What is the secret of abundant and annual harvest of gooseberries? Many factors play a role here, right down to the variety, but even the simplest gooseberry can produce a good crop if it is fed in time for a year. About what to feed the gooseberries and when to do it will be discussed below in the article.
How to feed the gooseberries in the spring?
The first feeding of the gooseberry is carried out when it begins to appear the first, spring leaves. But how to feed the gooseberries? There are several options.
Feeding gooseberry in spring
- Manure is filled with a layer of 7-9 cm right under the bush. At the same time, it is necessary to ensure that the fertilizer does not touch the pagons and does not contact directly with the roots. It will gradually rot, and give nourishment to the bush until autumn. But there is one obvious drawback - in the manure there may be pests, fungal spores, which will negatively affect the condition of the bush and require additional treatments.
- Instead of manure you can use humus. It is also poured onto the excavated ground near the bush with a layer up to 9 cm. The benefits of it are almost instantaneous and it does not bear any harm in itself. And in order for the nitrogen not to evaporate quickly (it is a volatile substance), the top of the humus must be dragged with earth or peat.
- Bird droppings are often used, but it is important not to overdo it with concentration. Per 12 liters of water is taken a kilogram of fertilizer. All the resulting muck is poured under one adult bush. In this fertilizer is much more nitrogen and other elements than in the manure or humus. He can simply burn the plant if he overdoes it with the amount.
Important! Gooseberry fertilizer does not take much time or money. But the benefits of it are already noticeable when collecting the first berries! The fertilized shrub bears fruit much more actively, its berries are sweeter, with a pronounced taste.
- Mineral fertilizers are also very useful, so you can use them. Under each bush in the period of bud break or the appearance of the first leaves, 40 g of saltpeter or 70 g of ammonium sulfate are introduced in a dry form. They are scattered under a bush and buried in the ground.
- From folk remedies recommended infusion of potato cleansing. On a bucket of boiling water is taken a liter jar of potato skins. This mixture is covered with a cloth and put to insist. When the temperature of the infusion in the bucket reaches 50 degrees, 200 g of wood ash is added to it and the bushes are immediately watered.
Feeding gooseberry during floweringRead also these articles.
- Peach Curl
- Description of the gooseberry variety Malachite
- How to grow strawberries in the greenhouse all year round
- Harvested pepper varieties
During the flowering period, many gardeners do not fertilize because they are afraid of harming the bush and future fruits. However, this is one of the most difficult periods of the year for a plant, in which it really needs additional nutrients.
Feeding gooseberry during flowering
Before feeding gooseberries during flowering, it is necessary to determine the type of fertilizer. In order for flowers not to crumble, they grow and develop in large quantities, you need to make liquid fertilizers - they digest faster and give results in a short time.
- Dung slurry is diluted with water in the ratio of 1:10. After this remedy is infused for a week, it is decanted and poured into the furrows at the roots.
- A liter of serum is taken a teaspoon of sour cream, a tablespoon of honey and a liter of water. After all the ingredients are mixed, you need to add 10 g of live yeast and pour the mixture into 10 liters of warm water. This solution is infused for a week in a dark place. Then half a liter of the substance is diluted in a bucket of water and poured gooseberry.
- At 20 g of urea is taken a bucket of water. The mixture is well mixed so that the urea is dissolved and used for watering.
- A kilogram of fresh grass (nettle, dandelions, comfrey) is poured into a bucket of water. A week means should be infused in a dark room. After that, the liquid is filtered, diluted in a ratio of 1:10 with water and gooseberries are poured at the root.
Important! Foliar nutrition during the gooseberry bloom is not carried out, as it can harm both the flowers and the insects that pollinate them.
Do I need summer dressing bushes?
On the benefits of summer feeding gooseberry are actively debating. The fact is that if you are late with this feeding and spend it later, the fertilizer may affect the quality and taste of the berries. Therefore, if the gardener does not have time to apply fertilizer, it is better to do without it. So, when and how to feed the gooseberries in the summer?
Top dressing of a gooseberry in the summer
Feeding gooseberries needed in the initial period of the formation of the fruit. This is the time when the bush spends on the berries a lot of power, nutrients. Additional support will not hurt him. During this period, the plant most in need of phosphorus and potassium. Nitrogen is introduced only as an accompanying element in small quantities. From minerals, you can choose, for example, "Superphosphate". An average of 70 g of fertilizer is taken per square meter (one bush).
Important! Superphosphate increases the acidity of the soil, so it should be used only on condition of timely liming of the earth or if the soil itself is not acidic.
To the taste of the berries was saturated, you can use potassium salt as a top dressing during the formation of berries. 40 g of potassium sulfate or two-component potassium nitrate will suffice per bush.
Organic matter is recommended as wood ash. It contains not only potassium and phosphorus, but also nitrogen, lime, manganese, boron, and other useful elements. It syplyut under a bush, evenly buried in the soil. Under one adult bush you need about 1-2 kg of ash.
How and what to feed gooseberries in the fall?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Planting strawberries in the fall
- The best varieties of blue plums
- Planting spring garlic
- Zucchini variety Aral F1
Autumn preparation of the gooseberry for a rest period begins with harvesting of fallen leaves under a bush, pruning damaged and dry twigs, processing from pests, diseases, digging the ground. And only after all these procedures, you can begin to fertilize the bushes.
Top dressing of a gooseberry in the fall
- If summer and autumn were rainy, it is worth pouring a liter jar of wood ash under each gooseberry bush and prikopat it a little with earth.
- A solution of biohumus will help restore the bush and activate its protective forces before winter. For 1 cup of purchased product, a bucket of water is taken and poured out at the root.
- In the autumn, the gooseberry responds well to mineral fertilizers. 100 g of potash nitrate and 120 g of double superphosphate are taken for each bush. Fertilizer is taken in dry form and simply embedded in the ground.
- Instead of the above mineral fertilizers, 80 g of potassium sulfate, 90 g of potassium carbonate, or 400 g of potassium nitrate can be used. You need to choose only one of the three!
- Manure, humus, hay, shredded weeds act as ideal autumn mulch. The latter option can add pests and diseases to the bush, as well as manure, so they should be handled very carefully. Mulch is decomposed with a thickness of 8-10 cm right under the bush, but so that it does not touch the root zone!
Features feeding gooseberry
In order not to harm the bush should carefully consider how and what to feed the gooseberries and when to do it. The following are recommendations from experienced gardeners and helpful tips.
Proper gooseberry nutrition
- The gooseberry, like any other plant, is usually planted in prepared, nutritious soil. For this reason, in the first 3 years of growth in a new place, he does not need additional feeding. Only at 4 years old it is worth starting fertilizing under a bush.
- Throughout the year, the plant needs nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. The only thing that differs in different seasons is the concentration of certain elements.
Before you make a top dressing under a bush or on a bush (foliar top dressing), it is worthwhile to thoroughly prepare the gooseberry. Namely: to cut off all the sick, damaged and old pagons, process the bush from parasites, diseases, loosen the soil.