Dracaena - almost perfect houseplant. It looks spectacularly alone and alongside other plants, does not require much attention, fits into any interior. Due to the diversity of species, it is possible to choose a plant for an office, a hostel or a large house.
Types of dratsen
Dragon - dracaena
Africa is the birthplace of this plant. In nature, dracaena can grow up to 15 meters, and at home it rarely exceeds 2 meters in height. Externally, the culture is very similar to the palm tree. Tree trunk, linear leaves, elongated with pointed edges.Important! Dracaena room can live from 5 to 15 years, depending on the variety.
In the world there are more than 100 species of dracaena. But not all of them are widespread. Some can grow exclusively in nature, others are strictly zoned. And only some are intended for indoor cultivation. The most popular ones are described below.
- Dracaena bordered or Marginata grows in its natural environment up to 5 meters. Tree trunk, leaves narrow, elongated, can grow up to 70 cm (in nature). A distinctive feature - a red-purple border on the edges of the leaves.
- Dragon - Dracaena, growing in nature to 17 meters! The barrel can be up to 5 meters in diameter. But in the room it grows no more than 1.5 meters and has a very compact look. The leaves are located at the top of the pagon. They are green, dense, up to 50 cm long. Under certain lighting, the border of the leaf is pinkish.
- Fragrant dracaena can grow up to 2 meters. Its leaves are narrow and green, distinguished by a gray stripe in the middle. It produces white, fragrant flowers.
- Dracaena compact grows up to 2 meters. The trunk is long, at the top of the bunch collected leaves. This species is very simple to grow and can grow successfully even at low temperatures.
- Dracaena Godsef has a very original look. It grows a bush up to 70 cm. The leaves are wide, elongated. Color can be from beige to green (different shades). It blooms with light green flowers, after which fruits appear on the site of the former buds.
- Dracaena Deremskaya reaches a height of 1.5 meters. The leaves are quite motley with a light green tint. Flowers are light inside and scarlet outside, have an unpleasant smell.
How to care for Drace at home?Read also these articles.
- The content of bees in multicase hives
- How often and how to water the flowers
- Variety of tomatoes Pink Elephant
- How to plant onion sets in the spring
Growing dracaena is not a big deal. Care at home is accessible and understandable even to young, inexperienced growers.
- Lighting should be diffused. Usually, the pot is placed in a room on a table, on the floor or near the entrance, since it is too light on the window sill for culture - direct sunlight will be disastrous for the leaves.
- The air temperature in summer should be about + 18 ... +25 degrees, and in winter should not fall below +14 degrees. If the temperature is too low or too high, dracaena can drop all the leaves.
- Drafts, cold, damp dracaena not stand.
- Humidity is maintained at 70%, as dracaena is a tropical plant. This can be achieved by spraying or simply by placing it in a large pan with wet stones. You can also put a pot with wet decorative pebbles nearby.
- Watering should be abundant, but moderate. In the summer, they water about 4 times a week, in the winter - 2 times a week. The water used is soft, settled or filtered.
- Since the leaves of the plant quickly attract room dust to themselves, they need to be cleaned or sprayed every 1-3 days to give an aesthetic look.
- Top dressing is needed from early spring until the end of autumn - during the period of active growth. Use fertilizers for leafy plants. Beneficial substances are introduced every 2 weeks.
- Plants that grow more than 30 cm are pruned or pruned. The procedure is carried out in spring in order to achieve the development of lateral shoots from sprouts. Cut the tip can be a simple garden shears (disinfected), and cut the places cut with shredded charcoal.
Breeding dragon tree cuttings
Dracene multiply by three main methods.
- Cutting is a simple and popular way. It is held in the spring. From the adult plant cut off the shoot and divide into segments of 3 cm each. Each of these segments should have several buds or at least one. Then, on the cuttings on one side, the bark is incised and planted in the ground, and then covered with film. About a month the plant only slightly moisturize the plant - do not move, do not touch. Then, when the first leaves appear, you can begin to remove the film for ventilation for a while. But when the shoots finally take root, they can be seated in separate pots.
- Layering is another common method. With an adult dracaena, you need to cut off the top with leaves and put it in water (warm). To prevent fungal diseases, an activated carbon tablet is thrown into the water and sometimes changed. After about 2 months or a little more roots will appear and then the plants can be planted in the ground.
- Seeds propagated dracaena with monochromatic, green leaves. Before planting, they are dipped for a day in a solution of "Zircon" or any other growth stimulant, and then sown in a container and covered with a film. Germination temperature +30 degrees. The first sprouts are expected in a few months, they are watered and fed in a timely manner. And when they grow up to 5 cm - transplanted into separate pots.
Dragon transplantWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Feeding seedlings pepper
- How and the better to feed the melons in the greenhouse
- Moldova grape variety
- Fat-tailed ram
After the dracaena is purchased, it must be brought into the house and allowed to adapt for 20 days. After that, you can transplant it into a new pot. The pot is chosen a little more than the store (for growth), with a ventilated bottom (with holes). At the bottom of the stack drainage.
Now it is necessary to release the dracaena from the old pot and, together with the earthy clod, rearrange it into a new one, and then fill it with the prepared soil. Land for planting is bought or made independently. In its composition in equal proportions should be present: turf, leaf soil, sand, peat, humus. After transplantation, you can moisten the ground, but not much.
Further transplants are carried out once a year, in early spring until the plant grows up. The adult dracaena is transplanted once every 4 years.
What is sick dracaena?
Dracaena diseases and pests
Improper care at home, a bad place to grow, poor-quality land can lead to the development of many diseases dracaena and other problems.
- If the leaves turn black, it means that the earth is inappropriate and there are not enough nutrients. The plant needs to be transplanted into a good, nutritious soil.
- If the barrel is very thin, it means that there is not enough light and power. Dracaena is transferred to the lighted place and fertilized with complex dressings.
- Dry tips of the leaves indicate dry air - you need to increase the humidity by spraying or some other method.
- Dry spots on leaflets cause sunburn.
- From a sudden change in temperature, humidity, and also drafts, leaves are usually lowered and curled. To solve the problem will help the regulation of indoor microclimate.
In addition to disease, you need to fear pests. The melliferous scarlet, scale insect and spider mite most often strike the roecene. The mealybug is shown in the form of shaggy small plaques, washing with soapy water will help from it. Shchitovka appears on the lower leaves of brown plaques. They are struggling with it by washing the leaves with a soap solution and processing with "Aktellik". Spider mite is expressed in the form of yellow spots on the leaves and the web. It can be destroyed by an insecticide like "Fitoferma", "Antiklescha", "Akarina".