The variety of currants from Bagira was obtained at the All-Union Research Institute of Scientific and Technical Information named after I. Michurin. To create a new species were taken varieties Bredtorp and Minay Shmyrev. The popularity of currants Bagheera received very quickly, thanks to its quality characteristics. It is suitable for cultivation in different regions: the Ural, West Siberian, East Siberian, Middle Volga and any other areas with similar climatic conditions.
Description of the variety currants Bagheera
Variety of black currants Bagheera photo
The self-fruiting currant of Bagheera has a medium maturity. Berries can begin to collect in the second decade of July. Bushes of medium height, pagons are not too bent to the sides, so that the plant looks compact. Shoots of medium length, straight. Young twigs are light green, and old, lignified, yellow-brown. Kidney ovoid, pointed, golden brown.Interesting! Currant is found on all continents except Antarctica and Australia. More than 150 species of this culture grow in the wild.
Leaves are five-lobed, medium size, green. The surface is matte, leathery with a wavy edge. The teeth on the edge are pointed, short, with a white tip. Petioles not very thin and not long, slightly pubescent. The flowers are medium in size, sepals green-purple, arcuate bent. Brushes up to 8 cm, medium density, conical shape. Berries up to 1.5 g on average, round shape, black. The flesh, tender, juicy, does not contain a lot of seeds of oblong shape. The taste is sweet-sour, 4.5 points out of 5 possible. Chemical composition: sugar up to 12.1%, titratable acidity up to 3.6%, solids within 20.7%, ascorbic acid in 100 g - 191.5 mg.
Characteristics of BagheeraRead also these articles.
- Black spunbond
- Watermelon without stones - the best varieties with a description
- Grape Variety Buffet
- Grape variety Augustine
In order to understand why the currant of Bagheera has so many fans among gardeners, it is necessary to study its characteristics in detail.
Currant variety Bagheera photo
- Variety of universal application. The berries are delicious fresh, in desserts, canned.
- Commercial quality berries, they are always in demand.
- Transportability is normal. If the berries in time to collect and properly folded for transportation, then even a long move, they will survive without damage.
- Currants Bagheera winter-hardy, endures frosts to -32 degrees Celsius.
- Not afraid of heat and drought.
- Easily tolerates weather changes: sudden changes in temperature, humidity.
- There is a relative resistance to powdery mildew, kidney mite.
- Skoroplodnost, already in the first or maximum the second year after planting, bushes give large, full-fledged crops.
- The average yield is 12 t / ha, from a bush it is about 3.6-4.5 kg.
Among the shortcomings it should be noted that not in all regions the plant shows resistance to powdery mildew. Often this disease becomes a real problem for gardeners. And in the most neglected cases, the bush must be excavated.
Growing currants Bagheera
Saplings and bush of black currant of a photo
Put Bagheera currant on the areas with a slight darkening so that the leaves do not burn under the sun during the daytime. Land fit any, most importantly, to neutral in acidity. A pit for planting is digging 50x50x50 cm. Planting ground is prepared from simple garden soil (2 buckets), humus (1 bucket), superphosphate (300 g), potassium sulfate (50 g), and wood ash (shovel). This mixture is well mixed so that it is homogeneous. In the pit, a slide is made, a sapling is placed on it and is held with one hand. The second hand pit is poured earth on all sides.It is important! To carry out planting currants, like any other shrub or tree, it is more convenient together. Thus, one person will be able to keep a sapling, and the second to carry out all the necessary work.
After planting, it is necessary to water the bush and, if desired, to mulch the root zone (optional procedure). Now it remains only to cut pagon for 2-3 buds and leave to take root. And now about the care of currants Bagheera.
- In the spring, it is advisable to start spraying the bushes with complex insecticides and fungicides, without waiting for the diseases and pests to appear on the plant. Total for the season you need about 2-3 sprays. If diseases and pests did not appear earlier, you can use simple folk remedies (decoctions, infusions) instead of specialized drugs.
- Top dressing is desirable during flowering and after fruiting. Here phosphorus, potassium, and also some other substances are important - you can buy a complex fertilizer. In the spring you can make a little nitrogen substances, they do not interfere, but many gardeners successfully do without them.
Care of the bush and watering photos
- Watering is carried out not very often - you can not pour the plant. But when the soil dries to 5-7 cm deep into the ground, then you need to make 1-2 buckets of water for each bush.
- Sometimes the land under a bush is loosened to provide oxygen access to the root system. If the ground under a bush is mulched for the summer, then weed and dig it up (shallow), only in early spring and autumn.
- All sprouted weeds are uprooted. If the culture does not give in, you can pry it with hoes. It is extremely important not to leave a root in the ground, because after a maximum of a week, a new weed will grow in the same place.
- If breeding is necessary, layering is used. Young bushes get acclimatized very quickly, the main thing is that they, like the mother plant, be healthy.
- The leaves of this variety fall in late autumn, but as soon as this has happened, it is necessary to collect them in a pile with a rake, take it out to the ground and burn it, so as not to provoke the development of diseases and pests. After all, it is in the fallen leaves that dangerous pests often winter and fungal diseases are formed.
Harvesting and storageWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Tomato Bull Heart
- Masking of tomatoes in the greenhouse
- Chinese Silk Chicken - Breed Characteristics
- Characteristics and content of pigs Mangal breed
Big harvest currants Bagira gives the second year after planting. Flowering occurs in May, and the first berries ripen by the second decade of July - in early August. Fruiting friendly. During the collection of berries easily separated, do not burst. They are stored for a long time, maintaining their external and taste qualities. Store the harvested crop preferably in a cool, dry place. A refrigerator will also do, then the berries are folded in a plastic bag. Dry berries that have been deposited on time retain their commercial quality for up to 2 months, sometimes longer. Berries of Bagheera can be consumed fresh, dried, frozen, used for cooking various dishes, juice, preservation.
Reviews currants gardeners Bagheera
Blackcurrant jam and jam jelly photo
Gardeners and gardeners rarely complain about the currant variety Bagheera. Usually it is called more than profitable in terms of growing.
- Edward Vyacheslavovich: “Big berries, decent yields, high transportable qualities - for me this is the best variety, since I grow it for sale. Buyers no less than gardeners love currants like Bagheera - it is ideal for any kind of harvesting.”
- Lyudmila Kalezhniuk: “The minus of the variety is that it needs regular processing from the kidney mite, and some diseases, but on the whole the currants are not bad. The yields are regular, enough for the needs of the family.”
- Mikhail Shaplyko: "I love working in the garden. Therefore, Bagir’s currant never caused any problems. I spend all the treatments, watering, weeding on time, and mulch for the summer. As a result, the bushes are healthy, they bear fruit every year."