English roses were obtained thanks to the work of the British scientist David Austin in the 1980s, and therefore today they are often named after him. David Austin's roses have many distinctive characteristics, qualities, external features, for which flower growers have loved them all over the world. But, alas, they have not yet been officially singled out in a separate group series.
The history of the series
Photo by David Austin in a greenhouse with roses
The history of English roses began with the fact that David Austin, having traveled to France, saw local varieties that were undeservedly forgotten. This prompted him to create a whole series of roses, which look like old varieties, but more advanced, improved. He decided that new varieties should be suitable for growing in different climatic zones.Interesting! One of the goals of David Austin was to create a lot of yellow varieties of roses, so this color is most common in his series.
After about 10 years of hard work, a peony rose with lush buds and an amazing aroma was obtained. It bloomed only once a year, but it was more than enough. Culture called "Constance Spray". To this day, it is very popular, despite the fact that there are more practical varieties that give 2 flowering per year.
Even 25 years after his first success, David Austin bred more than 50 new species, obtained by crossing old varieties with tea rose, floribunda or wild rosehips. Today, the work of this great man is still ongoing - the breeding of roses has become a tradition in the family of David Austin.
David Austin roses descriptionRead also these articles.
- The best meat breeds of ducks with a description and photo
- Chickens breed Dominant
- Peach Variety Golden Anniversary
- Variety of garlic Dobrynya
Shrubs have the correct form
English roses of David Austin have a number of features that distinguish them from the old and modern species of other breeders. But what qualities do English roses have?
- Bushes have the correct form. They can be low, medium or high, as well as climbing, thick or sparse.
- Many varieties bloom once, but there are those that give re-flowering, although they are more susceptible to diseases, it is more difficult to tolerate pests and it is necessary to warm them for the winter.
- Disease resistance is high, especially in those varieties that bloom once.
- The aroma is strong, very pleasant, rich.
- Flowers on the bush are evenly distributed. This is really a beautiful sight in the flowering period.
- Varieties can grow in the sun and in the shade.
- The bud color depends on the variety, but, in general, the color range is very diverse.
- The shape of the bud is also different, but for the most part all varieties differ in their pomp.
There are also disadvantages to David Austin roses.
- Winter hardiness leaves much to be desired. Although it all depends on the climate. In the middle and warm regions they are not warmed for the winter. This is necessary for the most part only in the northern regions.
- The heat for the flowers is destructive, the roses turn pale and can peel off, so they need to be trimmed.
- Prolonged rains can cause the death of flowers, and then the whole bush.
- Varieties with large buds have another drawback - the flowers pull the shoots to the ground, so they must be tied up.
Yet the failures of flower growers are rarely noticed, because David Austin’s roses are truly amazing with beauty. For the sake of their flowering and care forces is not a pity! So new and old varieties are in great demand around the world.
The best varieties of roses David Austin
Photos of the best varieties of roses David Austin
List all varieties of roses David Austin is difficult, because today there are more than two hundred. Below will be presented the best varieties and their main characteristics.
- "James helway"obtained in 1985. The bush is a vigorous (about 1.5 meters), with long pagons and almost without thorns. Flowers are in perfect shape, double. The outer petals are slightly bent and large in size and the inner ones are small. The diameter of the buds is 10 cm. The color is pink in the center and paler to the edge. Blooms 2 times per season. There is resistance to some diseases.
- "Prince"Bred in 1990. It grows up to 75 cm in height. It is a small plant that can be grown even in a large pot. The flowers are rosette, 5-8 cm in diameter. The buds are gathered in brushes of 3-4 things. The aroma of rose oil becomes thinner. Resistance the disease is average, the plant can hurt, but with timely prevention problems usually do not occur. The color of the petals is velvet, purple. The plant blooms 2 times a year.
- "Leander"grows in height up to 150 cm. The buds are collected in brushes of 5-10 pieces on average. The flowers are not very large, 6-8 cm in diameter, but lush and beautiful. The shape is rosette, the color of the petals is bright apricot. The aroma during flowering is bigger fruity, not floral. It blooms only once a year, but it has a high resistance to disease.
One of David Austin's goals was to create many yellow varieties of roses.
- "William Morris"was bred in 1998. The bush is upright, 1.5 meters high. The buds reach 12 cm in diameter. The color is from pale pink to peach. The flowers are lush, double, cup-shaped, each has more than 40 petals. The aroma is strong and pleasant The bush blooms for a long time, it is abundant. There is resistance to rain, temperature extremes, some diseases.
- "Sinham thomas"obtained in 1983. It grows in height up to 120 cm, although it is lower. The shape of the flower is cup-shaped, with a diameter of up to 12 cm. The color of the petals is rich yellow, uniform. It blooms twice a season. It has an average resistance to diseases.
- "Christopher Marlowe"- a variety obtained in 2002. It can be grown without problems not only in greenhouses and open ground, but also in containers. It grows up to 0.8-1 meters in height. The flowers are cup-shaped, with a diameter of 8-10 cm, gathered in brush 3 things. The petals are pink and the buds are golden. The aroma is typical for a rose, pleasant. The blossom is continuous.
- "Grace"obtained in 2001. It grows up to a meter in height and can also be grown in containers. The flowers are cup-shaped, very lush, with a diameter of 8-10 cm, gathered in clusters of 3-5 pieces. Apricot-colored petals. The variety can be sore, but it happens not often. Flowering is continuous.
- "Claire austin"bred in 2007. It grows a bush up to 150 cm tall. The flower is cup-shaped, with a diameter of 8-10 cm. the color of the petals is white, without shades and spots. The aroma is musky. .
These are only the most popular varieties of roses David Austin. There are also many others, among which stand out: "Abraham Derby", "Lady of Megginch", "Princess Alexandra of Kent", "Sophis Rose" and many others.
Reviews about roses of David AustinWe recommend reading our other articles.
- The best varieties of tomatoes for greenhouses
- Texas Quail
- The best meat breeds of ducks with a description and photo
- Drinkers for cattle
Below are reviews of people who grew David Austin roses in their gardens.
- Lydia Sakharova: “I know that imported roses do not take root in the middle zone of Russia in the best way, but still ventured with the purchase of Spirit of Freedom. The choice did not disappoint. The flowers are large, lush, heavy, very beautifully cover the bush during flowering. Problems there was almost no cultivation, after the freezing of one branch, it began to warm up for the winter with quality. But otherwise, the variety is excellent. "
- Maxim Mayorov: "Sort" Anna Bolein ", I think the best for flower beds. The flowers are beautiful, large, the scent is delicate, it blooms 2 times a year. But besides, the variety makes little frosts, although I warm it for the winter, just in case. It is growing now 1 bush on the plot, but next year I’ll make room for another 1-2 bush. "
- Irina Rogova: “I bought a variety of“ Pilgrim ”a few years ago for my flower bed. I was afraid it wouldn’t take root, we have severe frosts in winter, but the bush is definitely good on my flower bed. at home, so I didn’t feel strong bush winds. I always warm for the winter, fertilize for a year. It blooms very lushly, the buds are simply amazing, big, beautiful - at least sell! ”