Cabbage is a demanded vegetable. It is used to prepare a wide variety of dishes at any time of the year, as well as used in medicine and cosmetology. And although this vegetable is considered extremely useful, it has its drawbacks. The main problem is the short shelf life. The article will describe how to store cabbage in the cellar in the winter and what should be done to extend its keeping life.
What varieties are suitable for storage in winter?
The shelf life of cabbage directly depends on the selected variety. The cellar can save the elasticity and freshness of the head only if the cabbage is of medium or late ripening. So before storing cabbage in a cellar in the winter, it is necessary to decide on a grade.
Not all varieties are suitable for winter storage.Important! Cabbage for storage in the cellar is purchased no earlier than September!
Early cabbage lasts from one to two and a half months. And then rapidly deteriorates. On the tab in the cellar, it is not suitable at all. They eat it fresh, straight from the garden and this is its peculiarity. Mid-season varieties are suitable for storage in winter, but there are a few nuances.
- The ripening period should be as long as possible.
- Heads should be tight, as tight as possible, with no voids inside, like summer ones.
- With such cabbage, you need to be more vigilant: often go through.
Of the mid-season cabbage varieties, the "Gift", "Glory", and "Merchant Girl" have proven themselves well. They lie until the end of winter, do not get sick, do not wilt, if the conditions are good.Important! If the cabbage is not grown for storage, but is bought, it is worth buying it from trusted and honest sellers. Only in this case, you can be sure of the name of the acquired variety and its quality characteristics.
Late-ripening cabbage is ideal for laying in the cellar. Among the best varieties worth recommending "Wintering", "Amager", "Morozko", "Garant F1". According to consumer reviews, the last two may lie even before the summer harvest of cabbage.
Cellar preparationRead also these articles.
- Pavlovskaya breed of chickens
- Compound feed for laying hens
- Corn varieties
- Grade of Bazhen's grapes
Knowing how to store cabbage in the cellar in the winter, you can provide yourself with a tasty vegetable for the whole winter. But here many different factors play the role, and not just the correctly selected cabbage variety. The second stage of preparation for storage - cleaning the cellar.
Preparing a cellar for kaput
- All that remains from last year (residues from vegetables, dirt, sand, paper bags or nets, boxes) must be removed.
- After that, the dirt is swept away, the dust is removed, the cobwebs, the stains that are often formed from spoiled vegetables are washed off.
- It is recommended to treat the cellar with whitewash (lime) or something similar to prevent the development of mold. But before that you need to wash the walls and floor.
- After such thorough cleaning, it is necessary to put wooden platforms on the floor, on which the crop will be laid, to check the ventilation and lighting.
- The temperature in the cellar should be in the range from -1 to +2 degrees Celsius. In any case, for cabbage is an ideal option.
How to prepare cabbage?
Before you store the cabbage in the cellar in the winter, you should prepare it for a bookmark. So, what kind of cabbage is suitable for storage and how to cook it?
- Before buying cabbage, you should decide on the method of storage. In some ways, need to head with roots!
- The forks should be tight, tight, rounded, perhaps a little flattened on top.
- The longest are the average mass of the head. Large and small should be put in a separate place and consumed first.
- Before laying it is worth removing all the bad top leaves. They may contain spores of fungi, the larvae of pests, because of which all vegetables will be in danger.
- If the cabbage is wet, it must be well dried in a dry place or on the street.
The best ways to store cabbage in the cellarWe recommend reading our other articles.
- The best winter varieties of cabbage
- The better to feed the goslings from birth
- Peony Varieties with Description and Photos
- Giovanni grape variety
Since you can store cabbage in the cellar in the winter by different methods, you should choose the ideal option. The following are the most effective and popular ones.
The best ways to store cabbage in the cellar
- In a wooden box, cabbage lies well. Boxes are used breathable (with large cracks or holes in the walls). The root of the vegetable is cut. The top, spoiled cabbage leaves are also cleaned (dry, rotten, damaged). Cabbage does not fit very tightly so that there is good ventilation between the individual heads. The drawer does not close at the top. They put filled boxes on stands or shelves so that there is a space of 20 cm or more from the floor. From the walls should be the same space.
- To keep the cabbages dry and stay fresh longer, you can pour them with sand. This is done either in a container (the same wooden boxes), or directly on the floor of the cellar. In this case, a platform is made so that the cabbage does not lay directly on the cold floor, or a thick layer of sand is poured onto the floor, which protects the cabbage. Over cabbage keeps within and is poured by layers of sand. Each head should be "wrapped" sand protective layer. From time to time it is worth checking that the sand was dry. Wet necessarily replaced.
- Cabbage garter is the easiest and easiest method of storing it in the cellar. But in order to keep it that way, it is necessary that she has a whole root! A beam is fastened in the cellar, and cabbages are suspended on it on strings. They need to be delivered only from the top rotten leaves! During this storage, excellent ventilation is provided, and rodents or the same mold cannot reach the harvest. Garter allows you to store cabbage until May. The upper leaves, of course, will dry out, but under them there will be a whole, even and clean head.
- Food film storage is a popular modern method. Food film is sold in any supermarket or store, so that the method is considered cheap and affordable. What to do? Heading cleaned from dirty and damaged leaves. It is important to ensure that there are no pests or rot inside. Then the food film wraps the head on all sides in 2-3 layers. It is worth ensuring that there is as little air as possible inside! After that, the cabbages are laid in the cellar (in boxes, bags, or simply on the platform). They will lie until the middle of spring or early summer.
- Another popular method is storage in paper. Each head is wrapped in plain paper, baking parchment or a newspaper. It is necessary to lay them out in one layer (on other vegetables, dais, cans). In this form, cabbage lies until spring and does not spoil.
- If cabbage in the cellar is often affected by diseases or pests, you can use clay to store it. Heads dipped in liquid clay (sour cream consistency), then dried and hung by the root in the cellar, on the beam. Clay protects the vegetable from moisture, pests, diseases and mold. But before use it must be thoroughly washed.
How much cabbage can be stored in the cellar?
Cabbage kept in the cellar for a long time
Above it was described in detail how to store cabbage in the cellar in the winter. But how much can it be stored there? On average, the cabbage storage period is 3-6 months. But this is not an accurate indicator. A large role is played by the variety, the type of cabbage ripening (mid-season, late-ripening), its condition, temperature and humidity in the cellar. The better the condition of the heads, the cleaner they are, the more whole, the longer they will lie.Important! Cabbage hybrids are stored the longest. They may lie on occasion even until August! But it is necessary to use late-ripening varieties. In this case, the shelf life will be 9-10 months.