Garlic grows for a long time and therefore I want the harvest to be rich, and the heads to reach maximum sizes. For those who do not like a small crop and scant teeth, it is recommended to plant garlic Gulliver. The name speaks for itself - it has massive heads, a pleasant appearance and great taste.
Description Garlic varieties Gulliver
Gulliver is a spring rifle variety of medium maturity. The vegetative period of culture is 87-98 days. This variety grows up to 50-70 cm in height. On an already mature plant there are 8–12 leaves of dark green color up to 55 cm long. There is a wax coating on the leaves and is distinctly expressed.
Description Garlic varieties Gulliver
Interesting! Gulliver is one variety of spring garlic, which gives the arrow. It contains 7% sulfur-containing substances, 23.3% of amino acids and proteins, as well as an abundance of vitamin C, which makes it indispensable for therapeutic purposes.
Garlic Gulliver has a large, flat-rounded head with an average weight of 90-120g, while record specimens weigh 250-300 g. The teeth are large, each head has 3-5 dirty gray or white colors. Upper scales are grayish. The taste of garlic is sharp, the flesh is white and dense.
The advantages and disadvantages of the varietyRead also these articles.
- Breed Muscovy duck (Indo-Hound)
- How to cut onions for long-term storage
- Aloe phlox
- What to feed the ducks in the winter?
To understand all the features of the garlic Gulliver variety, one can only consider its positive and negative sides. So, what are the virtues of garlic Gulliver?
Features varieties of garlic Gulliver
- The head is large, the teeth are either medium in size or large;
- This variety is characterized by keeping quality. It is pretty easy to store;
- Productivity is high and stable from year to year;
- There is a stable immunity to many diseases;
- Good product quality;
- Not afraid of frost - grown in all regions of Ukraine, Russia, Moldova, Belarus and countries with a similar climate.
Among the shortcomings, it can be noted that Gulliver requires proper planting and maintenance, as well as good storage conditions.
How to plant Gulliver?
Gulliver’s quick harvest can be obtained only with proper and timely planting. If it is planted incorrectly, it will grow and develop for a long time. Planting of any spring garlic is usually carried out in early spring, and not in autumn, as in the case of winter. So that garlic Gulliver should be planted in the spring. When the soil warms to a temperature of + 5 ... +6 degrees, you can start planting. Depending on the region, it may be the end of March or the beginning of April. In the northern regions - closer to May.
Gulliver need to plant in the spring
Place for landing is chosen carefully. It should be bright, without stagnant water. Garlic grows best after tomatoes, cucumbers, salads, cabbage and legumes. Once in 5 years you need to change the place for planting garlic.
Interesting! If you plant garlic Gulliver in a dense (heavy) soil, the heads will grow small.
The land is being prepared in the autumn in order to simplify work in the spring. In spring, before planting, the soil should be soft (loosened), fertilized with various nutrients, preferably loamy or enriched with humus. As fertilizer, you can use mineral fertilizer, organic matter individually or together. 5 kg of humus, 20 g of superphosphate and 15 g of potassium chloride are usually taken per square meter. If the earth is acidic, then it will be necessary to reduce its acidity in advance (to make it neutral) by treating with lime or dolomite flour.
After the earth is ready, cloves of garlic are planted in it. They can be prepared in advance, soaked in potassium permanganate or substances that accelerate the development of the root system, but this is not necessary. When planting between the teeth, they maintain 8 cm of distance, and between the beds - 25-30 cm. The embedding depth is 4-6 cm, not more.
Interesting! Before planting garlic need to pack it. Large teeth are planted separately from small ones, as they will grow faster and most likely will produce greater yield.
After planting, the ground is mulched with peat or agrofibre. This will avoid the appearance of weeds and retain moisture in the ground.
How to care for garlic Gulliver?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Chestnut honey and its properties
- When to pick up cabbage
- Breeding quails as a business
- Hens of breed Adler silvery
To garlic Gulliver gave a good harvest, you need to properly care for him. The treatment consists of standard measures that are observed regularly throughout the growing season of the crop.
Care for garlic Gulliver is not difficult
- Watering is carried out abundant until the end of May, as this is the time of active leaf growth. When the 6th leaf appears, watering starts to be reduced. This time of formation of the head, so frequent watering will lead to its decay.
- The next day after watering, or a few hours later (if watering was done in the morning), you need to loosen the ground under sprouts so that it will not be taken with a crust. The head will not be able to develop in heavy, hard ground, so in this case it is better to loosen more often than less often.
- Feeding is carried out after the appearance of the first leaves. As a rule, nitrogen-containing mixtures are used, it is possible to take wood ash, humus. But fresh manure can not be used, as it can lead to the development of diseases and reduce the shelf life of the product after its collection.
- Treatment for diseases and pests allows you to save the crop. However, it is not recommended to use even biological preparations in the period when the head has already formed. The most common diseases are fusarium, black mold, powdery mildew, bacterial decay, rust. Of the pests should be wary of onion flies.
Harvesting and storage
Harvesting is carried out in July. The yield of a high variety per square meter is collected on average 980 g of heads. The harvest of garlic Gulliver can be stored up to 8 months.
But in order for the plant to lie for a long time, it is first sorted out, dried well and laid out or hung in size and condition (large, small, damaged, whole). The storage area must be dry, otherwise the garlic Gulliver will rot. To prolong the shelf life of the product, many hostesses preserve it, pour it in oil, keep it in the refrigerator and even freeze it.
The use of garlic varieties Gulliver universally. It is used fresh, put in salads, appetizers, hot first and second courses. They make medicinal and cosmetic preparations from it.