At the beginning of the 19th century, the Belgian Chatillon discovered in the forests of Flanders a new pear variety, which was named Forest Beauty. Over time, it spread throughout the world and still pleases gardeners with its beauty, ease of cultivation and tasty fruits. Pear Forest Beauty is very popular, its description, landing technique and progress are presented in this article.
Description of a grade of a pear the Forest Beauty
The Forest Beauty pear has an average size tree that can reach a height of 5 meters. The greatest growth rate is observed in the first few years, and then growth slows down. The crown is in the shape of a pyramid, the branches hang down a little. On the largest pagons, thick, the bark is dark brown, and on thin, young - grayish. Shoots grow arcuate. Leaflets dense, green. Flowering occurs in mid-April, but despite this, the flowers do not freeze, because they are not afraid of return frosts. The buds are pink, small.
Pears grow small, weighing about 160 g. They are oval-pear-shaped. The peel is rough, thin, green with a yellow tinge. After full maturation may appear blush on one side. The patches under the skin are greyish. The flesh is juicy, high in sugar, oily in consistency, cream-colored. Aroma pronounced, pleasant.
Pulp juicy, with the high content of sugar, oily on a consistence, cream color
Pear characteristicsRead also these articles.
- How to get rid of the wireworm?
- The best varieties of early cabbage
- The best varieties of broccoli with description and photo
The Forest Beauty pear variety has both advantages and disadvantages, so it is worth exploring them before buying.
- The tree begins to yield about 3-4 years from the date of planting on a permanent site.
- Pear Forest Beauty is partly self-bearing. But the maximum yield can be obtained by planting next such varieties as "Williams" or "Lemon".
- The variety is not high in calories, therefore it is suitable for dietary nutrition.
- Productivity from a young tree about 20 kg. By year 8, it rises to 45 kg.
- This is a frost-resistant plant that can tolerate short-term cooling to -35 degrees.
- Immunity is not the best. The tree can often hurt, if not carry out prevention.
- Drought and heat is not afraid.
- Transportability and marketability of fruits at a high level.
- After full ripening, the fruit may crumble.
- The taste is wonderful, but if the pears have ripened, the flesh can become tasteless, watery and the flavor changes for the worse.
Growing Pears Forest Beauty
Proper pear planting
The Forest Beauty pear variety is usually grown on loose, moist soil. In clay soil, pear always grows poorly and does not give maximum yield. However, with proper care, you can get a lot of fruit. And yet it is better to plant this crop on sandy, loamy soil. Saplings for planting are selected no older than 3 years! They must have a healthy root, bark without damage, normal twigs.
The pits for seedlings are made on average 80x80x80 cm in size, but if the tree for planting is large, then it can be made into a large hole. Soil is mixed in advance with humus, wood ash and phosphorus-potassium minerals. It is this land that the sapling needs to fill up when it is placed in a hole. After planting, the tree is watered.Important! If two or more Forest Beauties trees are planted at once on a plot, it is necessary to locate them at a distance of at least 3 meters from each other.
After planting, the tree is not touched at all, only watered if the weather is very dry. After all, the young seedling roots are still small and located in the upper part of the soil, which quickly dries out.
How to care for pearWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Variety of tomatoes Pink Elephant
- Top dressing of bees in the spring
- Description and characteristics of the incubator
- Bee keeping rules
Among the variety of varieties of pears, Forest Beauty is considered unpretentious. On the plots, it grows for many years without leaving and bears fruit very well, but then, after 5-6 years, it rapidly loses its yield. If you want to grow a fertile tree, which will give great harvests for more than 15 years, then you should pay attention to the care of the crop.
- Watering a pear is not necessary very often. Young trees in the summer will require weekly watering, but if the pear is already large, one watering per month is enough. About 40 liters of water are consumed per square meter of soil.
- Mulching allows you to nourish the root zone of the tree, does not allow weeds to develop and retains moisture. Pear can be mulch sawdust or compost. Sometimes the mulch is used separately or mixed with the soil.
- Grasses must be removed as they appear. If there is a lot of them and there is no time for cleaning, you can simply plant a clover or a tributary in the root zone, they grow thickly, leaving no space for other plants and saturate the earth with nitrogen.
