In order to breed or maintain chickens throughout the year, you need to have a good winter chicken coop. Only in this case, you can get eggs from chickens throughout the year, because these birds do not rush in the cold and with a short light day. About the features of the winter coop and its construction on 10, 20, 30 and 50 chickens, will be discussed below in the article.
What should be a winter chicken coop?
Winter chicken coop
You can keep chickens in a warm season in any room - even an old, flimsy barn, the main thing is to retool it for birds. But if the bird will be bred throughout the year, including the winter period, it is necessary to take care that it is comfortable and safe. Winter coop is different from the summer in many qualities.
- The site for the construction of the winter site is selected on a hill. Then during the thaw, when the snow melts, water will not flow into it.
- Inside it is always warm - approximately the same temperature is maintained due to heating. If there is no heating, then warming is done - in any case, the winter hen house should be no less than + 5 ... +10 degrees Celsius. But it is desirable that in the winter in the coop was from +12 degrees and above, then the chickens will rush without interruption.
- In the winter coop should be dry, since high humidity will quickly lead to the development of mold, and then disease, among birds.
- Artificial lighting is mandatory. After all, if a couple of windows are enough in the summer, then in the winter you cannot do without light bulbs. A short daylight hours will lead to the fact that the chickens will cease to sweep, so it can not be without illumination.
These are the most important criteria according to which the premises are built. But besides that, inside should be safe and quiet. The place for construction is selected calm - in the depth of the plot, away from the house and roads, where it can be noisy.
Materials for the winter coopRead also these articles.
- Flour, its species and varieties
- Potato variety Breeze
- Currant variety Selechenskaya
- How to choose a melon
Build a winter chicken coop is not difficult if you have all the necessary materials and space for construction. But which materials may be required? The quantity and their type directly depend on the building to be built, its design, features (specific, functional), dimensions.Important! You can not build a winter chicken coop made of sheet iron, since it practically does not keep heat and leads to the formation of condensation on the walls.
Usually such premises are made of wood, OSB, chipboard, plywood or similar material. They keep warm well, are easy to use. But with bricks and cinder block work harder. But it all depends on the capabilities and preferences of the breeder. In addition, you should also purchase basic materials immediately:
- cement, sand;
- nails, screws, screws;
- bars and planks;
- netting chain (for aviary);
- door and window hinges (if necessary);
- stone wool, foam plastic or other material for insulation;
- windows or glass;
- pipe for ventilation;
- electrical cable, light bulbs, on-off switch;
- roofing material, slate or other roofing material;
- expanded clay (floor insulation).
Types of foundations
Pile-screw, column and strip foundation
A foundation is always made before the construction of the winter coop. In the case of such a small and simple construction, a pile, column or strip foundation is usually used.
- The pile-screw foundation is more expensive than columnar, but it also withstands heavy loads. For its construction, the marking is done on the site with the help of pegs with a tensioned rope, and then the piles are screwed in at the corners of the building.
- Pillar foundations are usually laid on loose or sandy ground. After marking the site, pits are made around the perimeter (50x50 cm and 70 cm high) at a distance of one meter from each other. Sand is poured at the bottom of the pits, tamped down, brick is laid and poured with concrete, and then columns are placed. Above the ground they should rise 20-30 cm. Then the ground is covered with gravel.
- Ribbon foundation is very popular in the construction of the chicken coop. For its construction, they dig a trench around the perimeter of the future structure and make a formwork from planks. Then the concrete base is poured in and this is the main drawback of the work, because working with concrete requires compliance with the technology and you have to wait a long time for the concrete to harden to proceed to the next stages of construction. So, a wooden chicken coop can only be built 3 weeks later, and a brick coop can be built 4-5 weeks after pouring concrete.
How to build a winter chicken coop with your own hands?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Top dressing strawberry boric acid
- Red-cheeked apricot
- What is bee perga and its beneficial properties
- Marble pear variety
Alignment plot, drawing the future of the building
Build a winter chicken coop with your own hands is not difficult, but you have to follow certain rules and the most important of them is to keep the right sizes. The chicken coop must match the number of hens that will live in it, which means that you must first determine the number of future birds.Important! Build a winter chicken coop with your own hands is possible without drawing. However, experts recommend still making a drawing of the future of the building, to facilitate the work itself.
After determining the size and purchase of materials, you can begin construction.
- The first and most important is the alignment of the plot. Approximately 35 cm, the upper soil is removed and a 10 cm gravel pad is made.
- Now the foundation is laid - any of the above.
- The next stage of construction - installation of the floor. For this, a support frame is made. From below it is sheathed by boards. Lags are made with a cross section of 100x150 cm and a distance of 50 cm. The base is attached to the pillars of the foundation, but first a layer of roofing material is placed on them (for reliability). Expanded clay (insulation) is poured into the cells of the floor, and the floor is sewn up with boards.
