Fishmeal contains many nutrients, trace elements, vitamins, minerals, so it is used in agriculture very often. Fish meal is useful for land, garden and horticultural crops, and is also considered a nutritious feed for poultry, cattle, pigs and even domestic animals. How to use this product, and what is it all about?
What is fish meal made from?
Fish meal is a fodder product; it is made from soft tissues and bones of fish, as well as from waste obtained during the cutting and processing of sea products. It contains a huge amount of beneficial micronutrients and vitamins.
Many gardeners and breeders of animals, animals that use fish meal on the farm, it is very interesting from what kind of fish this product is made. So, companies use for the production of virtually any species of fish and even crustaceans. As a rule, local fish are used - this allows significant savings on the purchase of raw materials. But the best are: shad, anchovies, sardines, pollock, herring.
There are two methods of producing a product.
- The commercial method involves the manufacture of flour directly on ships. All fish raw materials of medium and low quality (battered, chopped, waste and something like that) are allowed to produce flour.
- Coastal flour is made, as the name implies, on coastal companies. In terms of efficiency, they are more profitable and produce more flour per day, and good companies buy only high-quality raw materials. But they also have opponents who believe that various chemicals and preservatives are added to such flour in order to keep the product longer.
During production, fish is boiled, pressed, dried, minced. At the same time drying can be steam or fiery. The second option is more profitable in terms of time and price, but it has one very important drawback - during the fire treatment, the fish loses a lot of nutrients. But drying with steam is more expensive, and takes longer, but the product is ultimately more beneficial. It is also worth noting that fish meal is of two types - fat (22%) and dry (10%).
The composition of fish mealRead also these articles.
- How to shear sheep
- Growing parsley from seeds
- Why are not the hens laying
- What is bee perga and its beneficial properties
It is thanks to the healthy composition of fish meal, it is so popular in agriculture. But what does it contain? Below is the approximate composition, as different companies use their additives and even the type of fish can affect the quality of the final product.
- The main element - protein 65%;
- Fat 12-15%;
- Ash 12-15%;
- Polyunsaturated acids 8%;
There are many vitamins (D, A, group B), minerals (phosphorus, calcium, iron), trace elements, macroelements, fatty acids, amino acids (methionine, lysine, tryptophan, threonine) in the product. In the finished flour no more than 10% water and 2% raw fiber.
Where is fish meal used?
Fish meal is very useful if it is of high quality and not spoiled. It is used:
- as a fertilizer (due to the abundance of phosphorus) for the earth and various crops (tomatoes, eggplants, potatoes, peppers);
- as a vitamin supplement for birds;
- for pigs;
- as a pet food;
- for cattle.
As you can see, fish meal is a fairly common product in agriculture. But in order to bring maximum benefit, you should pay attention to the manufacturer, type of production of the product and the packaging during the purchase of flour. It must be whole, with all the necessary information.
Fish meal as a fertilizer for the gardenWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Kishmish grape variety 342
- How to plant dill seeds
- The best varieties of spinach
- How to store onions in the winter
Fish meal as a fertilizer is in great demand. Depending on what it should be used for, the method and concentration may differ.
- To enrich the soil, after harvesting in the fall, the flour is simply scattered over the plot (100-150 g / m2), and then the earth is dug up.
- Apple trees, plums, pears are fed with fishmeal every 3 years. Up to 200 g of fertilizer is poured under a tree trunk and mixed with the ground (the top layer of soil is simply loosened), and then watering is carried out.
- Any berry bushes are fed with dry fertilizer. On a square of landings 100 g fish powder are taken. If the bush is transplanted or planted a new one, you can pour fertilizer into the hole for planting. One plant needs 50 g.
- When feeding a tomato in each well for planting seedlings put 30 g of flour on average.
- To fertilize potatoes, you just need to scatter the product on the ground, next to the bushes. Per square meter is taken up to 100 g.
- Flowers and bulbous plants are fertilized with fish meal only once - in the spring, using 50 g per square meter.
Fish meal as food for chickens
For chickens, fish meal is one of the most important sources of nutrients; therefore, it cannot be excluded from the diet of poultry. It is given to both adults and young individuals, as well as chicks.Important! Not only for chickens fish meal is a valuable feeding, but for any other poultry.
Fish meal as part of the laying ration of the layer - improves its metabolism, allows you to carry more eggs, increases their nutritional value and improves the taste. However, it is important to maintain a balance. Fish meal is only a small part of the daily diet. Per day one bird should consume no more than a teaspoon of the product!
Photos of packed fish meal
Fish meal for broilers
The reason why breeders always include fish meal in the broiler diet is a benefit. Yes, you have to spend money on the purchase of fish meal, but these costs fully pay for themselves, even if you buy high-quality flour.It is important! That the quality of meat does not suffer, 2 weeks before slaughter, the amount of bone meal in the broiler diet is reduced to a minimum (2 g / day or less). If this is not done, the meat will have a pronounced, unpleasant taste.
Consuming fish meal with food, broilers grow very quickly, they have a rapid build-up of muscle mass. The digestion process is normalized, the risk of obesity is reduced. It is also believed that the bird, which regularly ate this additive in small quantities, has softer, juicy and tasty meat than in chickens that do not consume it, or consume it, but not often.
Fish meal for chickens
If you regularly give fish meal to chicks, you can significantly improve their productive qualities and characteristics. What is it expressed in?
- Nestlings begin to grow and develop faster, which means that the reproductive age of the grown-up bird will come a little earlier.
- The immunity of the birds increases and, due to this, the survival rate of the young growth increases significantly.
- Chickens begin to gain muscle mass much faster and, as a result, reach the slaughter mass faster.
In order not to overfeed the chickens with such an additive, up to 2 g of flour mixed with feed to the head should be given per day.
Fish meal as animal feed
Not only chickens and other poultry are fed with fish meal, but also pigs, cows, and also pets.
- Pigs in the use of such additives grow faster and gain weight, the immune system is activated, females produce more offspring and milk for feeding, improves metabolism, meat and lard acquire a delicate taste. Adults pigs per day give 2-4% flour from the total mass of feed, and pigs - 5-15%.
- With the consumption of fish meal by cattle, it is possible to significantly increase the productivity of animals and improve their quality of life. Such an additive can significantly increase the birth rate, immunity of animals (and calves, including), accelerate growth and weight gain, females give more milk, and its taste becomes better, as well as meat taste in meat species. Animals that include fish meal in the diet, less sick, they are less likely to observe deviations. Give cattle flour throughout life. Adults - 1-3%, young animals - 3-7% by weight of the feed.
- For pets - dogs, cats, fish meal, as it turned out, is also useful, but it is given mainly to animals that eat simple food, and not purchased food. But this does not mean that pets that eat ready-made food do not eat fish meal at all. Usually it is added by manufacturers during the manufacture of feed. For dogs and cats, this vitamin supplement improves the quality of wool, strengthens bones and muscles, improves immunity.
Fish meal only benefits when fresh and high-quality, so you need to be able to store it properly, if such supplement is often used for animals, birds or just in the garden. Studies have shown that fishmeal deteriorates quickly with any type of storage.
- If the humidity is normal, and the temperature is about +20 degrees, in one month the amount of protein and crude protein will be reduced by 12%.
- If you store the product in sub-zero temperatures and normal humidity - the quality of flour will decrease, the amount of crude fat will decrease by 40%.
- At increased humidity, the amount of vitamins and minerals will decrease.
Minimal loss of quality can be achieved when stored in a dark room with a minus temperature and humidity below 10%.