differences between feed and food cornRead also these articles.
- Growing radish in a greenhouse
- Quail Egg Incubator
- Laura grape variety
- Breed pigs Karmaly
Forage corn is different from food, but not everyone knows what to look for. But after all, on the market, very often, fodder-type cheap cabbages are presented as expensive, food grade. So you need to know how to distinguish these varieties.
- If you try to crush a grain of food corn, it will easily burst under the force and the juice will remain on your hands. It is difficult to crush a grain of fodder corn, to touch the upper shell will be harder.
- Food corn is grown in warm climates. Get a good cabbage with a lack of sunlight and heat is simply impossible. But forage varieties without problems can grow in a cool climate, in hot weather, on the contrary, they develop poorly.
- Grains of fodder corn have a dark yellow or orange color. The cob is usually bright, long. In food varieties, the color of the grain is always light beige. Grains may be slightly transparent. The cob is short, rather thick.
- Taste is another way to distinguish these types of corn. Fodder, even after long cooking, has hard grains, there is practically no juice in them. Food corn boils quickly, the grains are very juicy, sweetish and soft.
Eating fodder corn can and people. It contains no less vitamins and minerals than food, just stiff. It should be cooked for 1–3 hours so that the grains and skin are softened. But it is desirable to choose certain varieties. For eating it is better to stay on the variety "Golden Fleece", "Saratov". They contain a lot of sugar, and after a long cooking have a pleasant taste.
Fodder corn harvesting from the combine
Fodder Corn Varieties
There are a lot of varieties of fodder corn. Farmers prefer to plant corn, which can also be used for food in the period of milky ripeness. After full aging, it has large, nutritious grains and is suitable for long-term storage.
- "The Golden Fleece" - early fodder corn. It grows up to 170 cm in height. There is resistance to bad weather conditions, diseases. Heads of 22 cm, weighing 170-220 g. The grains are dark yellow, quite broad in shape. Productivity is high.
- "Pearls" - a variety of excellent taste. Plants are practically not susceptible to diseases during growth, so they are easy to grow. Ripening heads head 75 days after emergence. Culture length up to 2 meters. Cobs weighing up to 250 g, 18-20 cm. Grains are almost orange when ripe. The yield per hectare to 12.5 tons.
- "Aurika" - early corn feed type. It has a stable immunity to typical diseases of corn. Ripens in 76-80 days after germination. Practically not sick during maturation. Heads reach 20 cm, weight - 220 g on average. The yield per hectare of planting is 20 tons.
Feed corn is used to feed farm animals.
- "Viola" - an early grade of fodder corn. Cobs can be collected 70 days after the sprout. The grains are quite tasty, in milky ripeness they can have a pronounced sweetness, if they are cooked correctly. Immunity is strong. Heads grow to 16-20 cm, weighing up to 330 g. The granules have a light yellow, lemon color. Productivity from hectare to 14 tons.
- "Kuban early" - Another early variety of fodder corn. Maturation occurs at 82-89 days after the appearance of sprouts. This fodder corn grows to 1-1.5 meters. Heads of fat, up to 30 cm. Can grow in adverse conditions, and almost never gets sick.
- "Saratov sugar" corn grows up to 210 cm, although it is lower. Cob weight - 150-190 g. The kernels are dark yellow, may be orange. The variety is resistant to diseases, cooling, drought. It has a good taste. In the period of milky ripeness, cobs can be eaten.
Application of fodder cornWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Grape variety Augustine
- How to feed an apple tree
- How to feed the spring garlic
- Apple varieties for the Urals
People can also eat fodder corn, only it needs to be cooked for 1–3 hours so that the grains and skin are softened
In the first place, fodder corn is used to feed domestic animals. It can be purchased in pure form, in bags and added to the diet of animals and birds, or used in processed form - feed.
Chickens are fed up to 20% of corn from the total mass of feed. Increasing the dosage may result in lower egg production. In the diet of all other types of poultry, it can be up to 40%. If you give more corn, they will develop not so much muscle mass as fat. Pigs, cows and some other animals can also be fed with corn, but in moderation, otherwise obesity will appear, and the meat will get a watery taste.Important! In winter, animals give corn about 15% more than in summer. There are a lot of vitamins in the grains, thanks to this it will be easier for birds and animals to endure frosts.
Also, fodder corn can be used for the manufacture of flour, cereal starch, oil, molasses, glue. Often corn grain is used in the production of beer, ethanol. Viscose, linoleum, insulating film, paper are made from the stalks, leaves and corn cobs. This product is popular in medicine, cosmetology.
Fodder corn is a valuable product. It is grown in different countries. It grows quickly, has high nutritional value, has many useful qualities, so it is widely used in industry.