- If there is no mulch or other cultivated grass in the basal circle, it is necessary to loosen the ground regularly.
Pear Forest Beauty has good immunity, but often suffers from powdery mildew or scab. In order to save the tree, it is necessary to do preventive and, if necessary, therapeutic spraying twice a year. In this case, a solution of Bordeaux liquid, copper oxychloride or urea is used. The first spraying occurs at the time of bud break, and the second, when the last buds have showered. Bred these substances according to the instructions, so it is necessary to study it in advance.
- Fertilizers are applied from the third year after planting. In the fall you can add organic substances like humus to the basal area, and in the spring or summer minerals containing the NPK complex are used.
- For the normal formation of young tree pagons, it is necessary to cut branches by about a quarter. And if the tree is already mature and the crown is already formed, it is necessary to remove only broken, dry twigs and those that are affected by diseases or pests.
Warming pears for the winter
How to prepare a tree for winter
Pear Forest Beauty is a winter-hardy species. In regions with warm and temperate climates, it is never warmed, especially if the tree is already adult. If the culture grows in the zone with frosty winters, where the temperature often starts below -35 degrees Celsius, then the insulation will not interfere.Important! Young trees, as well as damaged ones, after serious diseases, should be insulated for the winter so that it is easier for them to withstand frost.
Experts recommend this sort of pear to insulate with humus or sawdust. They are stacked in the root zone with a layer of 15-25 cm. From the top, the trunk can be wrapped with cut branches, hay, straw or any insulating material that can be purchased at a garden or hardware store.
They always warm the trees before the onset of severe frosts, so that the bark is not damaged. In winter, when enough snow has already fallen, you should throw it on the branches and near the trunk. Such a natural, snow-covered blanket is much better than any insulation and even mulch, but since there is not always a lot of snow, it is better to play it safe and grind the earth in advance.
Productivity from a young tree about 20 kg. By year 8 it rises to 45 kg
Forest Beauty pears can be collected from the end of August, but it is advisable to start doing this a week before full ripening. If the harvest is delayed even for several days, the flesh acquires a loose consistency, the sweetness disappears, the taste may become tasteless or watery. So it is better to collect pears a little earlier, they will quietly lie in the sun or in the shade and ripen.
To understand that pears are ready for harvesting can be done on several grounds - the rind began to change color, the flesh acquired a creamy hue, the seeds became brown. Such fruits will be easily removed from the branches, without effort.
After harvesting, pears can be stored for another 3-4 weeks, if conditions are good for them. The best place for them will be a dark room with normal humidity and above zero temperature. There should not be hot or dry, the room should be well ventilated. You can also freeze these pears, canned or even dried.
Reviews on the Forest Beauty pear
Due to the shortcomings of the Forest Beauty variety, many gardeners abandon it in favor of more modern species, but more often the reviews are positive.
- Timofey Arkhipov: "The variety is worthy of a place in my garden. The fruits are very tasty if you shoot it in time. We have only one pear in the garden, but the neighbors also have some sort of growing, as I understand, they pereopilyatsya, because we have a lot of harvest I use it for a wide variety of blanks, from drying to sap. The tree grows excellently, it requires pruning every year, because there are a lot of twigs, but the work pays for itself, so what is there to complain about? "
- Valentina Sidorchuk: “The Forest Beauty pear grows in my country, or rather, my grandmother’s. But the troubles with her in recent years are very high. Perhaps the age of the tree affected, but it hurts in a terrible way, it was afraid that all the neighboring trees would become infected. then they assisted in a large-scale pruning, and then treatment with strong fungicides in the spring and autumn. The tree began to revive, the young wagons gave, but it is not known how it will go further, I would not want to root out completely. "
- Vladislav Glushkov: “The Forest Beauty's tree is small, so it was decided to grow it. Yield, given that there are no pollinators, is average. Our seedling has not been sick for 6 years, but we spray it with infusion of ash and soap, as well as weak urea each spring and autumn, this may be the case. The only drawback is that in a dry summer, the harvest is frayed even before ripening. "