Pear is a beautiful garden tree, but unfortunately it does not grow everywhere. In areas with unstable weather, where cold is replaced by rains, and heat is only a few months a year, few people manage to grow large-fruited, sweet varieties. But nothing is impossible! Grafting a pear makes it possible to grow absolutely any varieties in any climatic zones where cultivated plants can grow.
Why plant a pear?
Vaccination of a pear may take indefinite time and if there is no experience in this matter, then it may not be possible to carry out the procedure right the first time. But if everything is so difficult, then why bother with a pear at all? The fact is that this procedure has a lot of advantages over the separate cultivation of trees in the garden.
On the photo graft pear
- The vaccination allows you to grow pear varieties in the northern and middle regions that are designed for warm climates. Often they do not tolerate frosts and quickly freeze out if they are planted separately in the garden, but when they are grafted onto other, cold-resistant crops, they can even withstand temperatures of -35 degrees or more!
- The yield of grafted trees is not inferior to the yield of those crops that grow separately.
- The vaccination allows you to grow several varieties at once on one tree. This saves space on the site. A gardener gets several types of crops at once - this expands the possibilities.
- Grafting a pear, like any other fruit crop, can save a variety, provided the tree is very sore.
When is the best time to vaccinate?Read also these articles.
- Rabbits Poltava silver
- Compote from grapes
- How to prepare the bees for the winter
- Raspberry variety Glen Coe
Vaccination is a responsible procedure. You can perform it only at a certain time, otherwise the chance of success may decrease at times.
Blooming pear leaves
- Grafting pears in the spring is the best and most popular method. The best time is early spring before bud break. You can also do this later, but only before the flowers appear. Almost 100% success is achieved by vaccination from March to mid-April.
- Vaccination of pears in the summer is not often, but to say that it is impossible at all. Vaccination of pear in August gives the best results. To do it in June is a bad idea, and in July it may be too hot. At the same time, it is at the beginning of August that the movement of the juices in the trees is re-activated — the cuttings can quickly settle down without problems.
- Grafting a pear in the fall does not usually give a good result. The pear leaves the harvest for a long time, grafting is a great stress for it, so the autumn procedure can lead to the fact that the tree will not be ready for frosts and will not survive the winter.
What graft pear?
In order for a grafted pear to quickly take root, it is necessary to find a suitable stock for it. In the case of a pear, it can be an apple tree, mountain ash, quince, shadberry, chokeberry and, of course, another pear. Pear stock should have strong immunity, be healthy, strong. Suit fry or varieties such as "Svetlyanka", "Severyanka", "Tonkovetka", Ussuri pear.
The procedure for performing a simple copying when grafting a pear on an apple tree
When grafting pears to irgu, mountain ash or chokeberry, they always get a dwarf plant. This is convenient in terms of care, but you will not have to wait for a big harvest. The harvest is always standardized so that the tree does not break and a good support is established under such a plant. Grafting on quince is effective, but the pear will not be frost resistant. But on the apple tree sometimes it is possible to get a well-developed pear, but such vaccinations take root only in 50% of cases.
Grafting pear cuttingsWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How to drink chickens for prevention
- The best bull meat breeds
- Governor's Geese
- How to feed garlic in the spring?
You can plant a pear using different methods. Here, vaccination time and experience play a big role. Graft cuttings are used much more often than kidney grafting. They inoculate the pear in different ways, but all methods are not very simple and require practice.
Graft trees are most often propagated by grafting.
- If a thin stalk and a young tree stock is selected for grafting, then it is worthwhile to carry out a simple or improved copulation. On the pagon from the tree and on the handle, an oblique cut is made so that they can be joined into one single twig. When the slice is made and the stalk is applied to the pagon, it is necessary to tie them well with a film, rope or cloth so that the stalk does not shift even with strong wind. Improved copulation requires that the cut on the pagon and the handle be zigzag - this provides a better grip.
- If the stock is thicker than the shank several times, you can use the grafting method for the bark. It is necessary to make an incision in the cortex up to 5 cm and simply insert a pointed cutting there, and then wind it well so that it does not move.
- The second variant of grafting, when the cutting is less in diameter than the stock - in cleft. To do this, it is necessary to cut a tree trunk at a height of 20 cm. Now a split up to 6 cm in depth is made in the trunk. On one side of the cutting a wedge-shaped cut is made, and it is inserted into the split. In one trunk, you can insert no more than 2 cuttings. The result is fixed with a cloth or plastic.
Grafting a pear kidney
Bud bud grafting or grafting is one of the most well-known grafting methods. They carry out budding from about mid-July to early August. You can also try the procedure in early spring. As a stock always take a young sapling.
Types and methods of grafting fruit trees
- First you need to clear the stem of the stock so that the root collar can be seen. At a height of 10 cm removed all the branches. This part of the trunk is wiped with a damp cloth and then a T-shaped incision is made up to a length of 3 cm.
- A pear stalk is taken in hand and with a scissors knife, or the simplest, but very sharp, with an eyelet cut off with adjacent tissues. It turns out the so-called shield. The length of it should be the same as the length of the T-shaped cut on the tree.
- T-shaped incision gently moves apart. You can do it with a knife, but only carefully and the instrument must be disinfected. A flap with a kidney is inserted into the incision and is pressed tightly. It should fit well into the cut.
- Now it is necessary to tie a place of inoculation with polyethylene so that the kidney can be seen, and the whole shield is covered with the bark of the tree cut. It should fit snugly to the shield so that the vaccine has caught on!
Care after vaccination
In order for the vaccinated pear to develop quickly, it needs to provide complete care.
Photo watering pear
- 14-21 days after vaccination, it is necessary to check the cutting or the bud. If they are not dry, of normal color, then the graft has taken root and you can no longer worry about it. If the cutting or bud is dry, you need to remove them and repeat the procedure.
- Dressings with vaccinations can be removed after the bud or stalk grows, but experts recommend, in the case of a pear, to leave it until the autumn, if the vaccination was carried out in spring or until spring, if it was done in August.
- It is important to monitor the status of the stock. If the tree is sick, then there will be little confusion from vaccination. So in the first year of vaccination spend all the necessary spraying from diseases and pests.
- Watering is done regularly to keep the ground dry. The tree during this period needs a lot of moisture.
- Pagons that appear on the branch below the vaccination must be cut with a pruner so that they do not pull the juice from the branch.
- It is advisable not to skimp on top dressing in the year of vaccination. In spring, summer and autumn, the tree is fertilized, but in moderation, just to maintain its strength.
Grafting a pear allows you to get a rich harvest of a wide variety of varieties. This is a rather difficult procedure, but with time comes the skill, especially since you can practice in advance on dry sticks and logs. And when it starts to turn out, they carry out a high-quality inoculation of the pear using one or different methods.