The turkey meat is useful, but expensive, so if possible, farmers breed turkeys. However, to get high-quality meat, it is necessary that the bird grows quickly and is healthy. This can be achieved only by feeding her high-quality food. The problem is that young farmers do not know what to feed this bird at all. What can and should not be given to turkeys at home will be described below in the article.
What to give turkeys?
The rate of nutrients in feed for turkeys
Turkeys in the diet is not picky, so they usually eat what they are given. And this is not at all as good as it seems, because for normal functioning, the proper functioning of all organs and systems, this bird needs certain substances.
- Vegetable protein should be about 70% of the diet. It is plentiful in peas, buckwheat, wheat and oats.
- Animal protein is up to 30% in bird feeding. His turkeys are made with meat bone, meat or fish meal.
- Fats allow you to better assimilate vitamins and make poultry tender. They are contained in abundance in nuts, acorns.
- Amino acids are available in soybean, sunflower cake and meal.
- Fiber normalizes digestion. A lot of it in the grass, fresh greens, vegetables, hay.
- Minerals and vitamins are in vegetables, fresh herbs, yeast, chalk, germinated grain. They are important for high egg production, good immunity and the rapid development of poultry.
Already from all this you can make a rough idea of what can be given to turkeys. Below will be described in more detail what products can eat a bird, and what are dangerous to it.
Feeding poults at homeRead also these articles.
- Flower Asiatic Lily
- The best varieties of peas
- How to grow apricot from the stone
- Gooseberry Disease
Feeding poults at home
Any living creature at the stage of growth and development should receive the full range of necessary substances. This also applies to poults. While they are small, their skeleton is formed, muscle mass develops, a considerable load is put on organs and systems, and if the food is wrong, the bird will grow weak, painful, if it survives.
Nutrition turkeys usually fractional. Food is given little by little, but often - on the first day every 3 hours, by the month the number of feed decreases to 3 times a day. But what exactly can be given to turkey poults?Important! Daily turkey poults have a very weak, not fully hardened beak, so food should be as soft as possible.
Immediately after birth, the chicks are given soft, dairy food: cottage cheese, reverse, sour milk. Be sure to add some quality starter feed (steamed) for poults with vitamins and minerals in the composition. Water is given only warm and changes every 3 hours.
From the second day of life, you can add chopped egg. Greens are poured into a separate feeder (dandelions, clover, nettle, alfalfa). From cereals can include barley and wheat (crushed). Be sure to give the young and shell, chalk, which are poured into a separate container in a highly crushed form. From the week they begin to introduce whole greens, not cut, gradually add vegetables, boiled potatoes.
In the month, the bird easily digests buckwheat, oats, legumes (peas, for example), while the grain can no longer be crushed, except a little, but the legumes are always jostling. Meal, cake become a mandatory additive. Vitamins and minerals, grown turkeys, get with greens, hay, needles, as well as meat and bone meal and fish meal, salt (in small quantities). If you have access to fresh nuts and acorns, you can add them to the mash.
With 2 months in the diet also include chopped corn, bran, germinated grain, a decoction of potato peel. From now on, the feeding of young stock is no different from the nutrition of adults.
How to feed adult turkeys?
How to feed adult turkeys
Adult turkeys eat almost everything: feed, greens, waste, wet mash, dry food, etc. But, if you choose the wrong food components, the turkeys may become obese or have health problems. Therefore, every breeder must surely know what can be given to turkeys.Important! Adult turkeys need to feed no more than 3 times a day! If the bird regularly walks outside, then it is possible to feed 2 times a day in summer, and in the winter, still 3 times.
Adult turkey food is given in the form of dry food or wet mash. Dry feed (feed, cereals with the addition of meat and bone meal or premix) usually give at night. They are slowly digested and the bird does not feel hunger until the morning. Wet mash are given in the morning and afternoon.
- Compound feed is desirable to give, regardless of where the bird is and why it is divorced. It is useful for poults, females, males and very nutritious. You can choose from a suitable price category, dilute with cereals, other types of food and then it will not be expensive. The main thing is not to neglect this kind of food - it is very important and always pays for itself.
- Grain and beans are bought separately, at home they interfere, you can buy mixtures for turkeys. For this bird will be useful: oats, barley, maize, peas, buckwheat, wheat. Cake, meal is also included.
- Greens are extremely important! They give simple grass, alfalfa, clover, nettles, dandelions and many other herbs, as long as they are not poisonous. In winter, needles, grass meal, silage, dry maple, birch, and linden brooms will not interfere.
- Products of animal origin: small fish, meat and bone meal, fish meal, slaughter waste, cottage cheese, sometimes reverse, eggs, buttermilk contribute to the rapid weight gain.
- Vegetables and root crops: carrots, fodder beets, turnips, pumpkin, cabbage leaves, boiled potatoes are ground before serving. They are usually crumbled and put in mash.
- Of course, turkeys need chalk and a shell for normal digestion. Sometimes they are simply poured into the mash, if the birds do not separate them peck.
- Premixes, vitamin supplements, it is desirable to include as needed. They are not cheap, but sometimes they are simply necessary!
