The Indian runner is a breed of domestic ducks that has unique external qualities, which makes it stand out among other species. Comes from Southeast Asia. The bird has high productive qualities and is unpretentious in terms of care. Details about its features, quality and care can be found below in the article.
The history of the breed
Photo of duck indian runner
Indian runners were bred about 2,000 years ago in India, whence the name came. Since those times, the breed has spread throughout the countries of Southeast Asia, and over the past few decades has become popular in America, Europe and Australia.
For a long time it was believed that the breed was bred in England, but in fact it is not. She was brought to England as she had been known for a long time in India, China and other countries of Southeast Asia, but one cannot but agree that she has undergone considerable changes in this country. For many years, English breeders have been working to improve and modify the Indian runner. The breed was widely used in the creation of new species of domestic ducks. Currently, they are popular in small farms.
Breed description Indian runnerRead also these articles.
- Honey extractor - what is it, species
- The benefits and harm of cherries for humans
- Radish pests
- The best white grapes
The first description of the ancestors of the modern breed, which were known as "penguin ducks" or "penguins" is found in the works of Charles Darwin. In his writings, they are referred to as one of the 4 most common breeds of ducks in the second half of the XIX century. Indian runners have a very bright appearance - they are hard not to notice or not recognize.
Duck Torso The Indian runner is highly positioned and placed more vertically rather than horizontally, as in the case of simple ducks. When walking, they raise their bodies high, stretch their necks, as if they want to see something in the distance.
The beak is short in comparison with other breeds of ducks, but stands out, given the small, thin head. The bird looks extremely slim, beautiful, aesthetic. The wings are tightly pressed to the body. The legs are medium in size and can also have a different color - gray, black, orange. The tail is short, consists of 18 feathers, bent upwards. Hocks elongated. Colors are varied.
Duck eggs indian runner
A duck's performance can convey both its strengths and weaknesses.
- Indian runner - egg breed ducks. For the first year, one female lays 200-280 high quality eggs. But from the second season, egg production is reduced to 140-170 units / year.
- The bird's egg weighs about 80 grams.
- Reproductive age starts at 5-6 months.
- The average weight of an adult female is 1.5-2 kg. Drake more, but not much. The meat of such a bird is incredibly tasty, considered dietary and highly valued in Asia and Europe.
- The ducklings are ripening. From the moment of birth, they quickly grow, actively develop, gaining muscle mass. At the age of 2 weeks, their body weight reaches 1-1.5 kg with the right diet, and in a month it reaches the weight of an adult bird.
Content FeaturesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Vladimirskaya cherry
- Planting spring grapes seedlings and cuttings
- How to treat diarrhea in calves
- Cucumbers Herman F1 - description of the variety and cultivation
In terms of care, this bird is unpretentious.
- For most of the year, while it is warm, it is recommended that the Indian runner be kept free-range. For poultry it is useful, and for the breeder is not time consuming.
- For the winter should be equipped with a warm house where the bird can warm up. On the warmest days, it can be let out into the street, they endure small frosts with ease, but during severe frosts you should not risk the health of birds.
Duck content Indian runner
- Utyatnik should be convenient in terms of size, arrangement, location. It is necessary to make sure that the birds have enough space and that there are perches for the females.
- Duck breed pond The Indian runner is not required, although it does not hurt. What kind of duck does not want to live by the reservoir? But the breeders note that with and without a reservoir, bird productivity does not change. As a rule, if there is no reservoir, it is replaced with a simple bird bath, because Indian ducks love to swim and clean their feathers in water. It can be a low basin with water, a bath, a small artificial reservoir dug in the garden.
- At least once a year you should sanitize the room and show the birds to the veterinarian.
In relation to other poultry, the Indian runner behaves quite calmly, so you can not be afraid to settle different species in one poultry house. This is a quiet breed, however, a little shy, so sudden movements, noise can easily frighten the representative of the species.
How and what to feed the ducks?
Food for duck breed Indian runner
Feeding representatives of the breed Indian runner is similar to feeding the usual duck, but there are some peculiarities.
- The breed has a good appetite, so it’s not worth limiting them in food. Choosing a typical for ducks, balanced nutrition.
- To get really delicious meat, you need to make part of the diet was feed.
- In the morning they usually give mash of greens, vegetables, root crops, various additives like bone meal, vitamins and other things.
- On a free-range duck itself finds food: insects, snails, plants.
- For the evening cereals are usually given. They have increased nutritional value, so the birds do not get hungry overnight.
- In winter, the bird does not have the opportunity to find greenery for itself, therefore the diet is enriched with silage, germinated grain, purchased insects, as well as vitamin supplements.
Breeding Indian runner
Chicken and ducklings
Females of the breed Indian runner are excellent chickens. Due to this, it is possible not to purchase an incubator if a small farm is being kept, but to lay eggs under the hen and wait until they hatch naturally. This allows you to significantly save time for breeding and reduce household chores, because the female takes care of herself and the eggs, the breeder only needs regular feeding, changing drinking water and maintaining cleanliness in the chicken.
Reproductive age starts at 5-6 months. At this time, the females begin to lay eggs, and if a fertile male is placed on them, then the testicles will be fertilized. On one drake taken 5 females.Interesting! Individual indian runner can mate even at sub-zero temperatures - in winter, which is rare not only for domestic but also for wild birds.
Females usually look after young ducklings, but the breeder should take care of the ducklings' diet. When young animals appear, it is necessary to feed them correctly, so that there are no problems with development. In the first days give yolks, then proteins, and then chopped greens, crushed grain and other products. Vegetables are first fed boiled potatoes, then grated carrots, etc. They begin to give the feed from the 4th day of life, but only soaked.
Reviews of duck breeds Indian runner
Goose and ducks
Indian runner has a lot of fans among professional breeders of poultry. Although there are those who do not see anything in the breed.
Alexey Evgenevich: “I started an Indian runner last year. At first they didn’t eat anything and it scared them great - I thought that something was wrong with them. But then they got used to new conditions, settled down, started to eat like usual ones. I keep a free run, rush regularly ".
Olga Korobko: "A few years ago, the breed was breeding an Indian runner and very successfully. Their meat is really very tasty, but to get enough of it, you need to feed animal feed, but this is not a cheap exercise. But there were so many eggs that I didn’t know where to put them. In general, the breed is not bad, if there is a disposition to breeding it. Personally, I prefer simple ducks. "
Evgeny Dar: “I love this breed very much. The birds are really amazing, only you need to breed them properly. If you don’t look after them, don’t care, they quickly get smeared, have a completely untidy look. I look at my both. I sell them with meat and young. "