Peach is a tasty, healthy fruit. Its main drawback is the price. Due to the high cost, it has become popular to grow peach in home gardens. This is not difficult to do, but since the peach does not like frost, it alone will hardly survive in the middle and northern regions. Grafting a peach in spring to another tree allows you to increase the survival rate of the crop, even with very strong frosts, and increase the yield of the tree. The article will describe how to graft a peach and what is needed for this.
Peach grafting tools
In order to graft a peach, you must have a cutting (peach), pruner, banding material (adhesive tape, electrical tape, bandage, food wrap), as well as a knife. All sharp tools should be heavily machined so that the cuts are even, not curved, and so as not to harm the branches with which the gardener works.
Peach grafting tools
It should be noted that there are special grafting secateurs, which are very convenient to use if budding is carried out often. They are not cheap, but have several knives of different shapes. When cut, the grower gets the exact grooves on the graft and stock, which then very well connect. However, purchasing a graft pruner is only provided that the gardener often vaccinates trees, as it is not cheap and it is not profitable to purchase it for the sake of one or two grafts from a financial point of view.
What can be planted peach?Read also these articles.
- Milk replacer milk replacer
- Drinkers for cattle
- Description melon varieties Ethiopka
- What to feed calves from the first days of life
Practicing grafting peach can be on any trees. But only some tree species are considered the best stock. So, why is it worth planting a peach in the spring for quick growth and maximum benefit to the tree and gardener?
- Peach, of course, is one of the best peach rootstocks. Connecting different varieties you can get unique fruits. Peaches, grafted on a peach, have very tasty, high-quality fruits, their yield is high from year to year.
Peach, of course, is one of the best peach rootstocks.
- Cherry plum wild - an ideal stock in almost any case. Recommended in regions with heavy, saline and marshy soils. The peach will grow medium size, making it easier for the grower to pick fruit. Such a crop has an early fruiting, annual, abundant yields. But not all varieties of peach are suitable for cherry plum, but only “Kievsky” and “Upper Storage”.
- Plum can be a good stock, like apricot, if you choose the right grade. "Hungarian Donetsk", "Hungarian Italian" - an excellent choice, but on the sink, "Anna Shpet" most likely the peach will not survive.
- Almonds - most often used in the southern regions, where it grows. The tree is tall, strong, so it is ideal for peach, especially as peaches of any varieties take root on the almond. Also a significant role is played by the fact that the peach grafted on almonds gives 2 times more yield than the grafted on apricot.
Vaccination of a peach in the spring can also be carried out on felt cherries, turn, only the chances of survival will be low, as practice has shown.
How to instill peach in priklad butt kidney?
The first thing to do for inoculation is to find a peach stalk. In early spring, you can cut it from a tree or prepare it from autumn - the main thing is that the branch has “live” buds. Now you need to find a stock. It can be any tree, but preferably a young one, since it is on 1-4-year-old trees that the graft takes root best.
Spring kidney inoculation
After the tree is found and there is a stalk, the peach is grafted in the spring itself. To begin with, on a young branch or trunk of a tree (the thickness should be approximately equal to the cutting), you need to make a notch - just cut off the top layer of bark with wood in one place - with a smooth, smooth movement. The largest and most healthy kidney is found on the handle, and it is cut with bark and wood. It should make a long strip with a kidney. The peach bud is applied to the cut on the tree (they should be approximately the same in shape and size) and wrapped with tape, tape or gauze.
After about 2-4 weeks, you can remove the bandage - the kidney must fully settle. And for the winter it is worthwhile to cover the graft site with a bag or something similar. If the graft is located close to the ground (at the base of the tree on the trunk), you can simply pile up the tree so that the ground completely covers the place of the stock.
Bud budding behind the barkWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Variety of tomato gina
- Melotria or mini cucumber
- Proper fattening of pigs at home
- Mini Gilt Mini Pig
In order to inoculate the bark, it is necessary to find a good stalk or cut it from the tree just before grafting the peach in the spring. Then preparation of the scion is carried out. A horizontal incision is made on the bark of the tree trunk. From the middle of this notch, the bark is cut down by 5-7 cm (something like the letter T should come out). The bark should lag behind the tree, but the wood itself should not be hurt!
Bud budding behind the bark
Now you need to cut a bud from a peach stem. It is cut with bark. After that, the bark on the tree is folded over, the kidney is put inwards and the tree bark is pressed on top of it. Thus, the bark of the stock should close the peach bark, but the bud should be visible - it can not be hidden. It remains only to wrap this place with a film, cover with a plastic bag and leave for a few weeks.
After about 2-3 weeks, you need to unwind the graft, if the kidney falls off of the light touch, it means that the graft did not take root, if not, then everything is in order, it is again wrapped for 1-2 months and left alone to take the peach.
Copulation by cuttings
The grafting of peach in spring by cuttings is no less popular than the grafting by buds and gives good results. First you need cuttings. They can be prepared in the fall or cut in early spring, when vaccination takes place - as convenient.
- A cut is made on the stock - precise, even, without chipping. You can make it a graft pruner, a knife - if there is a practice or a simple pruner.
- Now the cut is done on the peach cutting, it should be similar to the cut on the tree. The cutting itself can be shortened by 2-3 buds. From the long sense will not.
Copulation by cuttings
- The penultimate item is the attachment of the stock to the scion. They should be like puzzles - exactly, exactly! The length of the slice, the width should be identical, only then everything will turn out. Only small discrepancies are allowed.
- After connection, the stalk and branch of the scion are tied with tape, tape or any other similar material so that they do not come apart. It is important to tighten the branches, otherwise they can disintegrate and spring grafting of peach will not succeed.
As soon as the graft is securely attached to the tree, you need to take a garden pitch and cover up the top cut of the cutting - where it shortened. Then a simple plastic bag is taken, put on a graft and tied below the budding point. This will maintain the high humidity necessary to grow the scion and rootstock.
From the sun, the graft is closed with a simple sheet of paper, which is also tied around the cutting. As soon as he sets in height (after 15 days you can start to look inside), it is worthwhile to slightly open the paper, but you need to completely remove it and polyethylene no earlier than in 1-2 months.
Grafting a peach is not difficult, the whole process takes no more than half an hour. It is much more difficult to wait for visible results of work. Listed below are tips for keeping your vaccine more effective.
Insert a bud on the stock
- It should be carefully monitored that the cuttings were of the same diameter as the branches of the rootstock, to which they will be grafted - the greater the coincidence in diameter of the graft and the rootstock, the higher the chance of survival.
- If cuttings for grafting are harvested in spring, then they should be cut in March-April - before the leaves bloom. And implant such cuttings immediately.
- Grafting a peach in the spring requires accuracy, so you should practice first with the method that was chosen by the gardener on simple chopsticks, and only then practice it on real cuttings.
- Do not touch the cut on a tree or a handle with your fingers, and the tool must be clean. Touching the place of the cut, you can put an infection in the tree!
- The cuttings, buds and trees to which the vaccination is being carried out must be absolutely healthy. They are thoroughly examined before the procedure in order to avoid further problems.
- Peach grafting is best done on trees that are less than 10 years old.
- Terms of fruit ripening in peach and rootstock (the tree to which it is grafted) must match!