Growing crops in greenhouses and greenhouses is gaining popularity. The method is really very effective - the yield increases, the quality of fruits improves, and the period of their ripening is reduced. Butterfly greenhouse is not pleasant to all gardeners, but there are positive reviews about it. About the design itself, its features, quality and method of manufacturing with your own hands can be read below in the article.
The design and its features
Greenhouses are much more convenient than greenhouses, as they are compact and mobile, especially in a small area. And in terms of the initial cost and further maintenance, a greenhouse costs much less than a full-fledged greenhouse.Important! Butterfly Greenhouse is suitable for the cultivation of melons, seedlings or flowers throughout the year.
Greenhouse Butterfly looks like a greenhouse made of polycarbonate with a rounded roof, if you take the purchased one. Two opposite sides are equipped with hinged frames that open out like butterfly wings, hence the name. When buying, you may notice that the Butterfly greenhouse comes in different sizes, configurations, and the material used may also differ.
This design, despite the relative lightness, has strength - withstands strong gusts of wind, snowfalls, rains. In addition, it has good ventilation, but there is no draft inside when it is closed - the internal heat is well preserved.
The pros and cons of a butterfly greenhouseRead also these articles.
- Zucchini variety Aral F1
- White Swan Peach
- Potato variety Breeze
- Growing Brussels Sprouts
Opinions gardeners on the Butterfly greenhouse are very different. Some emit only its positive qualities, others negative. Below are the advantages that most users agree with, as well as those that are in doubt, although they are claimed by the manufacturers as advantages. In addition, the negative aspects of the structure that will be encountered during regular operation will be highlighted.
The merits of a greenhouse butterfly in convenience
It’s probably worth starting with clear advantages.
- Rational use of space - compact size. This greenhouse takes up minimal space on the site.
- Mobility. Most often, such a greenhouse is installed permanently, but if desired, it can be transferred, a lot of time and effort is not required. The big plus is that such a greenhouse does not require the installation of a foundation.
- Due to the fact that the "wings" of the structure are quite low and almost completely open the sides of the greenhouse, the plants inside are easy to maintain and care for them.
- Convenience. The butterfly is very easy to use. The design is often divided into compartments that allow planting a variety of cultures. Since the greenhouse is small, planting and maintenance are carried out outside, it is rather difficult to go inside, and is it necessary, if it is already comfortable?
- Reliability. The design, as a rule, is durable, withstands winds of 20 m / s and a snow layer pressure of up to 10 cm.
- The greenhouse warms up quickly and keeps the heat well inside. If you open the doors, you can provide excellent air exchange.
- Convenience of operation. There is no doubt the fact that the greenhouse is convenient in terms of plant maintenance. But as for the “wings,” there are a lot of doubts. Often the construction fail, and the mechanisms break at the most inopportune moment. Many gardeners complain that the "wings" fell, broke, did not open properly, especially in the case of large greenhouses.
- Manufacturers of such structures declare that it is very easy to assemble them. But the reviews of gardeners suggest otherwise. Such greenhouses are very difficult to assemble. And if you buy an inexpensive model, then some parts may be the wrong size, poor quality, fragile and so on. In general, problems in terms of assembly are not uncommon.
- Manufacturers claim that the Butterfly greenhouse can last up to 10 years. Perhaps, with very careful operation, this is real, but most often in rough natural conditions it can withstand up to 5 years.
Lacks in frequent repairs
And now about the shortcomings.
- Wings require regular maintenance. These are inevitable wastes, since they are opened and closed many times in a season. Moisture, dryness, heat, the effects of various drugs (fertilizers, fungicides, insecticides) adversely affect the hinges, locks, any other metal parts. They must not only be regularly lubricated, but also replaced from time to time.
- The lower arc often bend, crack, in the case of polycarbonate, so it is important to strengthen them.
- After the purchase, literally in a few months, the paint applied to the frame cracks, peels off, and the metal arcs begin to undergo corrosion.
