Goats come in different directions. Depending on the needs, the breeder can get a dairy, wool, downy, meat or mixed breed and get the desired profit from growing it. The article will describe the best down goat breeds - their external features and productivity.
What is a feather goat?
The main difference of the down goat is the presence of a very soft down in large quantities. Their wool is represented in part by a coarse awn and undercoat (down), which is their main value. Due to the fact that the wool of such animals contains little grease, down comfortably combed down, falling into the downy fibers and the quality of the product obtained can be checked, so to speak, without departing from the goat.
Downy goats are bred like everyone else. But the most important period of cultivation is considered an annual haircut and itching. Combs fluff during the beginning of the molt, when it separates by itself. Usually this time falls on February, and then it is repeated after another 2 weeks. If you delay the procedure for a long time, you can lose a valuable product, as it quickly becomes clogged.
Photos of down goatsImportant! Pooh combed out with a special comb, which can be purchased at a specialty store, and put in a prepared, clean container!
The value of down depends on its quality and color. The best product is obtained during the first time. As for the color, white and gray are expensive, while other colors are less expensive.
Orenburg breedRead also these articles.
- How to care for turkeys
- Variety of strawberries Albion
- The best varieties of onions, how to grow and care
- Cabbage variety Sugar Loaf
Thanks to folk breeding, the Orenburg downy breed of goats was obtained. Individuals have a mighty camp, have a well-developed core. Goat's weight is 44-45 kg, goat - up to 80 kg. The color is predominantly dark, monotonous, only 2% of animals are colored.
- At the same time, up to 450 g of fluff is obtained from one animal. The amount of coarse wool, which is then clipped, reaches 350 g.
- The weight and quality of down depends primarily on how old the animal is. Up to 3-4 years, the volume of down increases, but after 7 years it decreases. You also need to know that in old individuals the down is not elastic and short. And the young - beautiful, not fragile, soft and long.
- Milkiness is high - 85-110 kg, while the fat content of milk is 3.9% (the first milk is 6.1% fat).
Photo of Orenburg down goatsInteresting! Downy goat breeds also provide tasty milk, young, wool and meat. But the greatest gains are nevertheless given to the down - all care is concentrated on its quality and quantity - the rest of the productivity is secondary.
- Fecundity - 135 calves per 100 goats. Often there are twins, triplets and even fours! Multiple fertility is hereditary. However, the more cubs, the higher the chance of complications during childbirth.
- Kids are quick-growing, at 4 months they have a mass of 45% of the weight of an adult animal.
- The meat is very tasty, the amount of meat from the carcass - 40-45%.
Pridonskaya down goat
Pridonsky goats are popular for breeding in populated areas near the River Don. These are big animals with a massive constitution, proportional forms. Adapted to arid climatic zones. Males weigh in the range of 70 kg, females - 35-40 kg. Body shape is rounded. The back is even, with goats wider than with goats. Wool and fluff abundant, thick, there is an elongated beard. The horns are large. The suit is usually black, but animals come across and other colors.
- They get a lot of fluff, for which they are valued - their abilities are up to 32%, and fluff from 68%! The only nuance is strong fluctuations in the mass of down. In other words, on average 500 g of fluff is combed from females, but if you take real numbers, then it can be 330 g from one goat, and from the other - 1430 g. year
- The condition and weight of down depend on age, feeding, content. The greatest pile falls to 4-6 years of life.
Stock Foto Pridonskoy goat breedImportant! The quality of down received from individuals depends on various factors, including the method of cultivation. So the downy breeds of goats need to be grown by all the rules, otherwise the profit will begin to fall.
- It is also extremely important to take into account the season, because, depending on the season, the wool and down of the breed changes. In the autumn-winter months, the down is very beautiful, soft, thick, and from March to April there is a molt. In the summer, goats have short, coarse hair.
- Milkiness is high during the lactation period from female do 130-140 kg. Milk fat content is 4.6% on average, fluctuations from 3.3% to 8.2%.
- Meat productivity is not high. Slaughter meat yield not more than 60%. Animals are allowed to be slaughtered or when they are small - 7-10 months, or already adults.
- It is impossible to call pridon goats early. They grow at a steady pace. At birth, they weigh up to 2 kg, in 1.5 years - 27 kg, in 2.5 years - 30 kg.
