When keeping cattle, it is important to provide animals with the necessary amount of water. For this purpose, drinkers are used, through which cattle can drink, as needed, every day. Drinkers for cattle come in different types, they can also be bought or made by hand. This article describes the main types of drinkers and their features.
Cattle water consumption
For cattle, it is imperative to consume large quantities of water. The animals are not small, so the flow rate of the liquid is high. A cow needs to consume about 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of milk, but not only for females it is important to drink large quantities of water, but for males and calves too. An adult animal per day can drink up to 70 liters of water, a calf - less. If animals drink enough water, it negatively affects their health, productivity and development (in the case of young animals). Drinkers are devices through which animals can comfortably drink water every day. But so that problems with drinking in these beautiful animals did not arise, drinkers for cattle must meet certain qualities.
Cattle water consumptionImportant! The drinker should be made from such a material that will withstand the effects of aggressive, chemical components. After all, disinfection of feeders and drinkers for cattle should be carried out regularly, at least once every 6 months, and if the material of the feeder does not withstand this procedure, it will be necessary to acquire a new design.
Drinker RequirementsRead also these articles.
- The best varieties of peas
- When to plant tulips in the fall?
- Romanov sheep breed
- How to cut onions for long-term storage
Not every cattle drinker can boast of high quality. So, what should be the ideal water tank?
- Safe - without sharp details that a farmer or animal could be injured.
- Eco-friendly - from high-quality raw materials that do not harm the health of cattle.
- Robust - this is a very important criterion, because the cattle is massive, heavy weight. If the drinker is made of brittle, poor-quality plastic or thin metal, it will not last for a long time.
The drinking bowl should be simple so that it is easy to clean, wash and disinfect.
- Simple - in this case it will be easy to clean, wash, disinfect.
- The shelves are also required to correspond to the age of the animal - to be attached at a certain level, so that not only adult cows and bull calves can comfortably drink, but also young calves.
It is also necessary to take into account when choosing a drinker for cattle that many of them are installed on the foundation or require connection to the water supply. So initially, before buying a drinker, you need to decide how it will connect, and where it will stand.
Types of drinkers for cattle
There are many different types of drinkers. It is worth understanding them not to be mistaken with a choice. First of all drinkers are divided into group and individual.
- Individual drinkers usually used when animals are tethered or in separate stalls. Such designs can be a simple bucket or more complex, automated systems. Such drinkers are convenient, primarily because they exclude the infection of animals through water (in the case of a disease of a single individual).
Individual drinkers are usually used when animals are tethered or in separate stalls.
- Group drinkers - This is a level drinkers for livestock. They are large, usually very comfortable and easy to maintain. From these drinking bowls several animals can drink at once. Such designs can be stationary or mobile.
Also drinkers for cattle are divided by location.
For pastures used mobile drinkers
- For pasture mobile drinkers that can be moved as needed are used. They have a convenient large reservoir (30-1500 l) so that the herd can drink as needed. If walking is located near the water supply, you can do without a tank of water, filling the mobile structure with water from a hose.
- For stall You can use different types of drinkers, as long as they are comfortable for animals and durable. In the case when there is also a young in the stall, a milk-drinker can be installed next to such drinkers.
According to the type of work, manufacturers make different types of drinkers for cattle.
Automatic drinkers for cattle are convenient because water flows into them as animals drink.
- Automatic drinkers for cattle (with valve-float delivery system) are convenient in that water enters them as animals drink. That is, when the water level in the drinkers decreases, water is automatically added to them. The design is made so that the liquid is distributed evenly across all tanks, so that all the animals in the barn can drink plenty, as much as necessary. Principle of operation: when the float in the main tank descends below the required level, water begins to flow into it, and when it is filled and the float rises to a certain level, the water supply stops.
Nipple drinkers are hygienic and easy to maintain
- Cup Watering Systems simple and practical. Inside the bowl comes a certain amount of water. When the cow drinks, the water becomes low (the bowl rises) and the fluid supply valve opens. When the bowl is full, it drops under the weight, closing the valve. The main problem of such drinkers is to teach them cattle.
- Nipple Drinkers for cattle contain the main body, nipple valves (nipple), sealing unit. They can be connected to the plumbing or replenished with a hose. These drinkers are hygienic and easy to maintain. In addition, they very rarely break, unlike analogs, but cost more.
Drinking bowl for cattleWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How to cut gooseberries
- Korean cucumbers for the winter
- Onion sets - varieties, planting and care
Despite the time of year, cattle should drink enough water. The normal water temperature in the drinking bowl in winter is + 12 ... +20 degrees Celsius. If it is lower, the animals will start to hurt, and this is extremely disadvantageous for the breeder and dangerous for the entire herd. But what to do in the winter when the liquid literally freezes in the bowls? In such cases, a heated drinker for cattle will help. Heating is carried out by a simple electric heating element. It is connected to the drinking trough, ground, isolate all the wires, so that the design was safe.
Group drinkers are level drinkers for livestock.
If finances allow, install individual tubular heating systems in the drinkers. When you need to save money, you can do with simple heaters connected to the drinkers. It is also possible to simply connect the water supply system to the central heating - this will simplify the task. It should also be borne in mind that water heating systems are used not only on walking (if the cows walk in winter), but also in the stall. The temperature there rarely reaches +20 degrees at this time of the year and the water will cool quickly, so heating the water is a must!
Simple drinking bowl for cows do it yourself
If the drinking bowl for the cows is broken, and there is no time or money to buy a new one, you can temporarily make a simple drinking bowl with your own hands. You can build it from metal, plastic, wood - that is at hand.Important! When arranging a drinker with your own hands, it is important to make such drinking containers that will be convenient for using cattle.
First of all, it is necessary to determine the size - the drinkers should be enough for all animals. The simplest version of the design involves the creation of metal troughs or gutters into which water will be poured. They are welded from a sheet of metal, and covered with paint. At the bottom of the trough is done to drain for excess water, so that you can conveniently clean the water bowl. Then it is necessary to weld the troughs of the legs or attach them to the wall. Water is poured into such drinkers from a hose connected to the water supply.
If necessary, the heating system is supplied to this drinker or warm water is simply poured. Over time, you can connect to the troughs water to facilitate the process of filling the drinkers.
Providing cattle with the necessary amount of clean, fresh water is the task and responsibility of every farmer. Drinkers for cattle are of different types, and are selected according to the needs of animals and the capabilities of the owners. If you wish, you can make a drinking bowl with your own hands, but this is a laborious task, because animals are not small and they need big, durable and reliable drinkers. Therefore, most systems for water are still purchased in stores.