Among the different varieties of melons stands out - Altai. It can be grown in climatic zones with a temperate rather than hot climate, it thrives well in a short time, and also gives tasty, sweet fruits. Altai melon has many advantages, so it is loved by gardeners in Russia and abroad.
Description of Altai melon variety
Pulp is dense, white, sometimes cream
The Altai melon is a ripening variety that produces the first fruits within 70 days after germination. The plant is average in height, the central stem grows up to 2 meters. The leaves are large, green. Flowers are also large. This is a fruitful variety, giving about 25 tons of crop per hectare of planting.Important! The main advantage of the Altai melon is that it can grow even in regions with a temperate or cool climate, including Siberia or Altai, known for its changeable weather!
Fruits are oval in shape, weighing about 0.8-2 kg. The peel is thin, golden brown, covered with white mesh. The flesh is thick, white, sometimes cream. The taste of Altai melon is sweet, rich, aroma is strong and very pleasant. Use is universal. The variety is suitable for drying, drying, fresh use, cooking compote, juice, jam and other goodies.
Variety suitable for long-term transportation due to its dense structure. The harvest is stored is not small, during transportation does not deteriorate, but if the melon Altai crushed or spoiled, its shelf life is reduced by 2-2.5 times!
Growing melon AltaiRead also these articles.
- How to store winter garlic
- Zucchini variety Aral F1
- Perineum machine
- The best varieties of early cabbage
In the southern regions can be planted seed method
In the southern regions, where the climate is warm or hot, mild - suitable for growing melons, you can plant crops in the second half of May, moreover by the seed method, without wasting time on seedlings. Planting material before use, you need to warm up for 3-4 hours at a temperature of +50 degrees, and then also put in salt solution (2%). All the seeds that have surfaced are thrown away, and the remaining ones are taken out and kept for another 30 minutes in a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
In regions where spring and summer are not very hot, you should use the seedling method of growing Altai melon. Seedlings are always made in advance or bought, but you need to keep in mind that for growing crops (successful cultivation), you need to choose only the most tall, strong shoots. Seeds for seedlings are sown immediately in separate cups with a diameter of about 7 cm. The earth is made from a part of peat, two parts of rotted manure and a part of sod land.
In order for the seeds to sprout quickly, containers with them are placed in a room with a temperature of +18 degrees and covered with a film. A week later there are sprouts. And when the seedling will have 3 leaves, you can transplant it to a permanent place in the open ground or greenhouse.Interesting! In greenhouses, melons are usually grown in cold regions, because it is in such closed rooms that heat lasts the longest. Moreover, it is possible to equip a heating and artificial lighting system there.
Planting in the open ground a melon of the Altai variety can only be done in full sun, where there is not even a penumbra!
To plant in the open ground a melon of Altai variety, it is worth only in sunny places, where there is not even a penumbra! At the same time, natural protection from the wind does not hurt. Since autumn, the earth is well digged, fertilized with organic matter (34 kg of manure per square), minerals (potassium, phosphorus). It does not hurt to also make the sand in the heavy ground, because the melon grows best on the loose soil. Before planting, the procedure is repeated, then the earth is loosened, leveled and make wells for planting.
In the greenhouse the Altai melon is planted at a distance of 60-70 cm from each other. In the open ground, she needs more space - 100-120 cm between shoots. The depth of the holes is 5 cm. Water is first poured into them, then they put a little humus (a small handful) and interfere with the ground. Then you can plant a seed or seedlings. It is necessary to plant seedlings so that the earthen room (from the seedling pot) looks out a little above the ground - without digging it completely! After planting, the melons are watered and darkened for 1-2 weeks from the hot sun until they are completely strong.
Altai melon does not cause in the care of the same difficulties that many other southerners. And yet without proper control, this plant will not yield.
Pollination for Altai melon is necessary
- Watering is carried out depending on the weather 1-2 times a week. The land should not be swamped, rather just wet. If it is dry - you need to immediately water the culture.
- After watering, the beds are loosened, but not to a great depth, simply so that the upper layer is not taken off by a crust. This will allow soil aeration, and melons will grow much faster.
- If Altai is grown in a greenhouse, then from time to time the room is opened to reduce the humidity of the air inside. If this is not done, fungal diseases, mold will begin to develop.
- Pollination for the Altai melon variety is necessary, therefore, for plants that grow in the greenhouse, it is necessary to ventilate during the flowering period, bring a hive with bees inside or manually pollinate by touching each flower with a special brush.
- Fertilizers make mineral or organic every 1.5 weeks. In the first half of the growing season, nitrogen fertilizers (urea, mullein) are needed. From the second half of the growing season, only potassium-phosphorus substances (humus, wood ash, superphosphate, potassium sulfate, etc.) are introduced.
- To begin to develop and side shoots, and not just the central, it should pinch after 5 leaves.
- Each bush usually leaves up to 5 ovaries. More melons will have small sizes, not very sweet taste, and they will need to ripen much longer.
- Birds love melon varieties Altai. So they do not peck sweet fruits, it is necessary to install a repeller.
- When the plant is still small, the beds begin to mulch. This will allow the stems, leaves and fruits not to touch the ground - do not rot even after abundant watering or heavy rain.
Diseases and pestsWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How to plant gooseberry spring seedlings
- Repair Strawberry - the best varieties
- Periwinkle flower
- Why do piglets grow poorly and eat
Preparations to combat the diseases and pests of melon
Altai melon variety is susceptible to such diseases as powdery mildew, Fusarium, Copperhead. All of these diseases usually manifest themselves through spots on the leaves that are hard to miss. To prevent these diseases from occurring, seed is etched before planting and the rules of crop rotation are observed.
Already adults, affected cultures should simply be sprayed with fungicides or bordeaux liquids familiar to all. However, it is necessary to take into account - the more neglected the problem, the more difficult it is to solve it. If the disease is not curable, the plant is simply pulled out and burned to stop the spread.
From aphids, spider mites, thrips use biological or chemical insecticides Kemifos, Fitoverm, Maxi.
Reviews of melon Altai
Altai melon grows very quickly, if it is the right way to grow and besides it gives a big crop, therefore gardeners love it.
- Elena Zolotko: “The Altai variety melon likes the taste. It has a thin rind, so there is a lot of firm, hard, hard pulp, due to which the crop can be transported over long distances. The beautiful view of melons, the aroma coming from them, attracts many buyers, so for sale it is a very profitable variety! "
- Alexey Vishnevsky: "Even in cold areas, this variety produces a good harvest. I grow my plants exclusively through seedlings and only in the greenhouse. The crop is at least 6-8 full-fledged fruits with sweet pulp every year - that is, completely ripe."
- Maxim Voronov: “The Altai melon variety is good, but one of the drawbacks must be noted that it is often affected by the disease. For the first three years I suffered with treatment, now I’m sure to pickle the seeds, the earth and 4-5 times during the growing period I treat with folk preparations from fungi and insects. much less work, alas, more work. "