Big turkeys have always been in demand. They have a lot of tasty, juicy meat and little fat, so the broiler turkey carcass is considered dietary. It is recommended for illness, during the recovery period, as well as in a number of diets of various kinds. Food for large turkeys must be selected correctly so that the turkey, which belongs to a large species, grows larger.
Large breeds of turkeys for meat
To large breeds of turkeys carry heavy birds meat. Their peculiarity is that the weight of adult males often exceeds 29-30 kg! Females are slightly smaller, but with good fattening they can reach 15 kg or more. The most popular big turkeys include such breeds: "Canadian broiler wide-breasted", "Big 6", "Bronze wide-breasted", "White wide-breasted".
Large breeds of turkeys are grown for meat
The North Caucasian Bronze, Moscow Bronze and Moscow Whites differ in smaller sizes, but they are very popular and distinguished by their viability. Male weight can reach 22 kg, and females - 14 kg.
And yet, despite the growth potential, the turkey will not be large if it is fed incorrectly. Only a complete feed for large turkeys, including everything you need, will allow you to grow a giant bird. On a simple feed, the size of the turkey will be average.
What are the features of feeding large turkeys?Read also these articles.
- What grain to feed laying hens
- Quail brooder
- Sheep meat
- Flowers Pansies
A big bird eats a lot - you need to be ready for this. This is not a chicken or even a simple breed of turkey. Heavy turkeys eat tight, so it is worth to stock up on food. But before proceeding to the features of food for a large bird, it is worth determining the characteristics of feeding a large turkey.
For feeding large turkeys pick up feed
- To feed turkey poults and adult individuals of meat, large breed, costs the same as simple turkeys, but with the selection of the correct feed;
- Breeds of large turkeys need to walk! This is very important, because if they do not move, the meat will be too fat - they are prone to obesity and can gain not only muscle mass, but also fat;
- Food for large turkeys is given 3-4 times a day. In the evening, fed dry food. It is slowly digested, so the bird does not get hungry until the morning;
- It is recommended to give fresh mash only. Dry food should always be in the turkey, sprinkle it only as needed;
- Do not neglect the paddock. In the warm periods of the year, he greatly saves money breeder. During the walk, the turkey may thoroughly eat, otherwise, it will eat more in the turkey-hen;
- Feeding birds to the face (regardless of breed) is possible from any age. The main thing that is important is that by the time of slaughter the bird should gain the maximum weight, and this should be a start when choosing food and diet;
- Fattening for slaughter begins 20-30 days before slaughter! The main food at this time is grass (they themselves find it on the street), animal feed, flour mash;
- To prevent large turkeys from starting to lose weight in winter, you need to maintain a nutritious diet. To do this, dried nettle, alfalfa, needles, spruce and other useful herbs. They are poured into mash potatoes and fed in winter. Despite the fact that the grass is dry, it is very nutritious and beneficial to poultry.
Important! It is necessary to take into account that the younger a turkey, the tastier its meat. Older individuals give a lot of meat, but it will be less soft and may not look very attractive (be dark).
Food for big turkeys
The daily feed rate for a large, adult turkey - 500-800 g. In this case, it will grow rapidly, gain muscle mass, but will not overgrow with fat. It is impossible to say exactly how much and what a turkey should eat, but an approximate diet should include: grain, greens, fish, meat waste, meal, meal, flour mixes, cottage cheese, jelly.
Food for large turkeys should be varied.
Cereals give turkeys up to 70% protein, minerals and vitamins are supplied with greens and meat, fish waste (they are often replaced by meat and bone, meat and fish meal), milk. Fiber, essential for adult birds, is provided through hay, straw, and other dry herbs. And to make turkey meat tender and juicy, lard, acorns, vegetable oil and walnuts are mandatory. But as an additive in small quantities.
