You can make good money on breeding cattle, but only if you know how to properly fatten the calves, because the main income comes from selling meat. It is not surprising that many breeders are looking for the most effective method of fattening, so that it is both inexpensive and efficient. How to perform fattening calves for meat at home and what additives to use at the same time, you can learn from this article.
Rules for fattening calves at home
For the cultivation of meat purchased exclusively meat breeds bulls. These include Charolais, British, Shorthorn, Kalmyk, Hereford, Kazakh white-headed breed. Fattening calves of these breeds takes place in a short time. Individuals grow large, with a developed muscular system, strong bones.
Every farmer is recommended to keep a log of fattening bulls.Interesting! Each farmer is recommended to keep a journal where weight gains, feeding methods, daily doses and so on will be indicated. This will facilitate the work, will allow you to adjust the diet for each individual.
Fattening calves for meat at home is not a serious problem. Starting from the moment of birth and up to 2 months of life, gobies otpaivayut milk. From 2 to 4 months, you can begin to enter the porridge, hay. The latter is purchased only high quality, soft. It is well absorbed, contains selected herbs. Also injected protein food - vegetables. On such a diet, the animal grows quickly and does not suffer from digestive problems.
From about 4 months, you can add dried or green grass to the main diet (10-15 kg with a gradual increase in weight). Thus, the daily weight gain is not less than 600 g. The young and eats enough and does not suffer from obesity. At the age of 6-18 months, bull-calves surrender for slaughter. If you keep them longer, the meat will not be soft, and with intensive fattening, you can take the animals even in 4-5 months.
The diet of calves for fatteningRead also these articles.
- Compote from plums
- How to plant cabbage on seedlings
- The best varieties of black tomatoes
- The better to feed the goslings from birth
Examples of diets for fattening bulls
There are many schemes for feeding calves for fattening. In fact, each farmer adjusts the scheme to fit his needs and abilities. Such schemes allow you to get a quick weight gain in the shortest possible time.Important! Any food that is fed to gobies should be of high quality, not spoiled, because in young individuals the digestive system is more gentle - this should be taken into account.
The diet of bulls is summer and winter. In the summer, gobies mostly feed on greens with the addition of concentrated feed. In winter, the diet is complicated. Since there is no green grass, you need to replace it with something else. To meet the need of animals for juicy feed, root vegetables, vitamin and mineral supplements are introduced into the diet, and they also feed hay (straw), fodder dry grass or silage. In addition, concentrated food is given in the same quantities as in summer.
Proper fattening of calves
For the most part, farmers stick to feeding the bulls three times a day with the same amount of time between them. For a day per young individual (2 months) should leave on average:
- 4 kg of hay;
- 4 kg of root vegetables;
- 2 kg of concentrates.
Hay is recommended to take a soft, high quality - it is better absorbed. Root vegetables before serving are crushed into several parts or rub, so it is easier for gobies to eat them. Concentrates are poured 3 times a day, and not once for all three feedings, otherwise they may deteriorate in the feeder or gobies will eat more of the prescribed amount.
Any new food is introduced into the diet of calves gradually.Important! Any new food is introduced into the diet gradually to check the reaction to it. In addition, the transition from the summer to the winter diet and back should also be carried out gradually, rather than abruptly.
Types of fatteningWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Rabbiwak-B vaccine for rabbits
- Growing Basil
- Cherries Valery Chkalov
- Breeding goats as a business
A good business selling beef can only be obtained when the calves are fattened at home quickly. Accelerated fattening is of different types.
- When using forage.
If you use crushed fodder, you can get a good daily weight gain. Of course, you need to acquire high quality fodder. You can take wheat, barley in the ratio of one to one or one thing. In addition to grain, calves are also fed hay, grass, and root vegetables. The table below shows the approximate feeding rates depending on the age of the bull.
|Age bull||Norms of feed (day)|
|2-3 months||up to 600 g|
|6 months||3.5 kg|
|1 year||9 kg|
|1 year and 2 months||10-14 kg|
According to this feeding scheme, feed grain is given up to slaughter. When using this method of fattening can be obtained by the year weight gain up to 500 kg. At the same time, individuals grow with a large volume of muscles and a small amount of fat, which is beneficial in terms of implementation. The main advantage of this feeding is cost effectiveness with high efficiency.
