From ancient times, strawberries for the winter were harvested only by drying or boiling jam. But in the first case, the berries lose their attractiveness, and in the second, a lot of sugar is required. Compotes are made from small amounts of sugar and a wide variety of fruits and berries. Strawberry compote is an excellent fortified drink for the winter. The best recipes for making strawberry compote can be found in this article.
What strawberry is suitable for compote?
A delicious, beautiful compote can only be obtained if you take good, high-quality products to make a drink. But what kind of strawberries are suitable for compote for the winter?
Photos of strawberry compote
- Large strawberries usually do not withstand heat treatment and quickly fall apart. In banks they look ugly. So it is better to use small or medium-sized berries. They do not fall apart even at high temperatures and look very aesthetically pleasing in conservation.
- It is best to use those varieties of strawberries, which have a uniform, saturated color both inside and outside. If the berries are light or only the skin is colored, and the flesh is almost white, then they will completely discolour in the jars. Such compote looks unattractive.
- Strawberries are easily wrinkled, so it is better to wash them under a light shower, and not under a direct, strong stream of water.
- During the preparation of compote strawberries subjected to various culinary procedures that can not stand soft berries. So it is very important that the strawberries for compote were dense, not soft.
- It is impossible to use spoiled, rotten or dirty berries for making compote for the winter. Also not recommended to take unripe or overripe fruit.
Recipe for delicious strawberry compote for the winterRead also these articles.
- Barley varieties
- Currant variety Bagheera
- How to plant dill seeds
- Variety of watermelon Crimson Sweet
Prepare strawberry compote for the winter is not difficult. But not always it turns out beautiful, with rich color. Sometimes the berries fall apart in the tank, which does not add aesthetics. So first you need to select the best, medium-sized berries, with a dense texture and only then take up the cooking.
Photo of canned strawberry compote
- Strawberry - 1.5 kg;
- Sugar - 500-700 g;
- Water - 1 liter.
- Berries are thoroughly washed, but to completely wash the dirt, you must first remove the tails. Only pretty, medium sized berries are suitable, with rich color and taste!
- Banks are washed out and filled with 1/3 berries.
- Sugar and water are combined in a separate container (enameled) and cooked over low heat. When the syrup boils, boil it for 5 minutes and turn off the fire.
- Now you need to pour the syrup into jars with berries.
- Jars put pasteurized. Time depends on the size of the tank. Thus, half-liter containers sterilize a quarter of an hour, liter - 20 minutes, and 3-liter - half an hour.
- After sterilization, compote is rolled, turned over and wrapped in a warm cloth for a day.
Strawberry compote recipe without sterilization
Many hostesses do preservation for the winter without sterilization. If everything is done correctly, there will be no problems with storage. But is it possible to make compotes without sterilization? Yes, compote without sterilization can be done, and the recipe for making this drink is quite simple.
Photo of strawberry compote for the winter
- Strawberry - 1.6 kg;
- Sugar - 2 tbsp .;
- Water - 4 liters.
- Strawberries are sifted out and washed thoroughly under a flowing shower. Rotten, flattened berries must be removed, preservation may deteriorate due to them! Sepals, straw, dirt is removed during the pick and wash. Clean berries put in a colander to glass excess water.
- Banks under seaming wash out with baking soda or laundry soap. Then they need to pour from the inside with boiling water.
- In a clean jar laid berries. They should cover the bottom with a thick layer. Lack of berries can lead to a sweet taste of compote.
- Boil water in a saucepan. As soon as it boils, it is poured into cans of strawberries. Then the containers with spilled water cover with lids (do not roll) and leave for a quarter of an hour. At the expiration of the time necessary to drain the water back into the pan from all the cans.
- The liquid from the tanks is put on the stove again, sugar is added and the syrup is boiled. After boiling it should boil for 2-3 minutes.
- The resulting syrup is again poured into the banks under the neck and immediately roll them up.
