Who does not like to collect beautiful, even and tasty cucumbers from their own garden? Unfortunately, they are not always so obtained. There are many reasons, but most often this is due to the lack of nutrients in the soil. In order not to face such a problem, you need to fertilize the bed with cucumbers in a timely manner. But how to feed cucumbers in a greenhouse or in the open field? This and some other points of fertilizer culture will be discussed later in the article.
When do you need to feed cucumbers?
Each gardener has his own methods and rules for feeding cucumbers, as the sources point to different periods of fertilizer application. But for a novice gardener, it is important to have a rough schedule, which he will adjust as needed, gaining experience.
- For the first time, cucumbers are fed during seedling development. There are many methods of growing cucumber seedlings and they do not always dive (if they were initially grown in individual cups). So you need to focus on the number of leaves. As soon as 2-3 leaves appear, the seedlings need to be fertilized.
- The second time you need to feed sprouts 2 weeks after planting in a permanent place. Sometimes the procedure is carried out one day before transplantation, but this is not necessary if the sprouts are strong, tall, have a normal color.
- The following dressing falls on the flowering period. As soon as the first flowers or buds appeared, you need to add fertilizer. Bring it only at the root!
- When the fruiting phase begins, you need to feed the cucumbers with organic matter. Minerals are no longer to be used (unless, as a last resort), so that they do not affect the benefits of saplings, but organics: infusions, solutions will not harm. Since the appearance of the fruit, cucumbers are fed about once every 2 weeks or a little less.
Interesting! Feeding is better to make in the evening or in the morning, when the weather is cool, right after the rain or watering.
With the approximate timing and features of fertilizer sorted out. But how to feed cucumbers depending on the place of planting and the period of plant development?
How to feed cucumber seedlings?Read also these articles.
- Description of the variety of cabbage Rinda, planting and care in the open field
- Milking machine for cows
- Cabbage for the winter in banks
- Savoy cabbage - growing and care
The whole future harvest depends on cucumber seedlings, so do not skimp on time or feeding - the stronger the sprouts, the more fruitful they will be. But how to feed cucumbers at the seedling stage?
- Korovyak, diluted with water in a ratio of 1:10 is used for watering after the appearance of the first 2 leaves. Alternative may be bird droppings, but already at a ratio of 1:20 with water.
- From commercially available preparations for feeding cucumbers at the seedling growth stage, it is recommended to recommend the “Waregiver” or “Ideal”. The proportions for breeding always indicate on the package.
Important! Too frequent feeding can harm cucumbers, so between their introduction it is necessary to observe an interval of about 2 weeks.
- When the seedlings are still small (2-4 leaves), it needs a lot of nutrients to grow. 10 g of water usually take 15 g of superphosphate, 8 g of potassium sulfate, 7 g of ammonium nitrate. In this mixture, you need to mix a liter of mullein, diluted in a ratio of 1: 4 with water. After the mixture is ready (mixed), you can use it for watering.
- Before transplanting seedlings into open ground or greenhouse, fertilizing is carried out with Kemira Lux. A tablespoon of the substance is diluted in 10 liters of water, and then used for watering. The amount needed for sprouts is determined by their size and condition. As a rule, this solution replaces one watering.
Fertilizer for the growth of cucumbers
Cucumbers in the greenhouse
Immediately after planting cucumbers in a greenhouse or open ground, they are not touched. Planting is usually carried out in the nutrient land (fertilized), so the first time sprouts are, unless they are watered and get rid of cultivated plants near. But if after 2 weeks the seedlings do not stretch out, they will have bad leaf color, you need to know how to feed cucumbers for growth.
- Of the organic dressings should first pay attention to the slurry or chicken droppings. The first is diluted 1: 8 with water, the second is 1:15. Simple, fresh cow dung is diluted with water 1: 6. The resulting solution watered sprouts under the root. For each sprout you need 1-1.5 liters of this tool.
If the gardener likes to use minerals rather than organic matter, you can use one of the following dressings for active plant growth.
- 5 grams of the nitrogen-phosphorus mixture is scattered directly on the ground, near the bushes and sprinkled with earth.
- 60 g of superphosphate are taken for a tablespoon of urea, and all this is mixed in a 10-liter bucket with water and then used for watering.
- An alternative to the above means may be a solution of 10 liters of water, 10 g of potassium salt, 10 g of superphosphate and 10 g of ammonium nitrate.
Feed for active fruitingWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Pig diseases
- Breed of Charolais cows
- How to choose a machine for shearing sheep
- The best varieties of eggplant for greenhouses
To fructification was abundant, you need to take care of the correct fertilizer. You can start feeding with the beginning of the flowering period, but even after the first fruits appear they should not be stopped. The main thing to observe the frequency of 2 weeks or more. But more frequent feeding will lead to a decrease in taste.