Feed feed for bulls
- When using pulp.
The use of pulp in the diet of cattle allows you to get a weight gain of up to 1 kg / day.
|Feed, in kg.||Fattening period|
|The first month||Second month||Third month|
|Cereal hay||Do not give||Do not give||2|
This feeding method is more expensive, but pays for itself. Using this method of feeding, it is important to accurately measure the amount of pulp being fed. If it is more than the norm in the diet, the meat of the bulls will become watery.Important! When fattening calves, it is important to find a middle ground, so that individuals eat moderately, but do not starve.
- When using silo.
Weight gain with this feeding is 950-1000 g / day.
|Feed, in kg.||Fattening period|
|The first month||Second month||Third month|
|Mixed grass hay||Do not give||1,9||2,8|
|Mixture of concentrates||1,8||2,15||2,95|
This is the basis of the fattening bull diet. Just select one of the three options and apply it. However, the need for food can be adjusted to somewhere to save or improve the nutritional value of the feed, its quality or benefits.
Supplements for better growth
Feed additives have a positive effect on weight gain in bulls.
All sorts of feed additives have a positive effect on the increase in body weight of animals, so they are often used in fattening calves for meat at home. If you apply them according to the rules, the effect will be positive.
- Premixes, among which “Superpremix” is distinguished, are often used in animal husbandry. They are suitable for use both in large-scale production and on a small farm, the main thing is to use according to the instructions. The composition of the additive is a growth stimulant, flavor, vitamins, minerals. With the regular addition of premix, the fattening time is reduced by 42 days, the feed is consumed little. There is no negative impact on animals.
- Antibiotics are also fed with food to increase the weight of animals. So, when feeding animals with antibiotics for a month, body weight increases by 5%. It is best to mix feed with antibiotics and give to animals. Muscular and oral administration of these substances gives the worst result. In this case, use "Penicillin" or "Streptomycin".
Growing a bull as a business is profitableImportant! When fattening calves, it is recommended that they be neutered. Castration allows you to get more tender, fatty meat, not so tough as in animals, that this procedure was not performed.
- Prebiotics not only have a positive effect on fattening calves, but also increase the immunity of animals. They are given from 4 days after birth. Up to 3 weeks it is mixed with milk, and then fed with food. Among the well-known tools can be recommended "Prestarter". The main condition for feeding prebiotics is to have constant access to clean, fresh water.
- Biostimulants can increase daily weight gain by 15%. They are usually used from 6 months. So if an individual goes to milk in half a year, this option will not work. Of the known biostimulants, Kresacin is very popular. Biostimulants are used by adding to water or food, where it can completely dissolve. Before use, it is important to study the instructions and dosages.
- Cereal supplements are the most effective fattening of bulls. On the cereal and bean diets, they grow rapidly, their meat has a delicate texture. Young individuals very well eat cereals and legumes, so problems with the implementation of the method usually do not arise, but in terms of costs, it may not be profitable.
Sales and Costs
Cultivation of bulls as a business is beneficial, in the event that the matter is approached correctly. The fact is that before the implementation of the first products will have to spend significantly. The main costs in this case are:
- buying animals;
- veterinary care;
- purchase of feed;
- fuel, electricity, water;
- repair of equipment, calf house, fences and other things.
And this is the case if only the family works on the farm, and there are no additional employees who need to pay a salary!
Not only meat, but also horns, skin, offal, fertile individuals can be sold for a fee with females. Also, earnings are possible on the sale of manure, milk, if there are cows, and not just bulls.
To get the maximum benefit from breeding, you need to seriously think about where the products will be sold. Sales places are adjusted before the animals go to the slaughter! This is very important, because the meat should be divorced fresh, and not in a few days or weeks. So, 1-2 months before the slaughter, it is important to find places that will accept the finished product and to conclude an agreement with them.
Fattening calves for meat at home is a well-known business. Small farmers and big businessmen rise quite well in this business, receiving a stable income, so it is quite realistic. But in order for the business to be useful, you need to be able to establish contacts, not to be afraid to experiment with the diet of animals, to be able to work on the farm.