Augustine - grapes bred by Bulgarian breeders. In many sources it is also referred to under the name Pleven Steady, Phenomenon. The grapes of Augustine can take a worthy place in the garden, but only with proper cultivation will give you a decent harvest. Description of the variety and features of its cultivation are presented in this article.
Description of the grape variety Augustine
Grapes Augustine belongs to table varieties. Since the beginning of spring, the vineyard is quickly moving away from frost, increasing the green mass, new pagon. Leaves rich green color, slightly dissected. Stems brown, speckled. Flowers bisexual, pollinated even on cloudy and rainy days. Ripening berries observed since mid-August.Important! Due to the rapid growth of bushes, Augustine grapes are often used to decorate gazebos, fences, columns and other structures.
The peel is yellow-green, it shines in the light, and is covered with a thin layer of plaque on top.
The clusters are wide at the base and narrower closer to the tip. The structure is loose. The average weight of 400-500 g, but there are brushes of larger or smaller sizes. Berries weigh about 5 grams. Taste without features, but pleasant, harmonious. The peel is yellow-green, it shines in the light, and is covered with a thin layer of plaque on top. It is dense, but eaten without problems. The flesh is sweet, fleshy with a pleasant aroma. Seeds are usually up to 6 pieces.
The main characteristics of grapesRead also these articles.
- Strawberry Compote Recipes
- How to water the watermelons
- Breed geese Legart
- Soybean meal
Augustine grapes are grown mainly for fresh consumption. But for winemaking, processing for juice or raisins it is used very rarely. The main characteristics of the species are presented below.
- Early ripening of the crop.
- It has a high resistance to frost. At -24 degrees, he feels comfortable, but if the winter is more frosty, it is worthwhile to provide protection to the bush.
- Transportability is high, clusters are easy to transport, even over long distances. On the road, the berries do not crumple, retain their shape and do not let the juice.
- Augustine grapes are often grown for sale due to the marketability of the grapes.
Due to the rapid growth of bushes, Augustine grapes are often used to decorate arborsInteresting! A ripe crop can be stored on the vine for over 2 weeks. It is not necessary to collect clusters during this time if there is no time. They do not spoil, do not showered. Berries retain taste, sugar content.
- The grape variety Augustine has a strong immune system. If you take care of them correctly, the vineyard will not be sick.
- Wasps are usually not interested in these grapes, except that if their hive is located next to a vineyard.
- Productivity is 120-140 c / hectare. This is a very high figure. With proper care, you can collect up to 50 kg of crop.
- The taste is excellent, but if the weather has been rainy for a long time, the flesh may become watery and the skin will crack or even rot.
How to grow grapes Augustine
The main thing in growing Augustine grapes is to find a good place with nutrient-rich soil. Place for landing can be sunny or in partial shade, but protected from strong wind. This grape grows quietly in the shade, only the berries may not be as sweet as those grown in the sun. The land is better loamy, black soil will do.
Photo of grapes seedlings Augustine
You can plant as cuttings, and small bushes. Another variety is sometimes propagated by layering. Cuttings are kept well and do not deteriorate especially during transportation. Approximately 90% of cuttings take root without problems, so that re-planting is carried out in rare cases.Interesting! If for reproduction use a young seedling, then you need to plant in the spring, in other cases you should choose an autumn planting.
Plants are planted at a distance of 150 cm from each other in a row, and 2-3 meters between the rows are made. The pit is prepared in a few weeks. Its depth should be about 80 cm and width about a meter. Fertile land is made from compost and garden soil. During planting, the seedling is placed in a hole so that the neck is a little bit buried, because the earth will still drain! Then the roots are covered with soil and compacted. After planting the soil watered with 1-2 buckets of water and mulch.
Care featuresWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Royal jelly
- Growing pepper seedlings
- Planting apricot
- How many years live horses
In care culture is unpretentious, but gives a good harvest only with regular care. In the first 2 years after planting, the bushes need only watering and loosening the soil, and then more serious care begins.