Vitamins and minerals for turkeysWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Variety of cucumbers Gunnar F1
- Winter hardy varieties of peaches
- Broilers Cobb 500
- How to store cabbage in the cellar in winter
Vitamins and minerals for turkeys
Every breeder should know that turkeys can and cannot be given, but in addition, it is important not to neglect vitamin and mineral supplements, which are a valuable part of the poultry diet.
Mineral and vitamin supplements that feed turkeys perform special functions. They improve the growth of young individuals, increase survival, immunity, provide the right amount of vitamins and minerals. The latter has a positive effect on the taste of meat, egg production, the percentage of fertilized eggs.Interesting! Sometimes premixes are prescribed by veterinarians when inspecting turkeys. If individuals molt, do not look very nice, have poor immunity or something like that, premixes can correct the situation in many cases.
There are many types of premixes, they differ in manufacturer (Salvamiks, Vitamit, Purina, O.L.KAR, Dolfos, Farmaton, etc.), and in composition. Depending on the needs of the breeder and financial opportunities, you can choose one or another type.
Atypical products for turkeys
There are a number of atypical products, the benefits of which breeders often doubt. Before feeding them, you should know whether or not you can give them to turkeys.
- Potatoes contain a lot of starch, which has a positive effect on the weight of the bird. But, it is introduced into the diet gradually and preferably predominantly boiled. You can make a mash or make it as a treat from such an additive.
- Bread is rich in vitamins B1, B6, B12, as well as simple cereals, however, purchased bread is not always useful (for example, rye causes fermentation), and it is not known exactly from what it is made - what additives are there. Therefore, they give bread very rarely, adding to mash. You can first make it crackers, and then steamed and added to the mash.
- Zucchini and pumpkin are unusual foods, but they are useful for turkeys, because they are easily digested, quickly digested and contain many vitamins.
- You can also give cucumbers, but tomatoes are undesirable in the diet.
- Fruits and berries for turkeys are usually not suitable. Maybe some kind of bird and try them on the run, but as a daily feed, they are not suitable.
What should not be given to turkeys?
Photos of herbs that can not be fed turkeys
A number of products can not be given to turkeys, they are very harmful, they can lead to digestive problems, diseases and many other consequences. All that can not be given to turkeys, set out below in the list.
- Pork feed and one that is designed for cattle. They have a completely different ratio of products and additives that are useful for cows and pigs, and not for poultry. Such food can lead to diseases of the digestive system, liver and other ailments.
- Spoiled products covered with mold, which smell bad, contain larvae can not be given!
- Raw whole fish and raw meat should not be given to turkeys. Meat will be poorly digested in its pure form, and the fish contains small bones. If it is not crushed, the bird may choke or the larynx is injured.
- Salty foods and pepper, spicy for turkeys are contraindicated.
- Poisonous plants that can be caught in any garden or in the garden are also prohibited from giving.
Summer nutrition turkeys
Norms and ration of feeding turkeys per day, g
The warm season is a real joy for any poultry. The abundance of vitamins, heat, walks, greens allow you to fully recuperate after a cold winter, accumulate nutrients, increase immunity. Below is a list of what can and cannot be given to turkeys during the summer, as well as during the warm months of spring and autumn.
The whole warm period breeder can greatly save on feeding, if there is walking. Many reduce feeding to 2 times a day - in the morning they give mash bags wet, and for the night - dry cereals (mixed feed). During the day, the bird itself finds food on the run. Fresh grass, bugs and worms from the ground, waste from the garden, which can be thrown into the aviary - all as one big, tasty lunch.Interesting! In spring, summer and autumn you can prepare useful brooms from raznotravya or birch, poplar, linden, acacia branches for turkeys. Herbs are harvested, tied up and hung to dry. As they dry, they are transferred to a dry room, covered with gauze or hung over the ceiling, and in winter they are fed to turkeys.
The abundance of greenery, vegetables in the summer is good, but they can play against the birds. Such food can lead to indigestion, problems with the stomach, stools, and so on. To avoid this will help high-quality feed that is fed 1-2 times a day, as well as shell, limestone or chalk, which in powdered form spiked into the food.
Winter diet turkeys
In winter, turkeys are given almost the same products as in summer, but since there is no access to fresh greens, you need to be able to replace it with other products. The nutrition mode is supported three times, for individuals of producers, it is possible to support 4 single. In the morning and in the evening they feed dry food, in the afternoon - wet mash.Important! In winter, the bird needs more calories so that it has enough energy to warm up.
In the cold season, juicy food is extremely important. But where can I get it if there is no fresh green? In this case, this may include steamed hay, silage, germinated grain, boiled potatoes, carrots, beets, pumpkins. These products can be found in any period of the year or stock up on them in advance, in summer and autumn.
Vitamin supplements are an important part of the diet. In winter, the body of birds is under considerable stress, the immune system may not work well. Vitamin and mineral supplements will help reduce the risks. These include: pine needles, fresh vegetables (carrots, pumpkin), fish, meat and bone meal, premixes.