- The walls are made of timber or OSB (can be made of brick). In the case of a bar you should not forget about flax-jute material that is placed between the bars so that there are no gaps. OSB is attached to the frame, which is made of vertical and horizontal bars, fastened together. Such walls are sheathed on one side, then insulation is put inside (stone wool) and only then the second side is sewn up.
- If the chicken coop is made of brick or lumber, you need to warm it outside with foam plastic, which is then sealed with a metal grid, covered with a reinforcing mixture and coated with paint.
- During the erection of walls made openings for doors and windows.
- Now it is necessary to insert the windows and doors and check that they are reliable, do not have gaps (closed).
- During the erection of the winter coop should not forget about ventilation. It can be made in the wall using a conventional pipe.
- If necessary, heating is provided, but this is not necessary.
- The roof is constructed dvukhskatny or odnoskatny. Before laying the roofing material, the roof is glazed with roofing felt, for waterproofing.
- Artificial light is made inside and it is very important to make sure that all wires are out of reach from chickens or moisture — they are usually placed in special plastic boxes.
- Outside is an aviary.
Winter chicken coop for 10 chickens
Coop for 10 chickens
Immediately it is worth noting that the winter coop for 10 chickens has very modest size, so it will not take up much space on the site. It is quickly built, easily contained and can have the most diverse forms.Interesting! On the Internet there is an incredible variety of designs of a winter chicken coop for 10 chickens. All you need is to find a suitable one and recreate it with your own hands, whenever possible by adding innovations and improvements.
For 10 chickens there is a house measuring 2x2 meters (the methodology for building a chicken coop can be specified above). Some chicken coops are built immediately with an open-air cage under walking, others without. For 10 chickens will be enough aviary size 2x3 meters. After the chicken coop is built it is important to equip it inside.
- A litter is spread on the floor with a thickness of 7-10 cm.
- Perches are made of timber with a diameter of up to 6 cm. For 10 chickens, 2 meters of perches is enough. They can be made in several tiers to save space, but only with a ladder so that it is convenient to climb.
- For laying hen nests. They can be made in one or several tiers. For the manufacture of used a variety of materials (sometimes they are made even from old tires for the car). The size of each nest is 40x40 cm. Only 10 nests are needed for 10 females.
- Feeders and drinkers are hung on the walls or placed on the floor so that they do not interfere with the chickens, but are available at any time.
- In winter, for additional heating you can install incandescent bulbs.
Winter chicken coop for 20 chickens
Chicken coop for 20 hens
For 20 chickens will be enough chicken coop size 3x3 meters. With the amount of space you should not be greedy, because in the cramped hens may begin to show signs of cannibalism.
Perches are made with the calculation of 20 cm per hen. That is, at least 4 meters of timber with a diameter of about 6 cm is taken. They should be installed as far as possible from the entrance to the hen house. You can do 1 or 2 tiers.Important! Feeding troughs and drinking bowls are desirable to use those that are hung on the wall, then the food and water will not be very dirty. But hang them no more than 15 cm from the floor.
Nests are located in the depths of the chicken coop, where it will be as comfortable as possible. For the manufacture of the winter nest used large boxes, old tires, wooden boxes or something like that. They are filled with gravel and a shell, and then soft straw, so that the eggs do not beat. They must be strong, reliable. For 3-5 chickens one nest is made. That is, in the hen-house for 20 chickens, only 4 nests are enough, which can be set on each other (2 tiers).
Features chicken coops 30 and 50 chickens
Coop 30 and 50 chickens
The number of chickens in the chicken coop is determined before the start of the winter chicken coop. Indeed, depending on the quantity, a certain area is made, the number of roosts and nests.
- A chicken coop for 30 chickens should have an area of approximately 7.8-9 square meters. Winter coop for 50 chickens has an area of 1.5-2 times more - 10-15 square meters.
- Roosts in total should be 6 meters long for 30 chickens. You can make them in 2-3 tiers of 3-2 meters, respectively. For 50 chickens, a 10-meter-long roost is taken, which is divided into convenient dimensions and attached to the walls.
- Nests for 30 chickens are 6 pieces, and for 50 chickens 10 pieces. But do not forget that the roosters do not need them. So first you need to exclude roosters and then, based on the amount received, make a certain number of nests (3-5 chickens are taken per nest).
The winter chicken coop differs from the summer one only in its more compact size, insulation and a small aviary. Properly constructed and equipped room allows you to get eggs from chickens even in the coldest months. It is for this reason that it is not worth saving on building a winter chicken coop - the work and the investment will fully pay for itself in the first year.