Garlic is considered unpretentious culture. And yet, he, like any other plant needs food. If you do not observe crop rotation, plant garlic at the wrong time, and even not adhere to the norms of care, you cannot count on a big crop. Top dressing is needed for winter garlic since spring. How to feed garlic in the spring and when to carry out the procedure will be described later in the article.
Why garlic supplement?
In order for garlic to grow and develop actively in spring, it needs a stimulant. Than to feed garlic in the spring planted under the winter depends on many factors. For a start, this may be a reinforcing dressing, a health improvement, etc. Depending on the purpose for which the fertilizer is applied, one must choose one or another means.Interesting! Scientifically proven that young green garlic is much more useful and nutritious than ripe cloves.
Do not forget that a well-groomed culture develops faster and better - this is the golden rule of the summer resident. If you need to get an early harvest of garlic, you can not skimp on feeding, but it is not recommended to overdo it! If there is too much fertilizer, the consequences can be dire. Improper feeding is the cause of ugly or yellow greenery, decay, ugliness, reduction of the head, damage to the taste of garlic and many other negative points.
Photos of winter garlic
When to spend spring feeding?Read also these articles.
- The best greasy pigs
- Primula perennial garden
- Blagovarskaya breed ducks (cross)
- How to plant melon seedlings
Before you go to the question of how to feed the garlic in the spring, you must first determine exactly when to apply the spring fertilizer! Winter garlic is usually fed only three times, if there are no problems with growth or diseases, lack of nutrients, as will be discussed below.
- The first dressing is needed immediately after the snow melted. In different regions and in different years, this time may occur in March, April, or even May, so they look solely for the weather, not for numbers!
- The second is held in about 2 weeks.
- The third fertilization is necessary in mid-late June. At this time, the head is formed, so skipping this time is not desirable. It also cannot be transferred to spring, because it is in June that the head is formed. If you carry out top dressing earlier, all the nutrients will go to the development of greenery, not turnips.
How to feed the garlic planted in the winter?
In the spring, the green part of the crop develops mostly. In order for the plant to grow, it needs nitrogen, so nitrogen fertilizers are preferred in the spring. It does not hurt in small doses to make potassium and phosphorus for the vegetative process.
You can make both organic and mineral fertilizers, the main thing is to know what and when! For example, organic matter is popular in the fall, before planting winter garlic. Here you can use humus for digging or compost from vegetable waste. In the spring, in order to fertilize young garlic, you can make a solution from a part of the mullein and 7 parts of water. Also from popular remedies are popular:
- 3 tablespoons of salt per 10 liters of water - used for watering after melting snow;
- 25 ml of ammonia diluted with water in a bucket of water - this solution is sprayed with the tops that have appeared;
- 200 g of ash in a bucket of water - the beds are irrigated during the first or second dressing. In addition to the solution, you can simply sprinkle the beds with ashes, during watering it will penetrate into the soil.
Mineral fertilizers can be used alone or in combination with organic. Do not forget that, depending on the degree of fertilization of the soil on the site, the amount of fertilizer consumed can be very different! The article presents the average application rate of fertilizing - in some cases they may vary.
- "Nitrophoska" is used in a solution of 2 tbsp. spoons on a bucket of water.
- A tablespoon of "Urea" is also diluted into a bucket of water.
- "Nitroammofosk" - 60 g of substance per 10 liters of water.
The three minerals described above have an abundance of nitrogen in their composition - they will be relevant during the first or second, spring feeding. You can also use "Superphosphate" (50-60 g / bucket of water), but only during the second or third feeding, because for the first there is not enough nitrogen.
Photo complex fertilizers Nitrofoska, Urea (urea), NitroammofoskaInteresting! For garlic, an undesirable neighbor in a garden can only be beans or peas.
In addition to routine supplements, additional supplements are sometimes necessary if the plant requires it. As a rule, it can be seen in green mass.
- Slow development of greens is easy to notice. When the neighbors in the beds already have a “green forest”, and on their own there is hardly a pair of feathers in each onion, something needs to be done about it. Top dressing is prepared from urea (a tablespoon into a bucket of water) or mullein (a glass of substance into a bucket of water). If there is neither one nor the other, you can use bird droppings, but low concentration - a tablespoon per bucket of water - no more!
- If the plants dry up, they are fed with ammonium nitrate according to the recipe indicated on the package.
- To lighten unnaturally dark feathers, it is recommended to use any mineral, potash fertilizer or just sprinkle the beds with wood ash before watering.
- If the greens turn yellow, then most likely the reason is in an acidic environment (earth). This can ruin the crop, so action is taken immediately. In this case, you need to buy crushed limestone or dolomite flour and bring into the ground, and then carefully loosen the beds.
On sale you can find complex mineral fertilizers for onions and garlic of such brands as: Gera, Fasco, Agricola, Agros. These fertilizers contain all the necessary components for spring dressing of garlic.
Photo of fertilizer for garlic planted before winter
What kind of fertilizer can harm garlic?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Description cucumber varieties Adam F1
- When to plant tomatoes for seedlings in 2019
- The best varieties of gooseberry
- How to get rid of the wireworm?
Knowing how to feed the garlic in the spring, planted before winter can increase the yield and improve the taste of the head and the green part of the plant. But not all fertilizers are beneficial to garlic specifically at this time and in general. Therefore, it does not hurt to figure out how to feed garlic in the spring is impossible!
- Garlic responds well to organics during planting, but does not tolerate manure. If such a fertilizer is used, it is only in a very weak concentration during the ripening of the crop or long before planting it - to enrich the soil. It is important that before planting the tine manure manages to fade into the ground.
- If humus is used in disproportionate amounts - both before and when the question arises of how to feed garlic in spring, planted before winter, this can literally lead to the destruction of the crop. The abundance of humus leads to rotting of cloves and the garlic head that has already begun to form in the ground!
- Nitrogen substances are relevant only during the first and second scheduled dressings - so that the plant grows greens. But in the summer they are not recommended to be used, otherwise the head will be small or underdeveloped.
If you follow the mode of fertilization and the norms of fertilizing, you can collect a rich, healthy and ready-to-store crop of garlic, with high taste indices.