- High fecundity of 100 females receive 145-150 kids.
Mountain-Altai goat breedWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Watermelon variety Astrakhan
- Autoclave Belarus Lux
- Variety Pears Just Maria
- Compote from plums
Received in 1962 in Altai on the basis of the Don goat. Downy breeds of goats of this type are monotonous in their external qualities. The constitution is always stately. The mass of an adult female is 40-42 kg, the male - 64 kg. Gaining weight quickly, already in 1.5 years the goat reaches 30 kg, and the goat - 36 kg on average.
Individuals are adapted to year-round breeding on mountain pastures, but if you grow them in the northern regions, you need a warm stall for the winter. These are strong, healthy animals, fertile, transfer their genetic features to offspring.
- If you take indicators of wool, then it is 60-80% just of fluff! Up to 600 g of pure fluff is combed from the individual.
- The state of the fluff is good, the length is 8-9 cm. It is elastic, soft, not torn.
Stock Foto Mountain-Altai goat breedInteresting! Of the down of the mountain-Altai goat do a variety of things. Its main quality is that it shines a little, while the down of most other breeds is dull.
- Early maturity, a significant mass of individuals. The slaughter weight of carcass is about 52% in males and 46% in females. The total yield of meat without bones to the mass of carcass is 75% on average.
- The fertility is affected by weather, climate, place of detention. For example, on semi-desert pastures very often 2 goats are born at a time.
Black down goat
The black breed of the down goat was obtained quite by accident, when there was work on the creation of the Soviet wool goat. Local goats and goats of the Angora white species, brought from North America, participated in the breeding. Most of the crossbred offspring turned out to be black. These animals were separated and began to improve the appearance as a separate one.
Black goats are quite large. The backbone is developed medium. The horns are not very thick, of medium size. Goats are usually larger than females. Wool is heterogeneous - consists of a shiny, not soft, short awn and thin, dull fluff. Growing wool and fluff everywhere, except for the muzzle and legs. The down is distinguished by the fact that it is usually longer than the awn or almost the same. The color of wool and down is different in individuals of different ages. Only born black kids, in 1-2 months a good grayish down grows (it can be light and even brownish) and a black awn.
Stock Foto Black down goat
- After the chesky, up to 440 g of down from an individual is obtained. The amount of product obtained depends on when the animal was combed. Shedding is very abundant and fast, so if you delay with the procedure, you can lose up to 40% of fluff!
- Pooh quality, the kids are very thin, and in adults thicker. The length of the fluff in goats is 8–9 cm, in males up to 10 cm.
- Black down goats also get quality skin after slaughter. It is not thick, strong and elastic - the perfect chevro (soft leather chrome tanned).
Volgograd downy goats
The Volgograd Down Goat was bred in the Chernyshkovskiy District by crossing Angora and Podonian individuals. Their coat is very good, and they are unpretentious in growing. The live weight of a goat is 38 kg, a goat is 61 kg. Wool is white, soft.
Photo of Volgograd down goat
- Wool breed for 85-90% consists of down. With females combed up to 920 g of fluff at a time, and from the male - 1250-1300 g.
- The down is very high quality, many other downy breeds of goats, such as 11–12 cm long, have this type.
- Milkiness is not bad. During the lactation period, you can milk up to 110 kg of milk for sale.
- The fecundity of about 125 kids per 100 females.
Kyrgyz feather goats
Bred around 1950 in Kyrgyzstan. Animals with a strong constitution, large. Build correct. The head is small with drooping ears and developed horns. The weight of males 65 kg on average - females 40 kg. Wool is thick, elastic, leveled.
Stock Foto Kyrgyz Down Goats
- The down content in wool is up to 75%. A fleeing from a goat is about 500 g, and from a goat to 700 g.
- Hair cut about 300 g
- Meat productivity is average. The meat is tasty, but after slaughter it is not much. Slaughter yield up to 43%.
- Milkiness is high. With females get for lactation up to 150 kg of milk, suitable for sale.
- The performance of 100 females - 120-150 kids.
Downy goat breeds are not uncommon, but not all of them are popular with breeders - it all depends on how the business is built, what secondary product is needed for marketing, where animals will be bred, and how they will be kept. Therefore, before buying, it is worth exploring all the options, and choose the most optimal.