At a young age, calves can often get sick. In some cases, there are epidemics, in others - one-time illnesses. But in any case, illness calves cause damage to the economy. A sick animal may die, develop improperly, pathologies are possible in the future - all this is undesirable for people who breed cows and bulls to get meat and milk. The following describes the common diseases of calves and the method of their treatment.
Why are the calves sick?
On some farms, calf disease is rare, on others it is a normal process. Why is that? The fact is that the health of the calf is influenced by a lot of factors. If breeders miss even one moment in raising animals, problems can arise.
Photo of a healthy calf
- The nutrition of the pregnant female should be as balanced as possible. A cow in the position consumes a lot of nutrients, and if she does not receive them from the outside, she spends her own reserves, and this leads to depletion. The calf in the womb is not how to develop, there is not enough nutrition, so it can start to hurt before it is even born (pathologies develop, growth stops). A calf weighing 30 kg after birth has a 55% chance of getting sick, and one whose weight is 20 kg is a 98% chance!
- A newborn calf needs proper nutrition. If the milk is not enough, he starts to hurt - it is inevitable. Experienced breeders strictly regulate this process and supplement it as needed.
- Dirty rooms cause frequent illnesses. Calves need not only eat right, but also live clean, because bacteria, microbes, viruses, infections, fungi and other vermin that cause diseases live in the mud.
- Sanitary, veterinary standards can reduce the incidence, but the services of a doctor cost money, so they are often neglected. And in vain! If the umbilical cord is improperly treated, sepsis can begin, omphalophlebitis. An unvaccinated animal often suffers, not to mention helminthisation and treatment for fleas and other pests.
Signs and treatment of dangerous calf diseasesRead also these articles.
- Diseases and control of apple trees
- Description and characteristics of the incubator
- Cherry grafting on cherries
- Breeding rabbits
Dangerous diseases of calves, they are also infectious, should be either warned in advance or urgently treated. Their main cunning is in fast spreading. In a matter of days, the whole herd can become infected, not to mention the young!
- Cryptosporidiosis occurs when an infectious bacterium enters the animal’s stomach. Usually fatal. Symptoms appear on day 3: weakness, diarrhea, teeth grit, loss of appetite. Treat antibiotics.
- Colibacteriosis (Escherichiosis or white diarrhea) develops from the first days of life. Caused by a special type of E. coli. The body is quickly depleted and within 3-5 days the calf can die. Symptoms: light, liquid feces with blood, loss of appetite, increased body temperature. Treatment: individuals solder strong tea, castor oil, chamomile broth according to the recipe of the veterinarian, and a remedy such as Acidophilin helps.
Photo of coronavirus
- Coronavirus enteritis appears when a particular virus enters the body. Often it is sick weekly calves. Infection is transmitted through nursing items, food, bowls, water, etc. Mortality is up to 50%. Symptoms: bloating, diarrhea green, oral ulcers, weakness, depression. Treat sera prescribed by a veterinarian, but it is easier to prevent the disease by vaccination.
- It is difficult to treat pasteurellosis because it is difficult to diagnose. Usually calves die from it within 2-7 days. Symptoms: diarrhea, exhaustion, cough, swollen joints, hemorrhage in the trachea.
Non-contagious diseases of calves are observed, as a rule, against the background of poor diet, poor living conditions of young calves or pregnant cows. They are not contagious, but sometimes lead to the death of calves.
Photo of a calf with rickets
- Rickets appears if the body lacks vitamin D. The structure of the bone tissue changes, the joints are affected, the calf hurts to move, and even touch causes pain. Typical signs: refusal to eat, curvature of the skeleton, intestinal disorders, unusual behavior of the individual. Treat with UV light, including vitamin D, chalk, bone meal, salt in the amount prescribed by a veterinarian.
- White muscle disease develops in newborns due to failure of metabolic processes. There is a weakness, exhaustion on the background of refusal of food, shallow breathing, pallor of mucous membranes, dystrophy. Cure illness "Tocopherol", injections of "Trivitamin" and "Selenium".
Photo of white muscle disease in calves
- Umbilical hernia appears when the umbilical cord is overgrown. The disease is almost harmless and causes problems only if the hernia is infringed. Then there is a decrease in appetite, general weakness, lack of bowel movements, pain in the hernia area. If nothing is done, the disease develops into peritonitis and the calf dies. Treatment - surgery.
- Bezoar disease manifests itself as an inflammatory process in the abomasum. Develops in the suckling or weaning period. The reason is coarse food fibers, hairballs that remain in the abomasum and do not go out. If the lump completely clogs the intestines, the animal will die. Symptoms: dull coat, weakness, exhaustion, bloating. For the treatment of the calf give drugs to improve the bowels, minerals and vitamins.
