Cauliflower is harder to grow than white cabbage. It is less resistant to climate change, can often hurt and does not always please with a bountiful harvest. Therefore, before planting, you need to accurately determine the variety that will completely suit the gardener. Cauliflower varieties are the most diverse. The differences are not only in the ripening period or the method of cultivation, but also in the size of the heads, the yield, and even the color of the cabbage.
The best early cauliflower varieties
Cauliflower is early, mid-season and late. Early cauliflower varieties are fast growing, so you can try them first of all species, but they quickly deteriorate because they have a delicate texture.
Early cauliflower varieties
- "Warranty" - the early grade removed for cultivation in an open ground. Ripening in a friendly way for 50 days after planting seedlings or 75-98 days from the moment of emergence. The heads grow small - 300-1000 g. From above they are protected by covering, developed leaves. The cabbage form is round-flat, the texture is fine-grained, the color is white with cream shimmer. Taste pronounced. The yield per square meter - 1.5-3.5 kg. Stable resistant to long journeys, not affected by vascular bacteriosis.
- "Snowball" - French early variety, giving a full-fledged cabbage 90-95 days after germination. The heads are dense, small - 400-1000 g, snow-white in color. The shape is flat and round. The taste is excellent, used fresh, canned, frozen. Productivity from square meter to 4 kg. Not afraid of cold snaps.
- "Snowball" - very beautiful, tuberous cauliflower. It is distinguished by the fact that it has a stable immunity from many diseases. The heads are snow-white, hence the name, with pronounced mounds, a rounded flat shape. Weight - 650-850 grams. Can be grown in adverse conditions, in open and closed ground. The average yield per square meter 3 kg.
- "Movir 74" - an early variety of cauliflower. From germination to technical ripeness takes 85-95 days. Grown in open or protected ground. Heads are round-flat, tight, weighing 0.4-1.4 kg. The surface with mounds, fine-grained, has a white color. This cabbage is good in conservation, fresh taste is not bad. It can be transported over long distances, endures heat and mild cold, does not crack. With a square meter collect 4 kg of this cabbage.
- "Regent" - medium early variety of universal use. From the emergence of shoots to technical ripeness takes 100-110 days. It is cultivated both in closed, and in an open ground. There is resistance to disease, drought. The head is not very dense, but for early cabbage it is normal. The shape is round, the color is white, the texture is fine-grained. The average weight is 500-600 g. The yield depends on the maintenance and the place of cultivation (in greenhouses above), from 0.9 to 3.9 kg per square meter.
These are only the best varieties of early-stage cauliflower. Varieties are also very popular with gardeners: Express, Goodman F1, Goat Dereza, Alpha, Bolero.
Mid-season varietiesRead also these articles.
- Rabbit Breed Butterfly
- The benefits and harm of cherries for humans
- Kalanchoe Flower
- Growing radish in a greenhouse
Mid-season cauliflower varieties - an intermediate "point" between early and late. By texture, they are closer to the early ones - tender, sweetish, but already more dense, which allows them to be transported to distant markets without any problems. At the same time, mid-season varieties and hybrids are stored for a long time, rarely fear frost and have a high content of vitamins.
Mid-season varieties of cauliflower
- "White Beauty" - high-yielding variety - 4-6 kg per square meter. Ripening occurs on the 65th day after planting the seedlings. Cultivation is recommended in open ground, not in greenhouses. The heads are large, up to 1.2 kg, white, dense. The main disadvantages are vulnerability to temperature extremes and pests. Advantages - transportability, presentation, long-term storage.
- "Flora Blanca" - mid-season Dutch variety, yielding a harvest as early as 110 days after the emergence of seedlings. There is resistance to autumnal cold snaps, bacteriosis. The head is elastic, large, weighing about 1.2 kg, white and yellow. The taste is excellent, can be used in any form. With a square meter per season, an average of 2.5 kg of cabbage is harvested.
