Raspberries on the plot is grown by many gardeners. The curative berry can be consumed fresh, preserved, added to fruit drinks, and even frozen for the winter. But in order to have a lot of berries and they did not shrink every year, it is necessary to replant it every 10 years to a new place. Raspberry transplant in the fall to a new place with all the details will be described below in the article.
Why replant raspberries in the fall?
Raspberries can be transplanted in spring or autumn. But each of these periods has its drawbacks. Nevertheless, transplanting raspberries to a new place in the fall is considered to be more convenient, beneficial for the gardener. Why?
- In the spring in raspberry boxes there is no such intensive movement of juices as in spring, therefore it is much easier for plants to settle down in a new place. It puts all its strength on this.
- Autumn weather is always more favorable spring for plants. Autumn has a lot of rain, the climate is temperate, cool, without belated unexpected frosts or dead wood as often happens in spring.
- If it is correct to transplant raspberries in the fall, next year it will give a harvest. But in the case of spring transplantation, the harvest can be expected only in the fall, in remontant varieties.
Photo of a transplanted raspberry
When to replant raspberries in the fall?Read also these articles.
- Raspberry variety orange miracle
- Tomato variety Banana legs
- How to get rid of the wireworm?
- What to feed a cow?
If the gardener decided to transplant raspberries in the fall, he should choose the right time. Most gardeners refuse autumn transplantation simply because they can not properly pick up the period and as a result the bush freezes in winter.Important! If the gardener is late with a raspberry transplant in the fall, it is worthwhile to postpone work in the spring. Transplanting raspberries in a hurry before the frosts will not give anything good.
The main rule of transplanting raspberries in the autumn to a new place is to be in time for frosts. To do this, you should focus on the beginning of autumn, and not on the middle or the end of this season. Even in the northern areas of the September transplant gives good results. The best time is the end of autumn, starting with the 20th number, but still it’s worth focusing on the local climate. If frosts do not appear before November, then you can take the time and put off planting bushes in October.
Our readers recommend reading: how to properly prepare raspberries for winter, the best raspberry varieties for central Russia, the best varieties of raspberry raspberry.
However, if young raspberry bushes are transplanted, it is worth carrying out the procedure earlier. As young plants always need more time for rooting. This applies to both simple and remontant varieties.Important! Experts note that raspberries are not capricious in terms of terms of transplantation. Each gardener can set a date for himself, the main thing is that there should be at least 20-30 days before the first frost.
Raspberry saplings prepared for transplanting
How to choose a place for a new raspberry?
Not only the time of transplant need to be able to choose the right. Place to fit must meet many requirements. If the ground or the place is bad, the plant simply will not take root, or this process will stretch, and the new raspberries will freeze out at the first frost. What place is suitable?
The place should be open, sunny, but on the one hand protected by a wall, fence or natural fence (shrubs, hill). This is necessary so that the young raspberries do not start falling in the fall or in the winter under strong winds. However, the fence can be installed and specially, for the time of rooting sprouts, but the sunlight is not artificially spent, therefore the place should be lit from all sides. The penumbra is possible, since in the summer in the sun, one way or another, it is necessary to arrange artificial canopies for raspberries.
Raspberry transplantation in the fall to a new place should be carried out only on fertile, drained soil with moderate acidity. Swampiness is not allowed! If nothing had previously grown on the site, a month before the transplant, it is necessary to dig it in order for the grass to "go" under the ground. It will feed the roots of shrubs for the first time, bending it.Important! The precursors of the culture can be legumes, cruciferous, solanaceous. Tomatoes, cucumbers or cabbage will be planted next to the shrubs in the future, they will be able to enrich the land with substances useful for raspberries.
Land preparationWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Tomato Ketchup
- Black carrot
- Felt cherry
- Clematis Multi Blue
Raspberries can be transplanted in a trench or pit. The first option is preferable, it simplifies further care, but this is an amateur - each has its own criteria. Prepare the earth in advance, in about 2-3 weeks.
If the holes are made, then their size should be approximately 40x60 cm. 50 cm of free space is left between the holes, so that the raspberries can grow and grow. With the trench method, a strip is made on the depth of a spade bayonet and approximately 1.2 m long, but more is possible - it all depends on the size of the future raspberry pin. The remaining preparatory work is approximately identical.
If the plot is in a valley, you can put a little drainage (rubble) on the bottom. Then compost is poured from rotted leaves, grass, young twigs. You can also add wood ash, it will not interfere, but it will become a disinfectant and a nutrient. On the compost bucket takes about a liter jar of ash. A layer of black soil (up to 10 cm) is laid over the compost.
So that until the transplantation of raspberries in the pits (trenches) the grass does not sprout, they are covered with roofing material, black agrofibre or any other material that does not transmit light.
Autumn Raspberry Transplant
Raspberry transplant in the fall to a new place?
Raspberry transplant technique is not difficult. If you stick to the rules, there will be no problems, the bushes will quickly take root and will not freeze in winter.
- For transplanting selected good, powerful bushes with developed root processes. If the root is weak, take root raspberries will be long. Before planting, shoots are cut so that there is no more than 70 cm from root to apex.
- Before transplanting the plant, it is necessary to pour warm water over the ridges (holes) and allow the ground to fully absorb. But in principle, watering can be carried out after planting the bushes - it does not matter.
- Raspberry transplantation in the fall to a new place is carried out on one sapling. First you need to install it in a ridge or pit, then straighten the roots, so that they move in all directions, and then sprinkle with earth.
- After transplanting the land around the bush should be mulched. As a mulch under raspberries, you can use peat, straw, sawdust.
- To the bushes do not fall in a strong wind, they are tied to a trellis or pegs.
Care and preparation for winter
Transplanting raspberries in the fall to a new place may seem like a simple process even for a young gardener. But after the procedure is completed, the new raspberries need proper care before frost.
- Watering for young bushes carried out once a week. But, if it rains often, watering can be avoided at all. The main thing to ensure that the earth was wet.
- Before the onset of frost, all weed grass is pulled out as it appears.
- Fertilize bushes after they take root. If at this point the frost does not hit, you can pour out about 1 liter of mullein tincture under each bush (diluted 1:10 with water).
- For the winter, the bushes are mulched, if this has not been done before. Mulch is laid out in 15-20 cm. It can be straw, hay, peat. Sometimes dry cow dung is used. Throughout the winter, it overheats, and in spring it seeps into the ground with melted snow and feeds the awakened raspberries.
- Pruning until spring is not carried out, as the bushes were pruned during planting. Additional stress will only weaken them.
- The last watering is carried out about a month before the frost. For every square meter should go 3 buckets of water.
- Bending down young saplings for winter is not recommended, but if it is necessary, then it is possible, but very carefully, so that they do not break loose. The procedure is done right before the frost, for a week, not earlier.
- If the raspberry is small, you can not bend it down, but simply build a protection of thin agrofibre. It will protect the bushes from severe frosts, but will not be able to heat the air under them so that the raspberries start growing.