- Tympania is a swelling of the scar. Appears because of poor-quality, coarse food or with a sharp transition to unusual food. Most often sick 2-month-old calves. Symptoms: bloating, loss of appetite, shortness of breath. Treatment: feeding vegetable oil in an amount of up to 150 g and fresh milk (0.5 l). The animal is also walking for 30 minutes in an open area, they massage the swollen area until the accumulated gas is completely out.
Bronchopneumonia calvesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Laura grape variety
- Breed Italian Geese
- Carpathian bee breed
- Why do not bloom violets
Bronchopneumonia is an inflammatory process in the bronchi and alveoli. Inflammation develops and spreads quickly and can lead to irreversible effects - necrosis of the lung tissue. The cause of the disease can be a dirty environment, stress, hypothermia, poor nutrition, dampness, congenital pathology.
Symptoms: lethargy, cough, nasal discharge, shortness of breath, loss of appetite, fever, diarrhea, pallor of mucous membranes.
Treatment is assumed to be complex. Veterinarians first establish the causes of illness of calves and prescribe medication. In addition, the breeder must provide the animal with proper conditions (spaciousness, cleanliness, good nutrition). Keep sick calves only warm, without drafts, damp.
Most often, the dispersion of calves occurs due to wounded weaning from the female. People call ailment diarrhea of newborns or enzymatic diarrhea. Mortality - 20%. Also, there is a disease with improper feeding, a sharp change in diet. It is easily transferred to other individuals, so the sick calves are immediately isolated.
Symptoms do not always appear immediately, so you need to be careful.
- Diarrhea is a major symptom.
- Loss of appetite.
- There may be weakness, rumbling in the stomach, spasm.
- The temperature usually drops.
- The nose is not wet, the body quickly dehydrated.
Treatment is always prescribed by a doctor. First you need to understand the cause, then find the most effective treatment option, but usually the treatment is complex. Diarrhea is stopped by drugs and a certain food, the water balance is regulated. Sometimes prescribed anti-inflammatory drugs. The animal is transferred to a clean room, regularly cleaned, give only warm, boiled water.
Photo calf with diarrhea and signs of severe dehydration
How to treat diarrhea in calves?
Diarrhea or gastroenteritis in young calves is observed very often. It manifests itself in acute indigestion and intestinal upset. The main cause of the problem is substandard food, milk, water. Many breeders initially do not pay much attention to the quality of the feed its type, but for calves it is very important. After birth, their stomachs are weak, even the usual food can react in different ways. If the food is spoiled, the result is quite obvious.
Often, the disease is observed when switching to a new feed, so experts recommend introducing any new food little by little.Important! Treatment of gastroenteritis can cause an imbalance in salt balance and dehydration in the calf, so it is drunk at least 5-6 times a day.
Clinical symptom is one - prolonged diarrhea. Treatment requires more than one day - depending on the stage of the disease.
- First, give slightly salted water (warm), replacing it with milk.
- On the second day, salted water is also made, but milk is given with salt water 1: 1.
- The next day, give 4 parts of milk and 1 serving of salty water.
As a binder calf give strong tea with salt (no more than 10% of the total liquid) and chicken yolks. Read more about the symptoms and methods of treatment of diarrhea in calves, read the link - //fermerok.info/chem-lechit-ponos-u-telyat
Folk remedies for calves
Often, when a disease is detected in calves, breeders immediately turn to traditional remedies. But there are a few nuances. To begin with, such treatment is usually effective in the early stages; moreover, not every calf will benefit from it (there may be elementary intolerance to the drug), and in addition, veterinarians consider them more auxiliary or prophylactic, but not curative.
Although there are cases when it is the folk remedies for the treatment of calves that are recommended first of all. For example, with non-communicable diseases, eye diseases, diarrhea, constipation and other intestinal problems. At the same time, viral, infectious diseases are almost impossible to cure by popular methods, and some non-communicable diseases that require surgical intervention, too.
The method of treatment and remedy depends on the disease. Depending on the disease, it is possible to give calves saline and herbal solutions, tinctures, yolks of chicken eggs, sunflower, castor oil, decoctions of medicinal herbs and other products. But it is desirable that the prescription and dosage of such popular treatment be determined by a veterinarian.
Photos of the medical examination of the calf for the prevention of diseases
Prevention of calves after birth
Prevention of diseases of calves not only reduces the risk of disease, but also improves the quality of life of individuals, and this in turn increases productivity. So, the prevention of calves - what is it?
- Balanced diet cows, bearing calves.
- Professional obstetric care is very important!
- After birth, you need to properly handle the umbilical cord, check all the reflexes of the calf.
- Proper feeding of individuals - the amount of milk and other food should be strictly regulated.
- Timely vaccination of a born calf against paratyphoid fever, salmonellosis, rhinotracheitis, colibacillosis and many other ailments.
- Keeping animals in clean rooms that they regularly clean and disinfect 1-2 times a year.
If preventive measures are followed and animals are monitored, then calf diseases can be easily prevented or cured in the early stages.