Eggplant Vera was bred by Russian breeders. It is resistant to low temperatures, so it is grown without problems in the Urals or in Siberia. Can grow in open and closed ground. Tastes are excellent, the plant is unpretentious, for which the gardeners love the variety.
Description of eggplant variety Vera
Fruits are pear-shaped, elongated by 15-20 cm and about 200 g
Eggplant Vera is an early variety, on average 115 days are needed for full ripening of the first fruits. Bushes grow to 75 cm or a maximum of 100 cm in greenhouse conditions. The leaflets are medium, green with purple tint. Along the edges of the sheet plate there are notches. Shrubs almost without thorns.
Fruits are pear-shaped, elongated by 15-20 cm and about 200 g. The color is dark purple. The peel is smooth, glossy, thin. The flesh is white, medium density, without voids. Taste without bitterness, pleasant. Variety Eggplant Vera can be braised, boiled, fried, baked. Crop that was not used in the summer, you can freeze or dry, and use in the winter for cooking a variety of dishes.
Characteristics of Eggplant VeraRead also these articles.
- What can be planted next to zucchini
- Incubation guinea fowl
- How to feed garlic in the spring?
- Honey Apitonus
Photo Eggplant Faith in the cut
Eggplant varieties Vera has its own special qualities that distinguish it from other varieties and hybrids.
- Early variety. Technical ripeness of the fruit is observed in August or early September.
- The variety is suitable for growing in greenhouses and in open ground.
- Productivity is average, but stable. Approximately 500-1000 g of fruits are obtained from a bush, and about 4 kg, respectively, depending on the density of plantings, per square meter.
- In adult plants have resistance to cooling.
- Commodity quality of 90-100%.
- Transportability is high.
Photo of growing seedlings in the greenhouse under the film
Sowing eggplant seeds Vera right in the open ground is possible only in the southern regions. But even there, gardeners often use precisely transplanted cultivation in order to get a harvest much earlier. Seeds for seedlings sown from late February until the first half of March. Sowing is carried out in tanks with a diameter of about 8 cm. Trenches are made, seeds are sown in them, covered with earth, sprinkled over with water from a spray bottle and covered with a film.Important! If the sowing of seeds is carried out directly on the garden, then it should be done in April or May, when a stable temperature is established, and the spring cold will pass.
Seeds will germinate in about 5-20 days, depending on conditions, soil, temperature, light. The type of seed is also important. If you buy them on the market (by weight), then the chance of friendly shoots is minimal, and if in the store, in tea bags, and even the manufacturer to pick a good one, then the shoots will appear earlier. After emergence of shoots the film is removed. Before planting in open ground, it should take about 2 months from the day the shoots appeared. During this time, the shoots will get stronger and will be resistant to weather changes, diseases.
Photo planting Eggplant Faith in the open ground
Planting EggplantWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Broiler ducks
- How to shear sheep
- Turkish carnation
- Growing onion batun
Planting eggplants Vera preferably in a fertile, light soil rich in organic matter. Therefore, even in the fall, the area set aside for culture is fertilized with manure, compost or humus. In spring, the bed can be re-dug, loosened and covered with polyethylene to warm the ground as quickly as possible. The place should be lit, protected from strong wind.
Planting seedlings in greenhouses or in open ground is carried out in May, when the earth warms up well to +14 degrees, and the threat of recurring frosts disappears. For sprouts make holes at a distance of 30-35 cm, between rows - 60-65 cm of free space.
Between the rows should be 60-65 cm of free space.
For the correct development of bushes need not only the correct fit or a good place. A significant role is played by the care throughout the entire growth.
- Watering eggplant Vera is carried out regularly, right under the root, so that the earthy ball does not dry out. To do this, use warm water, you can settle in the sun. Before flowering, watering is done about once a week at the rate of 12 liters of water per square of planting. After the beginning of flowering, watering is carried out every 3-4 days.
- Over the entire growing season, the bushes are fed 3-5 times. Fertilizers for eggplant Vera should include nitrogen, potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, boron and manganese. But depending on the time of feeding, the concentration of certain substances will be different. So, at the beginning of the growing season you need more nitrogen, and in the end - phosphorus and potassium.
Watering Eggplant Vera is held regular, right under the root.
- Tying up plants is not necessary, because they grow low, however, during fruiting eggplants can pull the twigs to the ground!
- Form a bush in 3-5 stems. Each plant usually leaves up to 10 ovaries so that the load is not very large.
- All appeared stepchildren (and there are quite a few of them) should be removed, just like the leaves growing below the first branch.
- Eggplant can hurt black leg and late blight. For the prevention of plants and the ground can be treated with special fungicides. But if the bush is still sick, you need to remove it from the garden as quickly as possible so that the disease does not start spreading to other plants.
- Pests rarely attack the Vera variety. Most often you can find the Colorado potato beetle on the leaves. It is worth using insecticides or simply by hand. Many gardeners plant marigolds or basil nearby, they scare away this pest with their smell.
Harvesting and storage
Photo harvest Eggplant Vera
Eggplants are harvested Vera immediately after they have matured. To delay with this business is not worth it. After overriding, they become too large, the skin may coarsen, and the taste is no longer so soft. Cut the eggplants together with the stem 4-5 cm long.
After collecting eggplants variety Vera put on storage. In a cool place they lie without loss of external or taste for up to 40 days. Ripened fruits are used to prepare a wide variety of culinary dishes.
Reviews of Eggplant Vera
Photos of eggplant rolls Vera
It cannot be said that the variety of eggplants Vera is liked by absolutely everyone. Because of the demands on top dressing, many refuse it, and the low yield does not allow it to be grown on an industrial scale, but mostly feedback on the variety is positive.
- Maria Zabotina: "Vera really likes the absence of bitterness. Before cooking, eggplants do not need to be soaked or go into other tricks to get bitter, and I have reduced the cooking time to a minimum in order to keep all the useful substances in the vegetable. For an amateur eggplant like me, this variety is a real gift. "
- Andrey Fadeev: "This is a small, one can say a compact plant has been grown for more than 3 years in greenhouses. Productivity is higher there than in the open field, and the crop can be obtained earlier. It’s true that you often have to fertilize the leaves, turn yellow, fade, or lean on the bush the ground. But after adding supplements, there were no problems. "
- Olga Shevchenko: "Harvest, eggplants of the Vera variety are small, but high-quality. I collect on average up to 5 fruits from each bush when grown in open ground. This is not very much, there are more fruitful species, but due to taste and undemanding for cultivation, I choose it is this variety. "