- To attract pollinators (insects) to cucumber flowers, you should use a simple top dressing - 2 g of boric acid, 100 g of sugar per liter of warm water. This tool is sprayed cucumbers. But before you feed the cucumbers, you need to make sure that the proportions are met! If boric acid is more, the bees can get poisoned!
- To increase the number of flowers, you need to use a simple root feeding. For 10 liters of water, a glass of wood ash is taken - mixed and poured a liter for each bush.
- Herbal infusion can significantly improve the quality and taste of cucumbers. To do this, you need to make a mixture (grass and water in a 1: 1 ratio), which is infused for 3-4 days. After that, it is diluted 1: 5 with water and used in a liter per bush.
- A 2-day infusion of hay can be used as an excellent organic root-dressing during fruiting. Such a tool is absolutely safe and does not harm cucumbers.
- Not bad and baking soda. At 30 grams taken 10 liters of water. No need to insist - after mixing the solution immediately water the cucumber bushes.
Mineral feeding during the period of fruiting is used very rarely. But if there are no cucumbers or they are very twisted, of bad taste, the colors can be quickly rectified only with mineral or mixed fertilizer. To do this, take 500 ml of mullein, a tablespoon of nitrophoska and 10 liters of warm water. After the product is mixed, a garden bed is poured over it. Per square meter is taken up to 5 liters of funds.
How to feed cucumbers in a greenhouse?
Cucumbers in a greenhouse
Greenhouse conditions make it possible to obtain large yields, but a greenhouse is a small room in which high humidity and temperature are maintained. There is always little sunlight and a high risk of developing diseases, the appearance of harmful insects. To make cucumbers comfortable, you need to fertilize them regularly in a greenhouse. But how to feed cucumbers? In closed ground, this crop most needs to be fertile in nitrogen, calcium and phosphorus, and during fruiting in potassium, magnesium and nitrogen.
- The mowed grass is poured with water at a ratio of 1: 1 and infused in a dark place for 3-4 days. The resulting, concentrated fertilizer is diluted with water 1: 5 and used for feeding. 4-5 liters of solution are taken per square meter. This fertilizer is often used by gardeners to enhance the growth of cucumbers in the greenhouse, as it contains a lot of nitrogen.
- Wood ash - a source of potassium, phosphorus, as well as some other trace elements. This is a universal tool used for cucumbers, regardless of location and growth phase. In the greenhouse, it is used as a dressing - they pull the ground (a tablespoon on the sprout) or prepare a solution (a glass of ash on a bucket of water).
Important! Fertilizing cucumbers in the greenhouse during flowering and fruiting is extremely necessary, otherwise the yield will be low.
- Another popular method is the compost solution. To a liter of land from a compost heap, a 0.5-1 pail of water is taken, mixed well and immediately used for irrigation.
How to feed cucumbers in the open field?
Cucumbers in open ground
In the open ground, cucumbers produce lower yields compared to greenhouses. But despite this they grow without any special problems, if they are fertilized in time. So, how to feed cucumbers in the open field?
- After the seedlings are planted in open ground, you can begin to use fertilizer for growth. 2 weeks after landing, the Kemira Universal or Akvarin solution is made according to the instructions.
- From organic fertilizers, you can use mullein, diluted with water at a ratio of 1:10 or bird droppings at a ratio of 1:15. These beds are poured over these beds not under the root, but into the furrows made 5 cm from the base of the plant.
- A week after the first top-dressing, it is necessary to add a weak solution of potassium permanganate to the soil in order to protect the plants from pests and diseases, and then to pull the earth with ash and water it.
Interesting! To cucumbers do not spoil, you need to alternate between mineral and organic fertilizer. This will keep the amount of nutrients in the soil at a normal level sufficient for culture.
- If cucumbers do not grow well, you can use a strong fertilizer from a mixture of mineral elements. 45 grams of superphosphate, 25 grams of ammonium nitrate, 20 grams of potassium salt and 15 grams of potassium chloride are taken per 10 liters of water.
- In the flowering or fruiting phase it is recommended to use organic matter. Suitable, for example, chicken manure, diluted with water in the ratio of 1: 8.
- If during the period of active fruiting the plant began to lose color, dry out, you should not immediately rush to the mineral tusks, you should use the ash solution to start. This universal remedy contains many minerals and reinforces the strength of the plant at any stage of growth. A glass of ash needs 10 liters of warm water. This feeding is not harmful, so it can be used every 2 weeks throughout the fruiting.
Introducing timely feeding as cucumbers, you can grow powerful plants that will delight with the harvest of even the pickiest gardener. So you should not neglect their use. And if there are concerns about minerals, then they can be easily replaced with organic matter.