All strawberry compote without sterilization is ready! It remains only to turn the containers lids down and cover with a thick cloth so that they cool completely. Keep the compote is best in a cool, dark room.
Strawberry and Sweet Cherry Compote RecipeWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Kuban grape variety
- Flowers Pansies
- When to clean carrots and beets?
- Palma Hamedoreya (Chamaedorea)
Sweet cherries and strawberries in compote give an amazing taste - sweet, with pleasant freshness. This drink is saturated with vitamins and is popular not only with adults, but also with children. The recipe outlined below can be done on 3 liters or less - at will.
Photos of homemade strawberry and sweet cherry compote
- Strawberry - 3 kg;
- Sweet cherry (red varieties) - 3 kg;
- Sugar - 1.4 kg;
- Water - 3 liters.
- Strawberries for this recipe is taken dense, ripe, not overripe, preferably rich, red inside and outside. The berries are washed in the shower, sorted. In the compote should not be tails, grass, which could get to the berries during harvest.
- Sweet cherry also gets over, washed. It is better if it is dense, not soft, since worms may be present in soft berries, and they are not needed in compote. Stalks are removed from cherries, bones can be left.
- In banks lay the berries in layers 1/3. You can take a liter capacity, half-liter or three-liter, which is available, most importantly, before filling, wash them well with baking soda.
- In a separate saucepan, the syrup is made. Sugar and water interfere and boil until boiling. When the syrup boils for 3 minutes, you can turn off the fire.
- Pour ready, hot sugar syrup into filled cans, cover them with lids (do not roll them up) and set to sterilize for 6 minutes (for half-liter cans). If the banks are liter, they are sterilized for 15 minutes, and if the 3-liter ones - 30 minutes.
It remains to close the jars, turn the preservation lids to the bottom and cover with a warm kitchen towel until completely cooled.
Strawberry and mint compote recipe
Mint refreshes any drink, especially winter compote. For this recipe you can take a different mint - purchased or grown, of any kind. The main thing is that these should be whole leaflets, and not seeds or dry leaves. And if there is no mint, it can be replaced with melissa.
Photo of strawberry compote with mint
- Mint leaves
- Strawberry tails are removed, berries are sorted and washed thoroughly several times in the shower.
- Now you need to fill the clean jars for fruit compote for 1/3 berries and pour boiling water under the neck. 3-5 minutes bank should be so stand under the lid, and then the water is poured into a common container. Sugar is added to it and boiled to make a good syrup.
- In each jar stack 6-10 leaves of mint (they must be washed in advance from sand and dirt).
- When the syrup is prepared, it is poured into cans and well sealed. The containers are turned over and covered with something warm. The next day, you can carry them to the rest of the conservation.
Compote with apples and strawberries
An interesting taste comes from strawberries combined with apples. Therefore, a compote of them is quite common. It is suitable for both daily consumption and for the holiday table, so it is usually done in 3-liter cans.
Photo of apple and strawberry compote preparation
- Apples - 1.5 kg;
- Strawberry - 1.5 kg;
- Sugar - 700 g;
- Water - 1.5 liters.
- Apples are washed and cleaned. Remove the skin is not necessary, but get rid of the seeds does not hurt. Apples cut into slices and put in a separate bowl.
- The strawberries are removed tails, sorted and washed in the shower. This should be done carefully so that the berries do not choke. Then it is thrown back in a colander to glass the water.
- Banks are washed in advance, and when they dry out, fill them with strawberries at 1/3. The berries are poured boiling water and after 2-5 minutes the water is drained from the cans into the pan.
- Apple slices are thrown into the same saucepan and sugar is poured. Apples can be put a lot or a little (on taste), but usually 3-4 things on one three-liter jar. Now, under the pan, turn on the fire, and cook compote for about 10 minutes.
- Broth from the pot spreads on the banks with berries. It remains only to roll them up, turn them over and leave to cool for a day under something warm.
Apples for this recipe can take any. If they are sour, the compote will be sour, and if sweet, then you can put a little less sugar - not 700 g, but only 300-400 g.