Asiatic lily belongs to the lily family. This plant is originally from Asia, as the name implies. Culture hardy and resilient. There are several varieties of Asiatic lilies, which in turn are divided into varieties. This article describes the Asiatic lily and features of its cultivation.
Description of species and varieties
Breeding new varieties and hybrids of lilies initially began to engage in Japan. Then the Americans and Europeans, and then the Russians, took up the work of breeding new species. The most widespread Asian varieties and hybrids received in the 50s of the last century.
Selection work on the creation of new Asian species of lilies has been going on for more than a decade. Species and varieties of Asiatic lilies differ in appearance and some other characteristics. One of the classifications of species is based on the type of flower and the color of the buds.
Brashmark or flowers with strokes at the base of the petals
Brashmark or flowers with strokes at the base of the petals
This Asian lily has an interesting color. The flowers are monochromatic, but at the base of the petals, next to the heart of the flower, there are visible stripes, "strokes" of a different color. Among the most famous varieties of this group stand out: Delta, Elijah, Zhuravinka, Zorka Venus.
Two-tone Asiatic Lilies
Two-tone Asiatic Lilies
A group whose flowers have two or more shades. At the same time, they abruptly or smoothly transform one into another. The best grades of the group: Sorbet, Lollipop, Grand Cru.
Lilies Tango is a variety of flowers that have a thick, visible specks on the petals. The best varieties in this group are only two: Tasmania and Black Ay.
Pixies undersized lilies
Low-growing lilies that can be grown in small containers. The height of such plants is not more than 40 cm. The best varieties: Bazzer, Golden Matrix.
This is the most capricious variety of Asiatic lilies. They have terry flowers - petals are slightly twisted around the edges, which looks very impressive and unusual. Famous varieties and hybrids: Aphrodite, Miss Lucy, Fata Morgana, Fanny Twin.
Terry liliesInteresting! There are several dozen groups of Asiatic lilies. They differ in certain characteristics. But one, single, official classification for these colors has not yet been developed.
In addition, Asiatic lilies are also classified into three large groups according to the type of flower arrangement.
- The buds are directed upwards. In this group are distinguished varieties Detroit, Golden Stone, Mapira.
- Flowers are directed to the sides. Grades: Pink Perfection, Golden Splendor, African Queen.
- Buds look down. The best grades: Sea foam, Prominens.
Choosing a place to plant liliesRead also these articles.
- Why do goslings die?
- Raspberry summer care
- Recipes for crispy salted cucumbers
- Chestnut honey and its properties
Asiatic lily is a very beautiful plant that does not have high requirements for cultivation or care. But in order to achieve abundant, annual flowering, it is necessary to find a good place for the plant to grow.
- Landing area should be lit. In extreme cases, the plant can be positioned in the penumbra.
- Cultivation temperature + 18 ... +22 degrees Celsius. At this temperature, lilies not only grow well, but also bloom, form new bulbs.
- Humidity should be medium or high. Asiatic lily does not like dry air.
- Land for planting should be loose, drained, slightly acid. If the plant is planted in loamy or soddy soil, it should be facilitated in advance by sand or peat. If the earth is acidic, then dolomite flour is added to it before planting.
Planting Asiatic Lily
For planting are selected solid onions without abnormal spots, rot, mildew, with a solid bottom. It is better if they are large, then flowering will occur in the year of planting. But small bulbs in the year of planting color rarely, they need time for increasing size, development. Before planting in the open ground need to process the bulbs in a solution of Fundazol. It will disinfect them. If you do not want to use a fungicide, you can take a solution of potassium permanganate.
Planting is usually carried out at the beginning of autumn, so that the plants will take root, they could survive the winter without any problems and the next year they released flowers. In spring, these flowers can be planted from April to June, depending on the region - it is very important that the return frosts pass!Important! In order for the purchased bulbs to survive before planting, they must be stored in a cool, dark place.