Below is a sample table of the daily ration of a large turkey.
|5-6 kg||6-7 kg||7 kg or more|
|Grain Dert (corn, oats, bran)||250||300||350|
|Corn (corn, millet)||70||70||80|
|Carrots, sugar beets, swede, pumpkin, turnips||50||50||60|
|Meat, fish, food waste||100||100||100|
|Meat and bone meal||10||10||15|
As you can see, food for large turkeys comes out not cheap, besides you need to be able to make it up correctly in each individual case, and the age of the bird, the breed, the period of its life (fattening or simple feeding) affect the diet. Therefore, often breeders just buy feed. It is expensive, but it pays for itself, if we manage to set up regular production.
Feed for big turkeysWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Jam of plum without stones for the winter
- Grade apricot Khabarovsk
- Canned fish in autoclave
- Planting cucumbers in open ground
On feed, large turkeys grow rapidly. However, they rarely get sick, have tender meat and beautiful meat color. But the main problem of such feeding is the price. Good feed is expensive, especially since turkeys need to purchase a special feed developed for them. The store feed for large turkeys is divided into species by weight and age of the bird. For example:
- PK-11 ("Starter") - for newborns;
- PC-11-2 ("Starter") - from 5 to 13 weeks;
- PK-12-1 - for 14-17 weeks;
- PC-13-1 (sometimes referred to as "Grower") - 15-30 week;
- PC-14 - young tribal.
- Compound feed at the final stage of fattening is called "Finisher". It is given to the bird from 2 months before slaughter.
Indkov fed grain for quick weight gain
Important! Even if a breeder feeds turkeys with fodder, you still need to add shell, salt, chalk, vegetable fats (sunflower oil), acorns and walnuts to the diet.
As a rule, mixed feed is acquired so that turkeys reach their maximum size in just one summer, while ideal conditions for pasture feeding are created on the street. In about 4-5 months of feeding with mixed feed, turkey reaches a normal mass for slaughter. But during this time he eats a lot of expensive feed. So, for one female, 16 kg of feed are purchased for 4 months, and for a male, twice as much!
If after 4 months the turkey has not gained the desired weight, it is fed for 2-3 weeks with nutritious flour food, consisting of:
- 25% wheat bran;
- 25% barley flour;
- 20% corn flour;
- 15% oatmeal;
- 3% yeast;
- 1% salt.
How to make feed for turkeys at home?
Turkeys eat a lot, and the prices for the purchase of mixed feed are very high, so often breeders make feed on their own from purchased components. This saves money, but there are a few nuances.
- Must be apparatus for the manufacture of animal feed. It’s not worth giving a mixture of the products on offer, these should be exactly granules, then you can surely call food compound feed. Pellets are easy to deal with and they are well eaten by poultry.
- Proportions must be strictly observed.
- At the first signs of poultry weight loss, it is worthwhile to start changing the composition of the compound feed, selecting those products that would otherwise be useful for it. It is important to take into account all the points. Young turkeys need more vitamins and minerals to develop bones and joints, and not just build muscle mass. For females that carry eggs, calcium and protein are important, and more flour products are introduced for fattening poultry.
Make turkey feed at home
There are a lot of options for homemade food for large turkeys in the meat direction. Below is the best option for simple feeding (not for fattening) of an adult individual.
In the preparation of 1 kg of feed is taken:
- 680 grams of wheat and corn grain (you can choose one thing, but the mixture is better);
- 130 g of sunflower or soybean meal;
- 80 g of herbal and fish meal;
- 40 g of fodder yeast;
- 30 grams of limestone;
- 30 g of chalk;
- 10 g of salt.
Healthy turkey food
Vegetation is an integral part of bird nutrition.
Food for large turkeys should be nutritious and healthy. If there are not enough vitamins and minerals in the diet, problems with bones and joints can begin, because it is not easy to carry so much weight on yourself! Greens - the main source of all nutrients for poultry. From 3 days of life chopped onions are introduced into the turkey poults nutrition, and even more so for an adult bird!
It is also important for turkeys to eat dandelions, clover, quinoa, woodlouse, wormwood, duckweed, rdest. From garden crops, you can give besides onion, dill, cabbage, lettuce, parsley, arrows and garlic leaves.