Not all varieties of tomatoes meet the expectations of gardeners. Proven species usually give a stable yield, but, unfortunately, high-quality seeds are not always come across, even if you buy specialized ones, in packages. Therefore, many gardeners recommend collecting seeds on their own from proven, favorite varieties grown on the site, rather than buying seeds annually at the risk of the crop. How to collect tomato seeds at home will be described in this article.
When are tomato seeds harvested?
Before you pick tomato seeds, you need to pay attention to certain points.
- Fruits must be varietal, not hybrid. If on the packaging of seeds that were bought for growing the plant, there was no F1 mark, then this is a varietal plant, and if it was, it was a hybrid.
The photo shows how to get your tomato seeds.
- It is recommended to collect seeds from zoned tomatoes. The fact is that the seeds of fruits grown abroad can long become acclimatized to new conditions and give a bad result afterwards.
- With purchased tomatoes, not always good seeds are obtained. For a start, it is difficult to identify a variety in the market, and what is written on the price tag does not always correspond to reality. So it is best to collect seeds from those tomatoes that were grown on their own site.
From what fruit can you collect seeds?Read also these articles.
- Proper care of cucumbers in the greenhouse
- The best dairy breeds of cows
- How to grow leek
- Wild bees
Many gardeners harvest seeds from tomatoes, but only from some they produce a large crop. Why is that? In order for the collected seeds in the future to produce a big crop, you need to know from what fruits it is worth picking them. There are a few tricks.
- Tomatoes can be collected only from developed, strong plants. It is very important that there are no diseases on them and that they are not affected by pests!
- Fruits on seeds are torn off only from the bottom, the first branch of the bush.
- Tomatoes must be ripe, but not overripe. After all, when overripe collapses the protective shell of the seed.
Tomato seeds photoInteresting! The largest tomato was grown by American Golden Graeme in 1986. Its weight was 3.5 kg!
- Selected for sampling planting material is usually the most beautiful, large (but not abnormally large) fruits, you can say - a sample of the variety.
If in a similar way to select applicants for the collection of seeds, they will bring a large, high-quality harvest in the future.
What is needed to collect seeds at home?
Photo of the tomato in the cut
In order to collect tomato seeds at home, do not need any special tools, but still something will be needed. Namely:
- sharp knife for cutting;
- spoon (table or tea);
- piece of gauze folded 2-3 times;
As you can see, materials for collecting seeds can be found in any home. It remains only to choose how to collect tomato seeds, because there are two effective methods.
How to properly harvest tomato seeds for seedlings?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Currant variety Selechenskaya
- Growing Brussels Sprouts
- Galvanized beds
- The best varieties of pickles for pickling
Simple, and as they say, gardeners, the correct method of seed collection is to help fermentation (fermentation). First you need to cut the fruit into halves or quarters - how convenient it is to have access to the seed chambers. After that, you need to remove the liquid from the tomato in the prepared plate or jar. This is done through a simple spoon. The material of the dish can be any (metal, plastic, enamel), as long as the container is clean and free from damage.
Tomato seed seedlings for seedlings
During the collection of seeds, it is important to ensure that not only seeds but also juice are in the jar, otherwise the next stage will not be possible. For fermentation, cover the container with seeds and juice, but so that it was not tight. Depending on the temperature in the room, the fermentation process can last 24-48 hours.Important! If you overdo the seeds in a jar, they can germinate and become unsuitable for planting next year.
When a film appears on the surface and the air bubbles sap brighten, and the seeds for the most part will sink to the bottom of the can, the process can be considered complete. To wash you need to pour the seeds into a fine sieve, and thoroughly wash under running water from the tap.
Washed seeds are recommended to be put on a paper towel or napkin and left for a short time to make the glass excess liquid. To dry them laid out on a flat surface to dry well. It is better to use a small plate or saucer, it will be easier to collect seeds from them after they are completely dry. A week is enough to dry the seeds. Then they are laid out in paper envelopes and signed by the name of the variety.
How to quickly collect the seeds?
How to collect tomato seeds, if not enough time for the method with fermentation? In this case, you can use a more simplified version. You need to take good tomatoes, a knife and a napkin. First, the fruit is cut, then remove the liquid with the seeds and spread on a napkin. The napkin is placed on a flat surface, and the seeds are dried for a week.It is important! To dry the seeds in the open sun is not recommended. The sun can burn them or promote germination when the seeds are still wet.
When the seeds are dry, they are neatly separated and stored. It should be immediately noted that such seeds are slightly worse in quality than those obtained during fermentation, but they also give good germination and yield.
How to store tomato seeds?
After the seeds of tomatoes have been gathered and they have dried out well, they need to be decomposed into paper bags and labeled with the name of the variety so as not to be confused. Instead of paper bags, you can take fabric, if any. But plastic bags are not always suitable. In them the seeds can mate. For the same reason, glass containers are rarely used for storage.
After sorting, you need to put the bags in a container where all the seeds are stored, and put in a dark, place where it is not very hot, but not cold. During storage it is very important to ensure that there are no sudden changes in temperature - this is very harmful! In the spring, seeds are obtained, checked for condition and used for sowing. It is also worth noting that tomato seeds are not recommended to be stored for more than 4 years, they deteriorate more and more every year and may then not germinate at all.