To grow delicious garlic, you need to properly care for him. During its cultivation there may be various problems. Most often, gardeners complain of yellowing leaves. Depending on when the garlic leaves turn yellow and what other accompanying signs are present, the reason may be different and the measures to solve the problem, too. Why garlic turns yellow and how to deal with it, you can read below in the article.
What to do if the garlic turns yellow
When the garlic turns yellow, the gardener immediately wants to take measures to make the problem disappear. But late actions can lead to even greater problems. To prevent this from happening, you must first determine why the garlic turns yellow, and only then choose the method of its treatment. You can fix this situation by:
- fungicide treatments;
- insecticide treatments;
- top dressing;
- use of popular recipes;
- improve growing conditions, etc.
Why does garlic turn yellow in springRead also these articles.
- Calf diseases and treatment
- Orchid Dendrobium
- Long-awaited grape variety
- Description of potato diseases and their treatment
The reasons why the garlic turns yellow
Very often, gardeners wonder why garlic turns yellow in spring. It would seem that the weather is normal and the conditions are those that are necessary for growth, but something is still wrong. This is a common problem, and there can be many reasons. Most often these are banal returnable frosts that a gardener may not notice at all. They come at night, and in the morning it is more or less warm, cool, but not cold! However, a sharp change in the weather on garlic can be so reflected.
The second reason is lack of nitrogen. Spring is a time when garlic builds up greens. If there is little nitrogen in the earth, one way or another, there will be a shortage and it will start to hurt - consider this! Therefore, experts and say all the time that nitrogen fertilization in the spring is mandatory!
Well, and finally, the cause can be pests and diseases, which at this time are waking up and becoming active. For them in the spring there are already a lot of different delicacies, there is something to profit from, where to lay eggs, disputes, therefore from the middle of spring - this is a problem in any garden.
Why does garlic turn yellow in May
Spring is the time when nature blooms. Everything is green, fresh, and therefore rather strange to see how young garlic loses its leaf color and turns yellow as early as May, or even earlier! Why is this happening and what to do?
- Very often, winter garlic, after it has been proclaimed in the spring, begins to turn yellow quickly. The reason is too early, late or deep planting, causing garlic to freeze. It is practically impossible to correct the situation completely, but it is possible by spraying with Silk, Succinic Acid or Epin stimulants to provoke a rapid growth of new leaves, an increase in the resistance of the culture.
Processing of garlic with liquid ammonia
- Spring frosts, which can occur throughout this entire period of the year, are a frequent cause of yellow leaves. To correct the situation is not easy, but it is possible, by spraying the drug Zircon, to increase the resistance of the plant. Carry out the procedure once a week until complete recovery of the culture (dilute 1 ml of the drug in 10 liters of water). For prevention, you can simply cover the garlic at night until the threat of frost disappears.
- Often, in May, garlic begins to turn yellow leaves, if the earth is acidic. This culture loves only neutral soil - you need to take this into account before planting. If the land does not fit, you can dilute it with dolomite flour, and after planting, simple wood ash will do.
Also, the reason may be a lack of nitrogen, but more on that below.
Improper care as a cause of yellowingWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Breeding goats as a business
- Radish pests
- How to treat histomoniasis turkeys and prevention measures
- Breed of chickens Hisex Brown
Improper care is one of the most common reasons why garlic turns yellow.
- If the garlic is watered a little, it will suffer from thirst and this will affect the color of the leaves. You can correct the situation by abundantly watering it (but not filling it).
- When the water in the ground is very much the leaves turn yellow first and then turn brown. The reason is that the root system starts to rot and is very fast. To save such a culture is almost impossible.
- Weeding, or rather the lack of it, can also lead to this problem. If the roots lack air, they will develop poorly. Timely weeding improves soil aeration and promotes better culture development.
- When there is little potassium in the earth and the gardener does not feed garlic, it begins to turn yellow. In this case, you need to take any potash fertilizer and use it as a feed in the diluted form. For example, potassium sulfate is diluted as follows - 1 teaspoon per liter of water.
Why leaves turn yellow in garlic - diseases and pests
Diseases and pests are common causes of yellowing of garlic tops. At the same time, the problem can be observed in spring, summer or autumn - depending on when the plant was affected and how severely.
Methods of dealing with the onion fly
- Onion fly loves garlic and often feeds on it. You can fight it with a simple powder made from wood ash and tobacco dust. The alternative is insecticides (Fufanon, Karbofos), but they are usually used only in extreme cases. Prevention: if you plant carrots next to them, the onion fly will not be disturbed by garlic.
- Nematode lives in the ground and can infect garlic. The leaves of the affected culture turn yellow, twist, the head rots in the ground. If you dig an onion, you can see small twisted worms on it under a microscope. Methods of control - insecticides, "Aktellik", for example.
- Bacterial rot affects teeth. They take black dots, then become like frozen and begin to smell unpleasantly. Feathers turn yellow, leaves and arrows dry out. They treat the disease with fungicides, but they rarely help.
- Fusarium - Donets rot is manifested in the yellowing of the tips of the leaves. Leaves and stem dry. In the sinuses, you can notice pink bloom, the ground part is covered with stripes of brown color, and in the dug bulb you can notice the absence of the root system. The bottom of the head will be watery, soft. It is very difficult to cure the disease, because there is no effective remedy for it.
Also, the reason why garlic leaves turn yellow can be diseases like black mold or basal rot. The drug Tiram will help in the fight against the latter, but usually there is no salvation from the black mold.
Why the tips of the leaves turn yellow
Garlic care from sowing to storage
Sometimes it is the tips of the leaves of garlic that turn yellow, and not the whole leaf. What is the reason?
- Due to the lack of nitrogen, the tips of the leaves first turn yellow. This usually happens in the spring when a culture especially needs this element. In this case, urea (a tablespoon per 10 liters of water) or any other nitrogenous fertilizer will help. You can use and mullein.
- Fusarium, which was discussed above, is manifested primarily in the yellowing of the tips of the leaves.
The yellowed tips of the leaves of garlic can also be an early signal about the lack of watering, frost, the wrong composition of the soil.
It is not always clear why the garlic turns yellow, but in most cases, simple folk remedies help.
- Wood ash is the simplest and most effective method. It helps from diseases, pests, with a lack of nutrients, and even dilutes the soil! It is used simply as a powder on a plant or diluted in water (a glass of 10 liters) and used for watering. Only before irrigation you need to loosen the ground.
- If you sow calendula or tagges between the rows, there will be no pests on garlic.
- Another option is salt. It usually helps with certain diseases and pests (onion fly). It is used as follows: a handful of salt is diluted in a watering can (5-7 liters) and used for irrigation late in the evening, after sunset.
- To prevent the nematode from dwelling in the ground, it is necessary to dilute the acidic soil with dolomite flour or lime before planting garlic. In an acidic environment, this pest feels good, but in a neutral or slightly acidic environment it dies.
There are many reasons why garlic leaves turn yellow. If you find a problem in time, you can usually solve it, but if you ignore it, then most likely the yield will suffer.