How to store winter garlic so that it lasts more than 3-4 months? In fact, winter garlic in terms of storage, a very capricious culture. Only some hostesses manage to save him from damage for 5-7 months! But, alas, there are few such craftsmen. This article will help everyone who has never kept a culture before or who is not very good at it. It will describe the methods of storage and preparation of garlic for the winter, possible difficulties that may be encountered, tips and much more.
When and how to harvest?
In order to keep winter garlic, like spring, for a long time, you need to grow it properly, but mainly collect it.
- 3 weeks before harvesting, watering is stopped.
3 weeks before harvesting, watering stops
- The bulbs are harvested immediately after ripening - overexposure in the ground reduces keeping quality, and if they are immature, they can simply crumble during storage.
- You can dig out the bulbs only in dry weather. The ground must be dry, otherwise the heads will be wet, and this is not very good - the crop becomes susceptible to fungal diseases.
- In order to reach the head, they dig it in with a shovel and gently pull it out. It is very important not to damage the scales and teeth!
- After digging, the garlic is left to dry on the site for 12-24 hours and only after that is removed from the garden to be prepared for storage.
How to prepare garlic for storage?Read also these articles.
- How to feed garlic in the spring?
- Black-and-white breed of cows
- Platicodone Flower
- Raspberry tarusa
Harvest cannot be immediately hidden, as it is possible to store winter garlic at home only after thoroughly preparing the crop for this process.
- For 3 weeks, the heads of garlic are dried in a dry and ventilated room. Suitable for these purposes summer kitchen, a spacious room with large open windows, a balcony, a roof. This is done so that inside the head they become dry (usually after collecting between the internal scales there is moisture - condensate droplets).
Store winter garlic at home only after thorough preparation.
- After drying, the top layer of scales should be removed, because it is dirty and may contain eggs of larvae, fungal spores. Under the dirty scales should open clean, white or lilac. If blue stains are noticeable, then most likely there are worms or other pests in the head. Such storage material is not suitable, it is dismantled, all bad things are thrown away, and more or less normal teeth are eaten. It is worth noting that the head is best kept with three covering scales.
- Along with the harvesting of the top of the flakes, the stem should also be cut. As a rule, a small stump 2-5 cm long is left from it. The roots are also cut by 1 cm. Optionally, but if desired, the remaining roots above the fire can be burned. If they contain any eggs of larvae or diseases, they will immediately die. Trimming the roots and the stem is done with very sharp scissors or shears. It is important not to touch or damage the bulb itself so that it does not start to rot prematurely.
Where to store garlic in the winter?
A well-established ventilation system is needed so that the crop is not pre
Before you send to store winter garlic, you need to prepare a room for it. The room where it will lie should be dry. This may be a kitchen or any other room - basement, cellar, pantry, etc. Air humidity should vary between 50-80%. If it is larger, garlic will “pick up” fungal diseases, rot and rot.
The room should be not only dry, but also cool, with air temperatures ranging from 0 to +3 degrees, in any case, for winter garlic (summer ones need higher temperatures). A well-established ventilation system is needed so that the crop is not prel.
If garlic is stored in boxes (boxes, cans), then you need to prepare clean racks or shelves, and for the harvest in nets, pigtails, stockings, hooks are needed above the ceiling.
What to keep the heads of garlic?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Jam from apples for the winter
- Description and characteristics of radish Daikon
- Strawberry varieties
- White spots on eggplant seedlings
It's amazing, but there are an incredible variety of methods for storing winter garlic at home! More precisely, more than 50, but perhaps more, just not everyone uses modern hostesses, so not all are passed on, so to speak, from generation to generation. The following describes the most practical, popular and simple in terms of implementation methods.
There are many methods for storing winter garlic at home.
- In banks. Garlic is placed in large - 3-liter cans, the lid does not close and is stored in any cool dry room or room. You can sprinkle them with salt. Salt will not allow them to sweat, as it absorbs all the excess moisture. A layer of salt should be small - 5 cm maximum, but garlic can be spread in large layers by about 1/3. Salt is poured on the top layer of 2 cm. In winter, banks are revised several times (wet salt is replaced by dry). Salt in this recipe can be replaced with flour.
- The heads are poured into the cotton bag, and a little onion peel is put in there too. The size of the pouches can be large or small, depending on the needs of the hostess.
- Storage in vegetable oil. The method is very simple - heads are placed in a jar and filled with vegetable oil. In this case, the oil does not lose its benefit, it can be further used, added to salads, fried on it, it becomes even more fragrant. Some hostesses immediately before pouring the oil separate the individual cloves to simplify their subsequent use.
- In the usual plastic bag heads are laid, the bag is punctured in several places and put in the refrigerator. But this method has disadvantages. Since it is possible to store winter garlic in a paper bag only in small batches, it is suitable mostly for those who buy garlic, but not grow it.
- In a pigtail. When stored by this method, the stalks are not needed to be cut off. Garlic is woven into pigtails immediately after harvest, and only then it is suspended for drying and stored at the same time. It is only important not to forget to remove the top, dirty layer of husk and cut the roots.
- In a wooden box with small holes in the walls a small layer of salt is poured. A layer of garlic is laid on this layer, then sprinkled with salt. The procedure is repeated until the box is filled to the top. An alternative to salt may be ash, or sawdust.
Also, garlic is often stored in stockings, nets, cardboard boxes with holes in the walls, wicker baskets. All these methods are also good, and give good results, it is only important that the storage room meets all the above standards.
What difficulties are possible during storage?
There are a number of problems that most often occur when storing winter garlic at home. The following describes these problems and methods of dealing with them.
Approximate storage time of winter garlic at home - 4-5 months
- Sometimes the heads simply dry out during storage. To avoid this, you can dip them in liquid paraffin. But this method is applicable only to intact, intact heads. Instead of paraffin, you can use food wrap, but it is worth bearing in mind that small bugs can climb under it.
- If solar or any other light comes into contact with garlic, it can germinate. This problem often appears during storage, so it is important to ensure that the heads are full of darkness so that they lie longer and do not germinate.
- The formation of green or black mold is not a rare problem. These diseases affect primarily damaged onions and only then move to healthy ones. But how to store winter garlic so that it does not mold? To avoid the problem is simple, you only need to dry it in the sun after cleaning, and not in the shade, then the mold spores will simply die.
About once a month you need to pick garlic. Sooner or later, it will rot, illness, some fungi - this is normal, because it can not lie forever! But so that the whole container of garlic does not pick up the rot from one of the spoiled heads, they need to be checked and revised throughout the entire storage period. Those heads that have deteriorated, are used primarily or simply discarded, depending on the extent of the disease.
The approximate storage time of winter garlic at home is 4-5 months, in rare cases longer (7-8 months), so you shouldn’t delay its consumption, no matter what method it is stored.