Land for planting is first fertilized and dug up on a full spade bayonet, then it must be loosened and leveled. The pits are made at a distance of 35 cm from each other, about 20 cm deep. The bulbs are planted in pits one at a time, but the bulbs are small, then several pieces can be planted at once in one well. After planting, the bulbs are covered with soil and watered.
How to care for Asian lilyWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Breed Barbezie
- Breed of hens the Phoenix
- Better feed peach
- Quail Pharaoh
Growing Asian lilies requires proper care.
For planting are selected solid onions without abnormal spots, rot, mildew, with a solid bottom
- Watering is necessary regular and abundant, because these plants do not tolerate drought at all. At the same time, daily marshy ground can lead to the development of rot in the roots, so you need to give the ground a little dry out between water. For irrigation, only separated water is taken, warm, not cold.
- Bushes should grow on loose soil. In order to achieve this, it is important to sometimes loosen the ground or simply lay the mulch under the lilies.
- Best of all lilies of this type react to the introduction of organic fertilizing, although the minerals respond well. In the spring, some nitrogen is usually applied (0.5 liters of litter per 10 liters of water). It is important to remember that the Asiatic Lily does not tolerate the abundance of nitrogen, so it is better to add less fertilizing than more. Potassium and phosphorus should be applied during budding (100 g of wood ash per square meter, you can also take superphosphate and potassium sulfate). In mid-August, the flowers are fed a third time (20 g of double superphosphate per bucket of water).
- Trimming or forming a bush is not needed. At the same time, it is necessary to remove all withered leaves and dry parts of the plant, as they appear.
- Asian lilies cannot grow in one place for a long time, therefore they need to be transplanted sometimes. This is usually done every 3-5 years.
- Many varieties tolerate winter, but there are also species that do not tolerate frost. In this case, the culture is mulched before winter for 20-25 cm with peat, straw or similar insulating material.
Diseases and pests of flowers
Asiatic lilies are unpretentious plants, but they can get sick or be attacked by pests.
Among the pests, Asiatic lily bushes most often affect the onion fly, lily rattle, lily fly, aphid
- When fusarium appears, onion bulging can be noticed inside. Unfortunately, it is impossible to cure the disease, so the bulbs are dug out and burned to stop the spread of rot. All neighboring plants need to be treated after this Bordeaux liquid.
- Rust appears as stains on leaves that become rusty in color. To combat the disease, all the affected leaves are torn off and the plants are treated with a 0.2% Fundazole solution.
- Botrytis appears in brown spots on the leaves. The fungus moves to flowers as it develops. The easiest way to cope with the disease is to treat the bushes with a 0.2% solution of the same Fundazole or similar, potent agent.
Among the pests, Asiatic lily bushes most often affect onion fly, lily rattle, lily fly, aphid. Insecticides Aktara, Inta-Vir are used to combat them. They are effective and do a good job with these pests on lilies.
Asian Lily Reviews
Asiatic lily causes universal delight not only the beauty of the buds, but also a great variety of varieties, unpretentiousness in cultivation.
- Anastasia Osipova: "I love Lilies since childhood. These are very beautiful flowers, so they grow a lot in my garden. Asian hybrids acquired 4 years ago. Care for them is very simple, the main thing is to water and fertilize sometimes. They bloom excellently. They like the bushes always lush, there are many flowers and they are very bright. Even the seemingly pale yellow buds stand out as a bright spot on the lot! "
- Marna Kovaleva: “In the early spring, two years ago I bought two Asian lilies and planted it immediately in the ground. The place chose the sunny and prominent because I heard that they bloom excellently. So it turned out. When it came time to bloom, the bushes were filled with paints. I bought a terry a kind and one more, speckled. Well, the buds are simply very big! But unfortunately, they bloomed for only 2 weeks. This is their main drawback. "
- Galina Kryukova: “Flowers are a joy to me. I love to grow them. Lilies in my area grow different species. Asian ones also exist. Their main advantage is unpretentiousness and beautiful color, lack of short flowering. The first time I bought, the bulbs did not take root , but at the second attempt beautiful bushes have grown. They are blooming every year. This year I will be the first to replant them, see how the onions live and whether some of them can be seated. "