Dutch strawberry variety Kimberly is known all over the world. Gardeners call its main qualities a friendly, medium early ripening, the taste of berries and their presentation. Kimberley strawberries are popular in home gardening and commercial cultivation. On the characteristics of the variety and the method of its cultivation will be discussed in this article.
Kimberly Strawberry Variety Description
Berries weighing 20-35 g, but can reach a weight of 50 g
Strawberry Kimberley has a medium early ripening. Fruiting is always friendly, one-time (the variety is not repairable) and lasts no more than 3 weeks. Productive cycle bush 3-5 years. If you keep it on the garden longer, the harvest, he almost will not give.
The plant is average in height, with sprawling leaves. Mustaches are formed on average, they are thick, green or red. The leaves are large, rich green in color with wide teeth on the edge and a shiny face. Flowers bisexual, white, large. There is a lot of pollen in them, so there are no problems with pollination.Interesting! To get a strawberry harvest a week earlier, it is necessary to cover it in early spring using a light spunbond, and when the bushes start to rise, raise the protective cover so that it does not press on the leaves, but not completely remove. Remove the protection when it is already warm enough outside.
Strawberries are conical, no cervix. Berries weighing 20-35 g, but the first strawberry of the season is usually the largest and can reach a weight of 50 g. The color of the surface glossy skin is scarlet, sometimes orange-red. The pulp in the cut is red, maybe with an orange tint. It is dense, there are no voids inside. The number of seeds is average yellow.
Characteristics of Kimberley StrawberriesRead also these articles.
- How to water grapes
- Zemklunik Kupchikha
- The benefits and harm of peach
- Grape diseases
Berries like pests such as wasps, weevils, slugs and ants.
Characteristics of Kimberley strawberries include both advantages and disadvantages.
- It is grown in open and closed ground.
- The Kimberley strawberry variety is adapted to different soil types.
- Commercial quality berries can be transported over long distances.
- Winter hardiness is high.
- The variety is resistant to drought and heat.
- There is a sustained immunity to powdery mildew, but gray mold often affects the bushes.
- Berries like pests, such as wasps, weevils, slugs and ants.
- Tasting Kimberly taste score 4.8 points out of 5 possible. The variety is sweet. The level of sugars in the composition of 10%.
- The yield of the Kimberley strawberry variety is 150 q / ha, from a bush it is about 2 kg.
How and where to plant strawberries
Photos of Kimberley strawberry seedlings
The easiest way to propagate strawberries is a Kimberley mustache. But before you plant it, you need to find a good place. It should be bright, sunny, with natural protection from winds on the one hand, as well as with a low level of groundwater, so that the roots do not rot.Interesting! Kimberly strawberry saplings are best purchased from a trusted seller or in specialized gardening farms and shops.
Good strawberry precursors are garlic, mustard, radish, beans and parsley. And after tomatoes, cucumbers and potatoes, plant this crop is not the best option. Planted seedlings in cloudy weather or early in the morning when it is not hot outside. The distance between the bushes is observed at 35 cm or more. Between the rows leave 50-70 cm of free space.
Caring for kimberlyWe recommend reading our other articles.
- TGB Incubator
- Pig Premixes
- The benefits and harm of cherries for humans
- How to freeze zucchini
In the cultivation of strawberries Kimberly is not difficult, but does not forget about yourself. Regular care not only improves yields, but also to achieve beautiful, large berries.
The easiest way to propagate strawberries is a Kimberley mustache
- Weeding the space between the bushes allows you to saturate the root system of plants with oxygen. At this time, all weeds are pulled out by the roots.
- For pests and diseases, it is recommended to spray strawberries of this variety with special fungicides and insecticides for prophylaxis, but only in early spring and after fruiting. If the problems appeared during the flowering or ripening of the berries, you should use any folk tinctures or similar, safe means.
- Excess whiskers on the bushes should be removed so that they do not interfere with the normal development of the plant. But, if you need to get more planting material, then remove, not a mustache, and flower stalks. The fewer they will be on the bush, the more antennae will appear.
- Lack of water for Kimberly can be a real problem. Strawberries are very sensitive to this, so they irrigate regularly and abundantly. Most of all water is needed at the beginning of spring, but at this time there is plenty of moisture from the melted snow. But in the summer, during a drought, you need to water the bushes often so that they do not dry out.
- Feeding is carried out in spring and autumn. You can use mineral fertilizer or organic fertilizer, as long as the fertilizer is freshly prepared.
- The Kimberly tolerates a strawberry of a sort of cold quite well, but it is best to cover it with straw and spruce branches for the winter.
As the berries ripen, you can gradually pick them
As the berries ripen, they can be gradually collected. Usually fruitful uniform - the berries ripen at once. They are removed in 2-3 stages. It is desirable to collect in dry weather, it is possible in the early morning, when it is not hot. Strawberries that have already been torn from the bush should be used for processing, transportation, or sent for storage in a refrigerator. Whole, not damaged berries, without a loss of taste and appearance can lie for about a week.
Strawberry varieties Kimberley universal destination. It is possible and even recommended to eat fresh, but it can also be used for processing (jam, jams, compotes). Freezing and drying are also possible.
Reviews on Kimberley strawberry variety
Experienced and novice gardeners often prefer the kind of strawberry Kimberley. You can read about their growing experiences below.
- Leonid Korneev: “The Kimberley variety proved to be excellent in the first 3 years of cultivation. This year, the three-year bushes gave a little harvest, but we planted new ones, so the next year we can expect a big harvest. I like this variety because it rarely hurts, in any case, we didn’t come across any diseases - only with slugs, but they should just be removed with any insecticide, the main thing is to carry out the treatment before the berries appear. "
- Albina Tsareva: "Kimberly is good not only fresh, but also in conservation. As an experienced cook, I can say that it makes excellent jam. The berries do not fall apart, retain some of the taste after cooking. The jars look beautiful. Compotes and jam are also tasty True, jam always has to be tricky to remove bones. But the work pays for itself! "
- Maria Selezneva: "Kimberley strawberries are good, but seedlings need to be bought with caution - often pollinated, from which there is little good. I grow for sale - bought quickly. Commercial quality berries, very beautiful, bright, brilliant, also have a strong flavor from them, so the counter is not stale. "