- "White little head" ripens in 110-120 days. The head is flat-round, white, weighing up to 1.1 kg. It has a high content of vitamin C and trace elements. Used in cooking (including baby food), medicine, cosmetology. It has a pleasant taste, resistance to slight frost. The yield of 4.5 kg per square meter.
Among the good mid-season cauliflower varieties should also be mentioned: "Bora", "Celeste".
The best late cauliflower varieties
Late varieties of cauliflower contain a lot of nutrients. However, it is possible to grow them in the northern regions only in greenhouses or self-made greenhouses, as they do not have time to ripen before the first frost.
Late cauliflower varieties
- "Amerigo F1" hybrid, giving heads mass of 2-2.5 kg. It grows slowly, only after 2-2.5 months after planting seedlings can you try the first harvest. This cabbage has snow-white heads, massive, weighty. Possesses persistent immunity from viral diseases, pests do not usually bother her. The use is universal. Differs capriciousness in terms of soil, fertilizer, watering. Productivity per square meter 6-8 kg.
- "Asterix F1" - Dutch hybrid ripening for 125-130 days. It has leaves of dark green color. The head is white, round, smooth, weighing up to 900 g. Tastes are good. Productivity can be up to 2.3 kg per square meter. Means mildew immunity.
- "Cortes F1" - one of the most productive hybrids of late cauliflower. Ripens in 75 days from the moment of landing of seedling. At least 5 kg of cabbage is harvested per square meter. The head is dense, white, weighty (2-3 kg), with a high content of juice. Ideal for sale, storage. This hybrid survives at the first autumn frosts, temperature drops. Disadvantages: demands on the soil, fertilizers.
This also ranked: "Adler winter 679", "Sochi", "Adler spring".
Unusual cauliflower varietiesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- What is a nucleus for bees
- How and why horses are bred, how to make business on it
- Apricot Variety Champion of the North
- Planting garlic in the fall
White cauliflower is a classic. It is tasty, beautiful, but simple. For several decades, scientists and breeders create new varieties of cauliflower, with colored heads of cabbage, which have an increased amount of certain vitamins (minerals) in the composition. Unusual cauliflower varieties are described below.
Unusual cauliflower varieties
- Romanesco - A hybrid of cauliflower and broccoli. It stands out for its bright appearance. Sometimes referred to as "coral cabbage". Looks like a sea shell. Inflorescences of a pyramidal form, yellow-green color. Heads grow amicably with normal farming techniques, reaching a mass of 0.5 kg or more.
- "Yarik F1" - the mid-season hybrid ripening 65 days after planting. The head is yellow-orange, dense, with small tubercles on the surface. The structure is tender, weight - 300-500 g. In this cabbage there is a high content of beta-carotene. Used for a variety of fresh dishes, frying, boiling, freezing. With good care, up to 2.5 kg of vegetables are harvested per square meter.
- "Graffiti F1" - mid-season hybrid - when planting seedlings, the crop is harvested in 70-80 days. The leaves are blue-green with a waxy coating, the head is purple, slightly raised, flat-round, taut, with mild tubercles. The texture is tender, weight - 700-1100 g. From a square meter is collected with proper care up to 6 kg of cabbage. Taste is pleasant, contains many anthocyanins. It differs in that it cooks faster than a simple cauliflower; during long cooking, the color may change.
- "Rosamund" - Germanic early ripening variety. After the emergence of shoots to technical ripeness, 110-113 days pass. The heads are small - 0.6-0.8 kg, dense, of a pleasant appearance - lilac. By the number of some nutrients, this variety is ahead of other known hybrids and cauliflower varieties. There is immunity to many diseases. Productivity - 18 tons per hectare.
For lovers of the exotic, you should also try such unusual varieties of cauliflower as: "Emerald Cup", "Orange Cheese F1", "Veronica F1", "Maserata Green", "Purple Sicilian", "Lilac Sphere", "Amethyst F1".