Many gardeners prefer grape varieties that do not have seeds. They are very convenient in processing, suitable for preparing desserts, jams. Grapes Velez - a bright representative of seedless grapes. It also highlights the high yield, relative ease of cultivation and many other qualities.
Description varieties Veles
Veles grapes - raisins early maturity. Clusters can be plucked as early as 100-105 days after the beginning of the growing season of the crop. The hybrid was bred by a Ukrainian breeder, by crossing the varieties Sofia and Rusbola. Bushes grow tall, grow quickly. Flowers bisexual. Vine for the year matures to 90% of the entire length. Leaflets are wide, with a shiny front surface. The back side is less bright in color and more rough.
Clusters are voluminous, large, medium friability, can reach a weight of 1.5 kg
Clusters are voluminous, large, medium friability, can reach a weight of 1.5 kg. Berries of medium size, 5 grams each, in rare cases, berries are recorded of 10 g each. They do not contain seeds (III-IV class of seedlessness). The skin is thin, dense, dark pink or purple. Pulp marmalade, with a high content of sugar, there is no crunch when biting. The taste is harmonious, very rich. Muscat flavor.Interesting! Veles grapes received two gold medals at the international competition "Golden bunch of grapes" in 2010 in the categories "People's Tasting Commission" and "Professional Tasting Commission".
Characteristics of the grapes VelesRead also these articles.
- Winter apple varieties
- Tomato variety Honey
- Honey Apitonus
- How to store garlic in the winter in the apartment
Grapes Veles has a number of positive and negative qualities. You can study them below in the characteristics of the hybrid.
- Early ripening. Due to this, this culture can be grown not only in the southern but also in the middle, northern regions.
- Bisexual flowers make it possible to obtain large yields even if the bees do not pollinate the crop.
- High immunity to the main diseases of the vine (mildew, oidium).
- There is a cracking of berries at high humidity.
For a season about 7 kg of brushes can be collected from a bush.
- Resistance to frosts up to -21 degrees Celsius.
- Culture is sensitive to precipitation. With increased humidity, maturation is delayed, the berries can begin to rot on the bush, and the plant's root system becomes vulnerable to many diseases.
- Commercial quality at the highest level. At the same time the berries are very tasty and fragrant.
- Grapes are harvested not only from the main branches, but also from stepchildren. For the season about 7 kg of brushes can be collected from the bush.
- The grapes Veles love wasps - they are required to protect the clusters, otherwise the harvest will suffer greatly.
Despite some shortcomings, the growers manage to grow this hybrid without problems, in case of compliance with the rules of planting and care.
Features of planting varieties
Planting grapes Veles held in spring or autumn. Pits make a diameter of about 70 cm and with the same depth. The distance between the bushes and the rows is observed in 2 meters, so that the plants could develop and the care of the bushes is not complicated. It is recommended to plant a support before planting, so that as you grow, you can tie up the vine.
Veles grapes are planted in spring or autumn
Young bushes or cuttings should have a healthy look. Any damage, signs of pests are excluded! Before planting, seedlings are placed in water for 1-2 days so that they are saturated with water.
Drainage is made in the pits, a layer of nutritious earth is poured on top (a mixture of humus, garden earth, and ash). Then a hill is made of soil, and a seedling is placed on it with a slope of 45 degrees. Grape roots fall asleep evenly from all sides, so that it is easy to adjust its height and slope. When the pit is filled, it is necessary to compact the soil and water the seedlings. After planting, it is recommended to mulch the top layer of the earth with mulch from humus, sawdust, straw or peat.
Caring for Veles grapesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Gooseberry variety Northern captain
- What soil is better for seedlings
- Sheep meat
- How to feed a horse?
Proper care will provide a gardener abundant harvest of sweet grapes Veles.
- Most of the water is needed during the growth of green mass bush. Then the liquid is applied only as the earth dries. If the summer is rainy, the bushes do not water at all, because this hybrid does not tolerate high humidity.
Of the pests most problems because of wasps and birds
- Trimming is done 1-2 times a year. The excess vine is cut, the one that grows incorrectly, is sick, damaged. It also does not hurt from time to time to remove old pagons.
- Crop normalization allows you to collect more weighty clusters with an abundance of large, juicy berries. But it is necessary to cut not only the deprivation of the bunch, but also the leaves, which prevent sunlight from penetrating deep into the bush.
- Veles has almost never been affected by many diseases, but just in case the growers still carry out comprehensive preventive treatment at least 2 times a year - in spring and summer. For this you can use fungicides like Switch, Bordeaux mixture, Polyhome, Topaz.
- Of the pests most problems are observed with wasps and birds. The easiest way to protect grapes from them is with protective nets into which each cluster is placed separately. And from other pests (aphids, scale insects, spider mites) you can use insecticides Actofit, Fitoverm, Gaupsin and the like.
For winter, Veles grapes must be harbor in the middle and northern regions
- For winter, Veles grapes must be harbor in the middle and northern regions. To do this, use simple mulching with peat for 25-30 cm. Mulch is placed in the root zone, but so as not to come into contact with the vine itself. Most often, gardeners untied the bush from the support, lowered to the ground and simply covered with agrofibre. From the edges of the fabric is fixed with earth, so that it does not rise from the wind.
Harvesting and processing
Harvesting Veles begin around the beginning of August. Berries can ripen unevenly on the bunch, so you need to keep an eye on this in order not to pick up an unripe brush. Ripe grapes can be stored for a long time right on the vine, up to 1.5 months if the weather is dry. But it could be damaged by wasps, birds, so Veles is recommended to be collected immediately after ripening.
Veles can be used to make summer salads, desserts or pastries.
Harvested grapes can be used for fresh food, cooking summer salads, desserts or pastries. He is good at jam, jams and other winter preparations. Also, this hybrid produces sweet homemade juice.It is important! To prevent wasps and birds from damaging the berries, it is worthwhile to put the clusters before full maturity in special protective bags.
Reviews of grapes varieties Veles
Opinions of gardeners about Veles grapes are presented below.
- Elena Lozovaya: "Velez is a very good grape variety. It ripens in early August and gives great yields. There are no seeds, so you can eat berries without fear for it. I make jam, desserts and eat fresh from the harvest. I like it not only , but also to children, to her husband. The only thing for which these grapes, as for me, is unsuitable is for making wine. "
- Mikhail Krasikov: “A few years ago I planted 3 bushes of Velez grapes. In care, he wasn’t moody, only he doesn’t like high humidity. rot, use fungicides right away and hide it from rain. The crop goes on sale for the most part, leaving only a few brushes for food. "
- Dmitry Mazur: "Veles has been growing grapes for many years. When the harvest is big and the brushes grow large, the lower berries ripen for a very long time. So it happens, we pick them unripe. By mildew and oidium it is stable, but every year I still spend processing Bordeaux liquid just in case. And since the clusters sometimes rot during long ripening, I shorten many of them. So I save most of the crop if the summer is rainy. "