The carrot variety The Queen of Autumn was bred about 10 years ago, but already fell in love with many summer residents. It ripens late and gives great yields of high quality. About the Queen of Autumn carrot and its qualitative characteristics will be discussed later in the article.
Description carrots Queen of autumn
The Queen of Autumn is a late carrot variety that ripens in about 115-130 days. Belongs to the Flaxse / Carotene variety. Power socket. The foliage is saturated green, of medium height, the section is shallow.
Fruits are cone-shaped with a rounded tip, smooth. The average length is 25-30 cm with a mass of 200-250 g. The color is orange-red. The flesh is medium density, juicy, sweet. The grade is universal, it can be used fresh, for frying, boiling, stewing, canning, freezing.
Characteristics of a varietyRead also these articles.
- The best varieties of lettuce
- Strawberry Queen Elizabeth
- Potato variety Zest
- Winter rye
About the quality and disadvantages of the Queen of Autumn variety can be found below from its characteristics.
- Productivity is high, stable. 3.9–9 kg of root crops are harvested from the square of the square, depending on care and soil.
- Root crops ripen together, but may have completely different sizes. Therefore, before storing or selling, they have to be sorted.
- Frost resistance to -5 degrees Celsius.
- There is no tendency to tsvetushnosti.
- Immunity to most fungal and infectious diseases.
- Taste is pleasant, saturated. Sugar content up to 11%! Carotene 100g approximately 10-17 mg.
- Long stored in rooms with moderate humidity.
Photo carrot Queen of autumn
When to plant the Queen of autumn?
Carrots The Queen of Autumn is usually planted at the end of April or at the beginning of May, depending on the region, the climate - the weather in general. Even with very early sowing, the variety ripens not earlier than mid-October, so do not rush in the spring, the main thing is to choose good seeds and prepare the soil properly. But you can make a belated harvest. To do this, carry the planting a month in advance from the date when the carrot was sown.
Planting carrotsWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How to plant carrots
- The best varieties of tomatoes for open ground
- Top dressing of winter wheat
- Winter apple varieties
Place for planting usually choose a flat, well lit on all sides, so that the sun's rays evenly warmed the soil. It is impossible to plant near trees or in lowlands, because there is a lot of moisture there. And although this variety is resistant to high humidity, it is also not recommended to test its quality, it can spoil the taste of carrots or lead to rotting of root vegetables.Interesting! Onions, potatoes, cucumbers and cabbage are considered to be the best predecessors for carrots.
The earth is selected light, fertile, friable. On heavy ground, it is almost impossible to get a big harvest of carrots - the root doesn’t have any way to grow. Therefore, if the land is inappropriate, clay, for example, it is recommended to dilute it with sand and fertilize it with humus (for a week) before sowing. In the sandy soil does not hurt to make a little peat, humus and clay earth.
The day before sowing, seeds are soaked in warm water. After the water has cooled down a little, they are wrapped in a piece of damp cloth and left until seeding. This allows the seeds to swell. Sowing is carried out by any method, which wants a gardener, but in any case, it is important to adhere to certain rules.
- Landing is watered before planting.
- Seeds are always sown in a row - it is convenient, practical.
- The distance between the rows is observed in 25-30 cm.
- Planting depth of 2-3 cm. If planted deeper, carrots will germinate for a long time.
- The seeds are simply sown or planted pasted on paper, sometimes they are mixed with sand or paste - in any case, some seeds will be sown thickly, so they will have to be pierced, but this will be discussed below.
Photo Carrot Seed Variety Autumn Queen
Cultivation and care
In the first month after sowing, the beds barely touch - they only water. Watering is done by sprinkling, but in such a way that the ground is not very washed away. During a drought, watering is needed every day, if there is no drought, it is possible every 2-3 days.
As soon as the shoots reach a height of 4 cm, they can be thinned for the first time. As mentioned above, regardless of the method of sowing, only in extremely rare cases, carrots do not need thinning. Therefore, they remove the weakest sprouts in places where they grow too much so that the underground part of the plant can develop normally, without being constrained in the area. Watering can now be reduced and carried out every 7-10 days.Important! Carrots The Queen of Autumn is tolerant to low temperatures and can be grown until the first cold.
The second thinning is necessary when the roots reach the thickness of the pencil. Check is easy - you need to pull one sprout, or just dig up the ground at the edge of the garden. If the carrot is still small, the earth will fall asleep and wait a few more days. When the carrot has already grown enough, the crops are thinned so that between root crops was not less than 5 cm of free space.
Feeding needed, but not frequent. Minerals are usually used. The first time feeding is carried out after the first thinning and using nitrogenous substances. The second time you need to feed the roots, when the period of active growth of green mass and the formation of the root. Potash fertilizers are applied at this time.Important! You can not feed carrots with fresh manure. It will lead to the bitter taste of the root and can attract carrot flies.
In order for the Queen of Autumn to not carrot and be affected by pests, the beds are regularly loosened and weeds are removed as they appear. If the problem could not be avoided, you can use insecticides and fungicides. Chemistry is used only at an early stage of growth!
A month before harvesting, watering is generally stopped. Gardeners note that the harvest of the Queen of Autumn can lie in a clean, cool room with moderate humidity until next summer!
Reviews of carrots Queen of autumn
Growing a variety of carrots The Queen of Autumn is not very difficult, and many summer residents speak about it.
- Antonina Drozd: “Every year I plant the Queen of Autumn variety. The seeds are inexpensive. The cultivation is simple. But most of all, the harvest lasts all winter, without spoiling at all! Even after a few months you can get a root crop and eat fresh, it does not lose any sweets nor juiciness! "
- Alexander Tanko: "Despite the fact that root crops grow in different sizes and sometimes forms, I have been growing this variety for sale for years. Buyers are delighted with it, always returning to buy more. Finding regular customers with such a high-quality product is not a problem!".
- Maxim Vorotyuk: “A good variety. It doesn’t fade, does not rot during storage. Root crops are always smooth and beautiful. Children love the Queen of Autumn carrot fresh because of sweets. In general, there are no complaints.”