Build a greenhouse Polycarbonate butterfly
Build a greenhouse Butterfly is not difficult
Build a greenhouse Butterfly is not difficult, but only if the instruction is attached to the purchase, so this point should be clarified before making a purchase. Usually only screwdrivers and a wrench are needed for assembly. The frame is fastened with T-shaped elements, and the supporting parts are compensated by X-shaped parts. For their assembly using bolts, nuts, included in the kit. Sash usually cling to the loop.
Using the Butterfly greenhouse is not difficult. In some models, the valves do not need subcortex, the gardener adjusts the height of their opening, in other cases the subcortex is needed, but it is also height adjustable. Watering, caring for crops, harvesting is very simple, as there is direct access to the plants.
How to make a greenhouse butterfly do it yourself?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Breed Crested Ducks
- Varieties of courgettes for open ground
- Calving cow
- The best varieties of lettuce
You can make a Butterfly greenhouse yourself, if you don’t want to buy a finished structure. To do this, you must purchase certain materials and tools, as well as make a drawing of the final design (can be found on the Internet). The dual-pitch design consists of 4 sides, 2 frames ("wings"), 2 identical walls (front and rear) and a narrow upper part, to which the "wings" are attached.Interesting! As a coating for the Butterflies, they often use simple glass from under old windows. This is a convenient, cheap option, but the glass is often broken, so safety will be in doubt - do not forget about it.
The frame can be made of timber, plastic or metal profiles, and the coating can be polycarbonate, polyethylene or glass. Wings can be made whole or composed of several separate sections. The greenhouse itself is also often divided into sections in order to grow crops that need different climatic conditions.
With your own hands the easiest way to collect such a greenhouse of wooden bars and rails. To begin with, measurements are taken and all details are cut out. Then you need to fasten the frame and separate sash (you can use simple old windows with glass). On top of the frame fasten the sash with hinges. Over the design is tightened with a film. The side of the frame should be sheathed board, transparent plastic, plexiglass or similar, sturdy material. This allows you to strengthen the design, make it durable.Important! If the Butterfly is made at home, with your own hands, it is worth using smooth doors, since it is not always easy to make the same arcs at home.
If the gardener has the tools and experience to work with metal profiles, pipes, then you can make a metal frame. The essence of the process is identical, only the material is taken different. First, make measurements and cut parts, and then, using welding, connect them. In this case, if you have the necessary equipment, you can make curved doors and then attach them to the frame from the top with loops. That's just sheathe such a greenhouse with polycarbonate, as the film, agrofibre, like glass, will not fit here.
Butterfly Greenhouse Reviews
Butterfly greenhouse in operation
The easiest way to understand the features of the Butterfly greenhouse is to examine the reviews of those who already use it.
- Olga Terentyeva: "I liked the Butterfly greenhouse. I have been using it for the third year to grow stunted tomatoes. Of course, this is not a greenhouse, you will not go inside, but there is plenty of room for plants, and it is convenient to use."
- Denis Zarudny: "As for me, the Butterfly greenhouse is best suited for growing seedlings. Adult cultures in my mini-greenhouse do not fit completely (I took a small structure), and the flowers there will probably be cramped, but for seedlings, what you need."
- Natalya Nemirova: “The butterfly became my disappointment. Of course, I knew even before the purchase that there would definitely be problems with it, but I didn’t expect them to be monthly. The doors just don’t want to work as they should - they fall all the time, so it’s dangerous to stand under them. But, besides, inside the solid cracks, the plants are dying from a draft! "
- Tatyana Arkhipovna: "In the case of this design, you need to look only for original models, since the parts simply do not fit each other in the fakes - checked for yourself. But when I bought a bit more expensive, I was completely satisfied in a professional store. Indeed, the design is easy to assemble and serves already 2 year without any problems. "
- Vasily Radny: "The butterfly liked the interesting construction, but there is one important detail that is always forgotten to mention. This greenhouse is important to reliably and reliably anchor, otherwise it will fly away in the unfolded state with the slightest breeze, as happened to me."
Before you buy a Butterfly greenhouse, you should ask yourself questions - what is it for, how often will it be used, where and to what extent? Do not forget that small Butterflies are considered the most reliable and convenient, but with massive structures problems may arise. Yes, and personal preferences also play a significant role.