- The grape variety Augustine loves wet soil. Dry land is often reflected in the quality of the crop. In particular, it is necessary to monitor the humidity during the growth of green mass and flowering of grapes. Watering should be more and in dry weather, in summer, if it is hot outside, but you need to make sure that the land does not get swamped.
- To less moisture evaporated, it is necessary to make mulch in the root area.
- The first feeding after planting in fertilized land is carried out for 3 year. In the fall, organic substances (humus, compost) are introduced under the digging, and in the spring - minerals (potash-phosphorus), immediately after the snow melts.
- The formation of the bush allows you to get more yield. The bush itself becomes well-groomed, the vine is not sick, the number of young pagons, leaves is rationed annually so that the sun's rays can fall into the middle of the bush. It is advisable to shorten each pagon by 6-12 eyes annually. Thus, the bush will be compact, but developed.
Formation of a grape bushImportant! If you do not pinch, pruning, removal of excess stepsons berries can begin to diminish and yield decreases.
- The land between the bushes should be loosened several times a year so that it is not heavily rammed and not taken in a dense crust.
- If the winters in the region are cold, it is necessary to cover the base of the bush. The vine itself can be bent down and laid in a dug dug in advance, and covered with spruce and film on top. But it is important that the film does not touch the vine itself! From above, the shelter is also warmed with spruce branches, like the base of the bush. If it seems that the shelter is unreliable, you can top it with earth. In the spring, when the snow melts, the bushes open.
The land between the bushes should be loosened several times a year.
From the second half of August, you can begin to taste the berries. There is no need to hurry with the harvest, the clusters can be stored on the vine for 2-3 weeks without spoiling.
How to deal with pests and diseases
Augustine grapes have good resistance to many diseases, but with improper care or under certain weather conditions, fungal diseases can develop.
- A young bush is always treated for prevention with a solution of potassium permanganate of a light pink color.
- For the prevention of oidium and mildew in the spring, when it warms up to 20 degrees, it is necessary to spray the bushes with a solution of sulfur (35 g per 10 liters of water). If the plant is already sick, then the concentration of the solution increases by 2-5 times.
- After flowering, a bush prone to mildew should be sprayed with a Bordeaux mixture or fungicides like “Poliram”, “Thanos”.
- Phylloxera for the Augustine variety is also dangerous. The easiest way to fight it is with such drugs as Fozalon, Actellic and the like. The treatment is carried out during the blooming of the kidneys. But if the first spraying did not help, after blooming the leaves, you can repeat it.
- Clove often appears on this grape variety. If you do not fight the pest, the berries may start to rot. Copes well with the insect insecticide "Fitoverm". This drug is used at any time during the growth of the crop, but not during flowering or when the crop is ready for harvest.
Reviews of grape variety Augustine
Thanks to the positive qualities and wonderful taste of grapes, Augustine has gained quite a few supporters among summer residents.
- Victor Bredis: “Sweet, juicy, beautiful Augustine grapes are enjoyed by my whole family. The berries do not crunch, but are very juicy, the bones are large, so it’s easy to choose. And the variety is simple in cultivation. I am glad that the wasps are indifferent to it. The grapes were sick with us only once, when a rainy summer fell, but after several treatments with fungicides the problem disappeared. "
- Diana Muratova: "I tried to make jam and juice from Augustine grapes. There were no difficulties with the latter, but the stones were disturbed in jam. But in general I am satisfied with the taste. The variety is good, for any type of processing, you can even freeze it. Harmonious taste, tender flesh good to eat, although the skin is harsh for me, but it's not for everybody. "
- Mikhail Nekrasov: “A few years ago, they planted a bush of the Augustinian variety. It took a long time to take root, and this year it gave a good harvest for the first time. The berries tasted like honey, we removed extra grapes and pagons in time, so the bush started up only 3 grapes. But they are 1 kg with large berries. If it continues to be so good, we will sell.
Attractive appearance of clusters, the sweet taste of berries made Augustine grapes a favorite with many buyers. It is not difficult to grow, although a certain amount of skill from the grower will be required. And thanks to its resistance to many diseases, frosts, as well as the rapid rooting of seedlings, this variety can be grown in almost all regions of Russia and countries with similar climatic conditions.