Savoy cabbage was bred in the Italian city of Savoy, whence the name came. It was brought to Eastern Europe only in the 19th century, but it did not receive wide distribution in comparison with the white one. Although experts note the tenderness of its leaves, and a pleasant, more refined taste. How to grow Savoy cabbage in open field, to care for and water it, as well as the best varieties will be described below.
Savoy Cabbage Features
Savoy cabbage is in many ways similar to white cabbage, but it also has distinctive qualities. The heads are beautiful, rounded, usually even, without abnormal curvatures, not elongated. The leaves are corrugated, strongly curved and thin. They grow cabbage in the open field, it is not demanding to care and feels good in the southern and eastern regions.
The taste is similar to the white, but more tender, pleasant to the taste. Thick and hard streaks are completely absent, so it does not need to be cooked for a long time, it quickly softens. Not hard, but in fresh vegetable salads crunches. The aroma is thin, pleasant.
The nutritional value of savoy cabbage is much higher than that of its white or red sister. A large number of biologically active substances, a reduced rate of fiber and an abundance of healthy fats makes it really useful.
Photo Savoy Cabbage
What is the use of savoy cabbage?Read also these articles.
- How to feed the peonies in the spring?
- How to get rid of dandelions
- Cherry variety Lyubskaya
- What is a laurel cherry
Not all types of cabbage are useful if you eat them often, but Savoy can be considered an exception. It is even often prescribed by doctors for the treatment of various ailments.
- It contains an abundance of vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, C, E, PP, such minerals as phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium, calcium, iron. Also available: sugar, fiber, mustard oils, proteins, carbohydrates, ash substances, thiamine, riboflavin, phytoncides, amino acids, pectins.
- Thanks to glutathione, savoy cabbage can increase skin elasticity, prevents aging, improves the immune system, and is involved in restoring the nervous system.
- Ascorbigen was first discovered in its composition in 1957. This substance is able to block the development of cancer tumors and does not allow them to grow.
- It is much more nutritious and softer than white squirrel, so it is easier and more pleasant to eat.
- It can be used by people with diabetes, as well as those with high blood pressure.
- Due to the fact that it is quickly absorbed, it is prescribed instead of the white one for children, the elderly, and the postoperative and recovery period after mild and serious diseases.
- It removes excess water from the body, increases appetite.
100 g of the product is only 28 kcal, and in boiled cabbage - 24 kcal. For this reason, this type is recommended for people on diets who want to lose weight.
Damage to savoy cabbage and contraindications
And even though savoy cabbage has a lot of useful qualities, it is not for everyone to eat it. Because of the fiber in the composition, it can harm people with exacerbation of gastritis, ulcers, pancreatitis, thyroid disease, and those who have undergone surgery on the intestine or stomach.
However, during the recession of the disease, a patient who still uses cabbage is better to give preference to the Savoy variety rather than the white variety, since there is 25% less fiber in it, and therefore it brings less harm.
Do not eat cabbage for children under 7 months. It is also not recommended for people with individual intolerance to the product, although such cases are extremely rare.
Our readers recommend articles.: the best varieties of broccoli cabbage, how to plant cabbage on the seedlings, the better to feed the cabbage seedlings.
The best varieties of savoy cabbageWe recommend reading our other articles.
- The best grapes without seed
- Broilers Cobb 500
- Business on growing greens
- Turkeys breed BIG 6
Savoy cabbage has many varieties and varieties, differing in ripening time, peculiarities of cultivation and some other parameters.
- "Melissa F1" - mid-season variety. Twisted sheets, medium corrugation, color dark green. Heads are round-flat, weighing up to 3 kg. Productivity is high, stable. There is resistance to cracking, fading.
- "Sphere F1" mid-season hybrid. Cabbage color is dark green. Curly leaves moderate. The shape of the head is almost round, weight up to 2.5 kg. The yield per square meter reaches 10 kg. The hybrid does not crack.
- "Vienna early 1346" - an early variety of savoy cabbage. Upper leaves are dark green, inner ones are lighter, strongly twisted. There is a slight wax coating on the upper leaves. The shape is round, the density is moderate. The weight of one head to kilogram. Prone to cracking.
- "I swear 1340" - medium late grade. The best taste is achieved only in the winter, 1.5-2 months after harvest. The heads are round, flattened from above, rather loose. Average weight - 2 kg. Because of the looseness of the head of cabbage, they are average.
- "Crom F1" - mid-season hybrid. Leaves strongly twisted, green. The heads of savoy cabbage are quite dense, rounded in shape. Weight up to 2 kg, the inner stalk is very small. Can be stored for a long time, has excellent taste.
- "Madeline F1" -strong-growing hybrid of savoy cabbage with a growing season of 90-105 days after transplanting. It has colorfully expressed blistering, color is saturated green. Fruit weight from 1.3 to 3.5 kg, depending on the density of planting. Storage period 3-4 months. It has high resistance to stressful growing conditions.
Photo of savoy cabbage Melissa F1, Vertu 1340 F1, Madlein F1
From the well-known and common varieties also distinguish: "Kornalin F1", "Viros F1", "Classic", "Vertus", "Alaska F1", "Early Gold", "Ovasa F1", etc.
How to grow and care in the open field?
In cultivation, savoy cabbage is fairly simple. It grows the same way as the white one, the methods are not much different. It is usually grown by the seedling method, but in the southern areas it is possible to sow seeds immediately to a permanent place in a greenhouse or open ground. If seedlings are made, then they grow it for about a month at home (until 5 leaves appear), then quench and only after that they are transplanted to a permanent place.
Subsequent care includes timely watering, feeding, removing weeds from the garden bed, hilling, spraying from pests and diseases. The positive quality of this type of cabbage is that it is more cold-resistant than white cabbage and can withstand recurrent spring frosts or significant cooling, temperature changes throughout the summer.
It makes no sense to describe more detailed cultivation instructions, since, depending on the variety of savoy cabbage, the planting time, the temperature of seed germination, the abundance of irrigation, the place for planting, feeding and similar moments differ.
How to choose and store savoy cabbage?
When buying cabbage Savoy cabbage you need to follow some rules, so that at home, cutting it, see fresh head, and not sluggish or spoiled.
- Heads of cabbage should be soft, not very dense, resist under pressure.
- The form is always rounded. Strange, elongated or twisted heads are better not to take.
- If the upper leaves are tainted, rot, then inside it can be bad.
- Color is only green, of different shades, always uniform with white veins.
If the hostess gets a few heads at once or even a whole net, it is important for her to know how to store savoy cabbage so that it does not spoil for a long time.
- This is a tender variety, so it loses moisture quickly. To reduce the loss of fluid, it should be wrapped with plastic wrap and put in a refrigerator in the department for vegetables. As such, it will be fresh for at least 3-4 days.
- Early varieties of savoy cabbage are not stored for a long time, but middle-late and late varieties can lie for 4-6 months in the cellar. They differ in darker upper leaflets.
- If you need to store the Savoy cabbage collected from the garden, then you need to find a dark room with a temperature of 0 ... +3 degrees Celsius and humidity of 90%. Folding cabbage is recommended in boxes (wooden) or nets suspended from the ceiling.
- For the winter cabbage is to freeze, in this form it is stored up to a year.
- Interestingly, Savoy cabbage is often dried. To do this, chop it, lay out one layer and dry at a temperature of + 50 ... 60 degrees in an electric dryer or oven. Dried Savoy Cabbage does not lose its beneficial properties up to 2 years! True, its color darkens, but in the dishes it becomes lighter and more pleasant.